Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road Id

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 03:19 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
how would anyone know to contact RoadID and request my info be texted, it's not like there's a RoadID logo nor a RoadID phone number on my bracelet
It's literally on the RoadID *if* you ordered it with the updateable online emergency response profile. First four lines are whatever you want, then fifth & six lines are:

FOR EMERGENCY INFORMATION
1-800-345-6336 | MyRoadID.com

Website directs the person to look at the back of the roadID for the serial # and PIN to access the information. Presumably the call center does similarly.

Per other comments, EMTs on-scene aren't likely to be looking up any info, they're gonna be focused on getting you to the ER.

I imagine it'd be useful if you need the hospital folks to know more than just your emergency contacts phone numbers, particularly if your emergency contacts don't always carry their phone or they forget they put it on silent or other things which may delay a response.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-15-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 03:46 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Phones get smashed, or thrown clear and not collected with your personal belongings.

ID won't tell them your spouse's or (adult) children's cell numbers so they can be reached when nobody's at home

Of course you don't need some online service with subscription costs to do this either; that's the key info you have on the roadID itself whether or not you do the additional stuff.
That all seems so highly unlikely as to be improbable. I see no need for RoadID.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-16-21, 12:09 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
road id is a waste of my money
Old 12-17-21, 04:58 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
road id is a waste of my money
Explain please
Old 12-18-21, 10:07 AM
gadgetadam 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Road ID and I pay the yearly fee. Along with my Road ID on my watch with my name, DOB, State, NKA, NKDA, Blood type, and organ donor I have a laminated card in my wallet next to my driver's license with that info and more but also referencing the 800 number with my Road ID and Password. This way there are two places on me, limited info on my watch and more information in my wallet where both are referring to Road ID's phone and website in case someone needs more info. This more info adds things like medical history, insurance info, contact info, along with more and things maybe someone after treating you would make it easier to find out.

I think it's worth it but I never want anyone to use it.
Old 12-18-21, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
An average of 3.4 million motorists went to the ER due to accidents for the period of 2017 and 2018.

Maybe we should find out what they use. <grin>

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db410.htm
Old 12-23-21, 06:30 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Lots of angles on this, but I've been riding with a RoadID bracelet for a long time. It has my name & address, two contacts to call and " O+ / NKA " written on it. If I get to the ER and need a transfusion, that might be useful. I don't necessarily expect a first responder to care, but if I'm unresponsive, someone at the hospital can act on this info. Cheap insurance for having that info available in a bad situation.
If you need blood transfused before an ABO/Rh and antibody screen can be performed, (emergency uncrossmatched blood) if you are a male over the age of 18 you will be receiving O Pos units (under 18 everyone gets O Neg). O Neg for women of child bearing age, O Pos beyond that. It doesn't matter in most trauma centers if you even have a historical blood type on file, you're still going to get O Pos or O Neg units based on age/gender. Once a current blood type is determined, you may receive Rh compatible units, or even ABO/Rh compatible units, depending on the particular hospital and state that you're in when you get traumatized. No one cares/trusts/believes or uses that kind of info in those situations, ever, because getting it wrong can lead to a negative outcome. So, O it is, until proven otherwise and type specific can be transfused.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 12-23-21, 06:36 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But what if you don't do either?

What if because you don't get help soon enough you are just a brain damaged useless thing your family has to care for?

Not that an ID tag is going to give you help any quicker. But sharing your location with google maps or other apps might. I ride solo quite a bit in not so busy areas where it might be 20 or 30 minutes before any other passes. Sometimes no one all day. My wife has my location on several different apps that track me for her. Also, there are two different apps that will alert her and others on my list if the apps think I crashed.

It makes the both of us feel a little better that when I'm out in the middle of no where that even if I'm unconscious, help might be on the way to my exact location.
I ride a lot of miles in areas where there's no cell service (from any provider) and I rarely see other human animals out there. Not many houses, not many people driving around looking for bike riders in need of medical treatment. There are no apps for that. Just something to think about.
Old 12-23-21, 07:30 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I have a Road ID wristband with blood type, allergies, and my emergency contacts, but I don't splurge for the service. Mostly for ID purposes for my inevitable splatter, but I do question how well it will stay attached to my wrist when it does happen. Reading the responses from those with more knowledge makes me question its value, but will keep wearing it. It also makes my loved ones feel safer.

