Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Name a beloved activity you had to give up to be Car-Free.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 10-17-18, 10:09 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts

I'll confess first.

Canoeing and kayaking. I miss that dearly.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-17-18, 10:17 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Driving.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 10-17-18, 11:41 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
Driving.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Got that out of the way fast!

NEXT!
Old 10-17-18, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Don't have any friends that can drive you to go canoeing? Or is that not allowed when LCF?
Old 10-17-18, 01:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't have any friends that can drive you to go canoeing? Or is that not allowed when LCF?
Friends, or at least friends with cars willing to chauffeur the car-less ideologue about, are probably not likely for someone verbal about his dislike for the activities of members of the "automotivist culture" and/or an unwillingness to spend money for his own transportation.
Old 10-17-18, 01:47 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Friends, or at least friends with cars willing to chauffeur the car-less ideologue about, are probably not likely for someone verbal about his dislike for the activities of members of the "automotivist culture" and/or an unwillingness to spend money for his own transportation.
^THIS is not me. I don't care who owns what or who drives what, when. I don't own a car because I don't want / need one. Strictly a monetary decision. If I were rich, I would own a car without a doubt. And an efficiency apartment with a 4-car garage for all my cars, boats, campers, and motorcycles.

I do not consider myself part any cycling or environmental "culture" in any way. Strictly a monetary decision. If I owned a dependable car I would then have to give up a lot of other things I love. And my health insurance at $730/month. Everything in life is a trade-off.

I don't have friends because I don't enjoy the company of others. I have the perfect wife with a thousand friends of her own - all of whom leave me alone most of the time. Kayaking is ruined with some other person blathering on about things I do not care about.

I seriously doubt that everybody in Car-Free is some kind of cult member, although I have seen a few here.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-17-18 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 01:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I don't have any friends for the same reason I don't have a car - not worth the price I have to pay.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-17-18, 01:53 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Drive in movies
Old 10-17-18, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Good point. I was thinking that the activities mentioned are often done in groups.
Old 10-17-18, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I don't own a car because I don't want / need one. Strictly a monetary decision. If I were rich, I would own a car without a doubt.
So you would want/need one if you were rich?
Old 10-17-18, 02:57 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I haven't given up sailing, canoeing, even advanced education courses, tourism even flying, camping, eating out and just about any of the stuff I would be remotely interested in.

And this was over a period that exceeded 10 years to living without owning and very rarely driving any motor vehicle.

Growing up and and using the mind to work out alternatives is very hard for some, but not really me.

As far as the canoeing goes, I live near a river and there is storage for enthusiasts to put their craft in a building that is also a yacht club. If necessary, I could choose that option instead of storing two craft -- one a single, the other large canoe -- plus two sail boards at home, and maybe using a motor vehicle to move them for water use.
Old 10-17-18, 04:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Rowan
As far as the canoeing goes, I live near a river and there is storage for enthusiasts to put their craft in a building that is also a yacht club. If necessary, I could choose that option instead of storing two craft -- one a single, the other large canoe -- plus two sail boards at home, and maybe using a motor vehicle to move them for water use.
I had a launch about 20 minutes walk from my house. I pulled a kayak on a folding kayak dolly to the launch, then strapped the dolly to the deck while paddling. I could also pull the kayak for 20 minutes behind a bicycle to a different place. I just got bored with those two places and a 30 minute car trip would produce some much more interesting places to paddle. So YES, I can do it, just not worth it in the long run. Certainly I can, and do rent cars but there are rules about strapping boats to them. Were you insinuating that I am not smart enough to figure out how do do things? Shame.

So you would want/need one [car] if you were rich?
Would I NEED one in the sense that I NEED to keep my health insurance premiums and doctors paid? No. Do I WANT one based on the fact that I have no place to park one where I live? No thanks. BUT...if I were RICH, I could pay to park the car in a private garage out of the weather and away from thieves and vandals, afford to insure a decent, dependable car with full coverage so I could lend it to car-free friends (I still would not use it enough to make the car happy). I would LOVE to have a dependable car at hand anytime I wanted one. No doubt. Need? Does my next-door neighbor NEED a pickup truck? He's not a farmer. But he has one.

Good point. I was thinking that the activities mentioned are often done in groups.
Kayaking alone on a moonless clear night in the swamp is awesome. One other QUITE person is OK. I used to kayak on Lake Fausse in Lake Fausse Pointe State Park and pick a cold, clear, calm night. If I was careful with my paddle strokes to not stir the water too much it felt like floating in outer space, as the stars were reflected perfectly under me in the water. Literally surrounded on all sides by stars. The lake was just large enough to not see the shoreline from near the middle. A religious experience that company could not improve upon. And realize that I biked across the USA five times solo, self contained. I am not in need of constant companionship like most people. Except for scuba diving, I'm going alone.

