Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

This is a First (for me)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

This is a First (for me)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 08:38 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
This is a First (for me)

I was riding a few days ago in a rural subdivision (very little traffic). I was going down a slight incline at maybe 25 mph and well ahead of me I saw a small panel truck begin to back out of a driveway. It looked like he was slowing down to stop, but he just kept going (quite slowly), backing out into the right hand lane (he intended to exit going in my direction). I had plenty of time to react and sat up and coasted by him in the left hand lane about the time he came to a stop. He obviously had no idea that I was there (and I am not sure why he was creeping out so slowly). I gave it no thought at all.

A few minutes later I was slugging up a short but steep hill and (as it turned out) this same panel truck passed me. But he paused (window open on the passenger's side) and apologize for pulling out in front of me.

That is a first in my experience.

dave
Old 01-25-22, 08:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
See, not all drivers are AHs. Bit clueless though.
Old 01-25-22, 08:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
...he paused (window open on the passenger's side) and apologize for pulling out in front of me.
Had that happen a few times. Luckily I was going at low speed (normal for me now days).

Ya know my wife and I checked out a few new cars two year ago. One thing we both noticed was limited viewing and wide blind spots. Maybe that's why they have more cameras now days.
Old 01-25-22, 08:45 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Don't worry about it. Strangers try to talk to me all the time. I just "drope the hamer" and dial it up to 400 Watts and leave them wondering. If it happens again you can either wave or ask them if they ride clipless, or what their favorite chain lube is, or which saddle you should be riding, or what shoes/gloves/eyewear. The possibilities are nearly endless! (But real cyclists don't have time for idle chit-chat.)
Old 01-26-22, 04:30 AM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
I had that happen a few times back when I was commuting. It was nice to see the person in the car be polite. Of course, for every nice person, there were 5 a**holes that were not apologizing and polite.
Old 01-26-22, 06:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,028 Posts
Don’t you go gettin’ soft now, DaveLeeNC !
Old 01-26-22, 08:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheels4
I had that happen a few times back when I was commuting. It was nice to see the person in the car be polite. Of course, for every nice person, there were 5 a**holes that were not apologizing and polite.
Ditto x3.
Old 01-26-22, 10:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I've done that a couple of times. I've also had to honk at a car to prevent a head-on when they are blind-curve passing an on-coming cyclist, and then felt obligated to apologize to the cyclist afterwards.