Suppose best option would be to have it all tattooed on my chest?
Old 12-27-21, 07:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On my bike I have a dog tag with my name, my home phone number, and my blood type.
Old 12-28-21, 08:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On my bike I have a dog tag with my name, my home phone number, and my blood type.
The first responders will not bring your bike along to the ER. In fact, the first responders probably won't even glance at your bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-28-21, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The first responders will not bring your bike along to the ER. In fact, the first responders probably won't even glance at your bike.

Yes, leaving the dog tag attached to the bike pretty much defeats the whole purpose of having a dog tag.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-28-21, 01:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
But, it's a 'bent! The first responders will be oohing and aahing over the bike for 10-15 minutes before they even attend to the injured rider. In fact, they'll probably load the bike into the ambulance first. That's the incredible effect that 'bents have on people.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-28-21, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But, it's a 'bent! The first responders will be oohing and aahing over the bike for 10-15 minutes before they even attend to the injured rider. In fact, they'll probably load the bike into the ambulance first. That's the incredible effect that 'bents have on people.

"We can't help him, he don't ride a 1x!"
Old 12-29-21, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Sounds like an invitation for a dog attack.

And what about the trike you constantly claim you have? (Oops. You're slipping again.)
Old 12-29-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sounds like an invitation for a dog attack.

And what about the trike you constantly claim you have? (Oops. You're slipping again.)

Maybe his trike is a dog? Betcha didn't think of that possibility, Racer Boy B'crat!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-03-22, 06:09 PM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I had a John Doe wrist band, I mean road ID with all the important contact numbers of my family and the stitching came out and fell apart after a few years of use, sunshine, sweat and the occasional washing. Kind of dodgy construction for something that important. I now use a small military ID pouch around my neck that holds ID’s, contact info, emergency cash and the all-important car key if running with it.
Old 01-07-22, 12:47 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I suppose Road ID would be able to tell anyone calling that I can't have an MRI (implant in my heart). I do carry a wallet card, but if they don't see it, I'm dead.
Old 01-07-22, 12:58 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I spent 10 years as a firefighter / medic. If a patient was unconscious the last thing I would want to do is to try and contact someone to get a bunch of information that is of limited value in the field.

Airway, breathing, circulation, deficits, ...there are important things to worry about. Your name and address can wait. Calling your family can wait.

I need to stabilize the spine, then get an airway protection device and oxygen in place. Then get IV access. Then stop the bleeding if I can.
And in a rural location I might not even have cell phone access. Or I might be spending my bandwidth calling in a helicopter or ground ambulance.

The only times I can remember calling our
medical advisor, the ER doctor on duty, was to get permission to discontinue treatment and call the patient dead in the field.

The ER may want to contact your family, but not the medic in the field. I would probably look at the bracelet when I cut it off, and I would put it in the bag that I put your stuff like your helmet, wallet, and clothes. The ER might like it and it might make their job faster and easier, but not the EMT.
So it sounds like someone would look inside my bag to look for a wallet or other ID, and then send that to the hospital along with the patient. After you and the ER have saved my life, then someone will worry about I am, is that right? That's the way I assumed it would work. I don't carry a wallet (or a phone) but I do carry a laminated photocopy of my drivers license and on the other side is the "In case of emergency" contact. I always understood this to be for the benefit of the hospital, not the EMTs.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 01-07-22 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 07:30 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by goodwrench84
I had a John Doe wrist band, I mean road ID with all the important contact numbers of my family and the stitching came out and fell apart after a few years of use, sunshine, sweat and the occasional washing. Kind of dodgy construction for something that important. I now use a small military ID pouch around my neck that holds ID’s, contact info, emergency cash and the all-important car key if running with it.
RoadID sell replacement bands for ~$5-10. See https://www.roadid.com/pages/shop-road-id

Perhaps we have different standards, but "a few years" of UV and saltwater (sweat) exposure seems a decent enuf lifetime for something inexpensively replaced.
Old 01-15-22, 03:49 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
You don't need to spend money for something like that, you can get a bracelet or dog tags if you have some sort of health issues, or not, and just put your contact info on it. I don't even have a bracelet or dog tags, I have my contact information inside my helmet, and I have a state ID card in my saddle bag inside an Altoids tin which I wrote with a perm marker "ID inside" on the lid.

