Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help please! Mismatched Sturmey Archer cables and brake handles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-09-19, 11:17 PM
AL NZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Cable style is modern and doesn’t recess into handle

Excess cable length
Help please!
i am fitting some Sturmey brake hubs to my old BSA, with old brake handles. There is a big length mismatch in cable length of at least 4cm, as per photo.
i am going to search around for different handle and cables. But I am not sure why I have this problem.
when I was a kid my grandfather turned me up some brass cable ends on his lathe, that we then soldered onto the cables. Not really an option here... I could cut the end off the cable and and put on a screw-up cable end?
Old 10-10-19, 12:00 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...to get the cable housing to fit into those lever ends, you need to find a couple of stepped ferrules. I'm not sure you can buy only 2 over the internet, so I'd shop around at some of the local bike shops, asking if they have them. Many still do. If you still have your old cable housings, you can usually remove those ferrules from the ends of those and if the housing is the same size (5mm usually), you can reuse them.

To replace those ferrules on your cables now, you'll need to cut the lower end off, slide it out of the housing, swap the ferrules, then reinsert the cable in the housing. Then you find some kind of stop bolt with a hole in it to slide onto the lower end of the cable, and use that to adjust for the length you need. You might need to shorten the length of the housing as well, to get a good installation fit. So if you don't already have one, buy yourself a bike cable cutter like the one from Pedro's.

If you've not run brake cables before, you might want to consider hiring this job out to a professional.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-10-19, 04:12 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 397 Posts
Look at things like these Dorman Cable barrels. These may not be the right size nor strength for brake cables but you'll get the general idea from the pictures. An image search returns numerous options, sized and styles.
Old 10-10-19, 05:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://shop.odysseybmx.com/products...y-cable-knarps
Old 10-10-19, 05:59 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
I’m guessing those levers originally had some of those knobby ferrules on them. Like these. A decent lbs would probably just give you a pair.
Old 10-10-19, 06:23 PM
littlevikingca

Bikes: Kona Sutra, BMC SLX-01, BMC CX-1, Ridley Fenix, Claud Butler European, '50's Humber Roadster, '53 Rudge Pathfnder, '94 Trek 930, '48 Rochet Super Special, 60's A. Boisis "demi-course"

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
HSK715 Brake Cable Pinch Bolt Assembly /Pinch Bolt HSK770

Sturmey Archer apparently make a "Pinch bolt" for this application, in the past they were called HSK715 Brake Cable Pinch Bolt Assembly. A 2017/18 catalogue has them listed as Pinch Bolt HSK770 and they are readily available online if your local shop doesn't have them. A search on "Sturmey Archer Pinch Bolt" provides more options than one including the parts number.

The ferrule at the lever end has been mentioned by others.

Nice project!

Last edited by littlevikingca; 10-10-19 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added Search info, spelling correction
Old 10-11-19, 12:07 PM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for all the advice.
i found some cylindrical screw-up cable stops in brass that are the perfect size from an engineering shop, and some ferrules (old Diacomp ones I think), so under control.
here is a photo of my ‘workshop’ at the moment! Stuff everywhere...