Originally Posted by Rootman
Drive in movies
You still have drive in movies near you???
Old 10-17-18, 04:59 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Were you insinuating that I am not smart enough to figure out how do do things? Shame.
Did I actually nominate you in the comment?
Old 10-17-18, 05:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Rowan
Did I actually nominate you in the comment?
I should have used a winkie emoticon. I was just messing with you.
Old 10-17-18, 05:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I didn't give up anything during all the years I was car free. Still went to work, went to uni, walked lots, cycled more than ever, went to the places I wanted to go, etc. etc.

I actually added an activity ... I travelled a whole lot more.
Old 10-17-18, 08:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Car shows
Old 10-17-18, 08:58 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Hauling dirt for landscaping projects and scrap metal to the recycler. Solved the problem when I bought a truck. Still car free, but now have a way to get the big jobs done. Only used when needed and hasn't seen 1000 miles yet this year.
Old 10-17-18, 09:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Hauling dirt for landscaping projects and scrap metal to the recycler. Solved the problem when I bought a truck. Still car free, but now have a way to get the big jobs done. Only used when needed and hasn't seen 1000 miles yet this year.
Good idea! I hope no one on Car-Free takes issue with a utility vehicle on hand to get WORK done. If I could figure out a way to have a vehicle actually make money for me, or save me considerable expense, I would likely have one.
Old 10-17-18, 10:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't have any friends for the same reason I don't have a car - not worth the price I have to pay.
Does that mean all yours are dying too? Bummer, ain't it?
Old 10-17-18, 10:28 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I had a launch about 20 minutes walk from my house. I pulled a kayak on a folding kayak dolly to the launch, then strapped the dolly to the deck while paddling. I could also pull the kayak for 20 minutes behind a bicycle to a different place. I just got bored with those two places and a 30 minute car trip would produce some much more interesting places to paddle. So YES, I can do it, just not worth it in the long run. Certainly I can, and do rent cars but there are rules about strapping boats to them. Were you insinuating that I am not smart enough to figure out how do do things? Shame.

Would I NEED one in the sense that I NEED to keep my health insurance premiums and doctors paid? No. Do I WANT one based on the fact that I have no place to park one where I live? No thanks. BUT...if I were RICH, I could pay to park the car in a private garage out of the weather and away from thieves and vandals, afford to insure a decent, dependable car with full coverage so I could lend it to car-free friends (I still would not use it enough to make the car happy). I would LOVE to have a dependable car at hand anytime I wanted one. No doubt. Need? Does my next-door neighbor NEED a pickup truck? He's not a farmer. But he has one.

Kayaking alone on a moonless clear night in the swamp is awesome. One other QUITE person is OK. I used to kayak on Lake Fausse in Lake Fausse Pointe State Park and pick a cold, clear, calm night. If I was careful with my paddle strokes to not stir the water too much it felt like floating in outer space, as the stars were reflected perfectly under me in the water. Literally surrounded on all sides by stars. The lake was just large enough to not see the shoreline from near the middle. A religious experience that company could not improve upon. And realize that I biked across the USA five times solo, self contained. I am not in need of constant companionship like most people. Except for scuba diving, I'm going alone.

You still have drive in movies near you???
I think the last feature I saw was a Herbie The Love Bug movie.
Old 10-17-18, 10:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
Driving.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Passing other cars for sure...
Old 10-18-18, 09:30 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Does that mean all yours are dying too? Bummer, ain't it?
Well, I really compounded that problem. I "retired" (the first time) when I was 30. So most of my friends were retirees -- athletes who couldn't find peers to keep up with them, have time, or money to do hiking, climbing, canoeing, bike touring, road cycling, etc. So when I was 30-40, my friends were 65-75. All but one are gone. Then as I aged, like them, I had to recruit younger and younger friends who had time and money to pay their share. I didn't like most of them so I gave up. Down to two buds, in their early 50s. One just moved away. So....

Yes. It's a bummer. Thankfully I am good on my own. My wife is an athlete thankfully so I get enough friend time with her. Not a cyclist tho. Hiker/climber.
Old 10-18-18, 09:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Passing other cars for sure...
I pass WAY more cars on my bike in a day than I pass in a year in a car. I drive near the speed limit in a car. I'm that motorist in your way.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-18-18 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-18-18, 01:20 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Random road trips to deserted places and camping.

My significant other and I used to do this from time to time. Winter camping in southern California was great - not that cold, but too cold for Californians. We also enjoy the Badlands of South Dakota, and found a place in Colorado that was too far out for the usual summer crowd.

It's not much of a loss at this point. We do not like humidity, or trying to sleep in humidity, so it would be quite a drive to go anywhere suitable from our current location on the border of Wisconsin and Minnesota. We can still get a car to go places, it just requires planning ahead a couple of days.
Old 10-22-18, 12:22 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

I pass WAY more cars on my bike in a day than I pass in a year in a car. I drive near the speed limit in a car. I'm that motorist in your way.
To clarify, I'm not passing any Mustangs on the interstate like I used to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.