Besides, if I don't show up, and my wife can't reach me, and the cops are too stupid to look inside either the helmet or the seat bag, then she would call the cops to find out if a cyclist was involved in accident. So eventually I would be ID'd, so I'm not the least bit concerned...unless I had some sort of heath issue then I would take the step to get a medical alert bracelet or dog tags that doesn't cost something every year.

A lot of people want your money, and most of this stuff is nonsense and wasteful spending of one's money.

A phone won't be much good if it requires a finger print, and or a password, and you're unconscious unable to use it, thus the cops can't access it.
Old 01-19-22, 01:13 PM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You don't need to spend money for something like that, you can get a bracelet or dog tags if you have some sort of health issues, or not, and just put your contact info on it. I don't even have a bracelet or dog tags, I have my contact information inside my helmet, and I have a state ID card in my saddle bag inside an Altoids tin which I wrote with a perm marker "ID inside" on the lid.

Besides, if I don't show up, and my wife can't reach me, and the cops are too stupid to look inside either the helmet or the seat bag, then she would call the cops to find out if a cyclist was involved in accident. So eventually I would be ID'd, so I'm not the least bit concerned...unless I had some sort of heath issue then I would take the step to get a medical alert bracelet or dog tags that doesn't cost something every year.
FWIW RoadID sells tags and bracelets without any annual fee. Five lines of whatever you want, laser etched into a metal bit that you can wear on a bracelet, place on shoelaces, or put on your watch band. Typically folks would put their name, city, and emergency contacts phone numbers on them. You needn't pay them another cent unless you need to buy a new tag.

The OP subscribes to an *added* service interactive service which still has the tag with 5 lines of info, but also provides direction to whomever reads the tag that additional info is available via website or phone call, and to see the back of the tag for the code/PIN to access the info. I'd say most folks don't need that additional stuff, but it could be useful for folks with more complicated health histories and such. Again, this is an *additional* service one can sign up for - or just buy the basic laser engraved tag/bracelet/whatever and you don't pay anything else.

You may still not feel the basic no-subscription tag is worth it - despite fairly common discounts - and that's fine. My point is merely to dispell the perception that the subscription is the only thing offered.

A phone won't be much good if it requires a finger print, and or a password, and you're unconscious unable to use it, thus the cops can't access it.
Lucky for you Apple iPhones don't require finger print or password to display your the medical / emergency contact info you wish to display. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209053 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207021

I'm not sure about Android phones but would imagine they offer a similar functionality.

Last edited by gpburdell; 01-19-22 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 05:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Road ID is $29 and up for an ID bracelet you can get on Amazon for $12 or even less if you shop. I just don't see the need for them as I stated before and why, but I don't have a medical condition either, and even if you do, you should already have a medical alert ID the day after you found out you had a medical condition requiring an alert!! Just sayin.
Old 01-20-22, 06:30 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Road ID is $29 and up for an ID bracelet you can get on Amazon for $12 or even less if you shop
I paid $14 for the one that goes on my garmin watch band. Coupons are readily available if you do a quick search and/or wait for a sale.

Do post the link to the $12 alternative you found - it'd be a help for other readers - all the ones I saw in a brief search on Amazon were more expensive than that.
Old 01-21-22, 09:39 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by gpburdell
I paid $14 for the one that goes on my garmin watch band. Coupons are readily available if you do a quick search and/or wait for a sale.

Do post the link to the $12 alternative you found - it'd be a help for other readers - all the ones I saw in a brief search on Amazon were more expensive than that.
Amazon.com: Dementia Identification Bracelet - Free Dark Laser Engraving Custom Personalized Handmade Black Matte Onyx Bracelet for Men Women (Black Braided String): Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

Amazon.com: Custom Free Engraving Stainless Steel Men's Red Medical Alert Cross ID Bar Identification Bracelets for Men Boy: Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

https://www.amazon.com/Bracelets-Emergency-Engraving-Wristband-Adjustable/dp/B095P7Q3SV/ref=sr_1_57?crid=FEB4G98P0HL2&keywords=id+bracelets+for+men&qid=1642822582&sprefix=id+bracelets+for+ men%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-57

Without going through all the pages, that's just what I found on one page, all with different style, from steel, to leather, to nylon bands, and all have free engraving.