Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Safety razor

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Safety razor

Old 03-03-22, 11:33 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
These type of shave cream tubes work great for traveling. I'd usually transfer it to a smaller squeeze bottle. I like that I know how much is left, unlike the travel size pressurized cans.
An example from Target. 6 ounces.

Old 03-03-22, 11:50 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
+1 for Panasonic shaver
+1 for cool breeze on my face
+1 for more kisses
+1 for sunglasses off = better eye contact
Old 03-04-22, 02:59 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I was telling my wife about safety razors. She wanted if they would good for shaving her legs. Comments?
Old 03-04-22, 05:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
I was telling my wife about safety razors. She wanted if they would good for shaving her legs. Comments?
Gillette marketed a Lady Gillette razor, an internet search will identify that.

Otherwise I am clueless on that topic.
Old 03-04-22, 08:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
Women's fashion pre-WWI

King* Gillette wins a contract to provide all the Doughboys of the US Expeditionary Force with safety razor kits**.

The veterans take their safety razors home.

Women's fashion in the mid-1920s:

So obviously the safety razor does a good job of removing leg and underarm hair. There are variations within the type: a degree of 'aggressiveness', handle length and diameter, weight and balance, etc. Personal preference.

You know how bike&gear manufacturers will offer the same designs but in pastel colors for women cyclists? Yeah, safety razor manufacturers offer the same razors but in rose gold.
Often 'leg shaving' safety razors will have longer handles; this is apparently something that got worked out empirically over the last century.

*Yep, that was his first name: 'King'.

**You really, really wanted to be shaved smooth in the trenches so your gas mask would seal.

Last edited by tcs; 04-16-22 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 01:21 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I think all you no-shave bearded neaderthals are forgetting the weight-weenie aspect. By bringing a razor you are actually shaving off weight every morning.

And don’t get me started on those long-haired hippies among us!

Thankfully we are all serious cyclists and we shave our legs at least once a day.

Last edited by imi; 03-09-22 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For imi:
Old 03-09-22, 07:02 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I think all you no-shave bearded neaderthals are forgetting the weight-weenie aspect. By bringing a razor you are actualling shaving off weight every morning.

And don’t get me started on those long-haired hippies among us!

Thankfully we are all serious cyclists and we shave our legs at least once a day.
I just wanted to say how that made me laugh
Likes For djb:
Old 03-10-22, 12:14 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
**You really, really wanted to be shaved smooth in the trenches so your gas mask would seal.
yup.
My grandfather had burn marks on his back his whole life from hunkering down during a gas attack, the mustard gas or chlorine gas or whatever it was would settle down onto everyone, hunched over making sure the gas mask was on tightly--but you'd be scared ****less out of your skin, especially if as my grandfather, as a stretcherbearer, you've seen and helped the poor bastards who didn't have masks or whatever--so , so scared you'd be sweating like a pig, and the gas falling down onto your wet shirt would react with the sweat and burn your back...

just part of the fun and games at 17 years old in the trenches of WW 1, along with going out and collecting the dead, filling up burlap bags with body parts , and of course, carrying stretchers of horribly wounded guys that you probably knew.....
Old 03-13-22, 10:19 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
I,m with the Duzer,electric all the way. I think i can go a month without charging it. No need to find/use water. No mess ,no fuss.
Old 04-10-22, 02:29 PM
Jim246

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As I learned in the marines, you need to shave every morning so that your gas mask seals. Who amongst us hasn't needed it while touring?

Other tips, use a brush and a stick because it is the only solution which will not freeze in the arctic, nor go off in the desert. Use the hot water in which you heated your breakfast ration pack.

Finally, if you have a field inspection, clean the razor with your toothbrush after you use it [Edit: yes that is disgusting!]. Otherwise you might find yourself crawling for it. Been there done that...
Old 04-10-22, 03:54 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I generally shave 5-7 times a week, and that includes my entire bald zzz head, I’ve just never had a desire to leave the multi blade cartridges. There are so many angles to get a clean shave on my round head, I would think a single blade could cause more irritation or blood loss.

There has to be a reason why my fathers generation quit using them, yes?
Old 04-10-22, 10:23 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Women's fashion pre-WWI...
the way i learned it was........way back around the great war, when the doughboys started returning from europe with thoughts of parisian ladies of ill repute in their heads --- clean-shaven working ladies, cause it cut down on the infestations and objectionable aromas......

.....and poor mary jane with her gorilla legs just couldn't compete.
Old 04-16-22, 02:38 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
There are countless combinations when it comes to safety razors and blades. When you find the right combination you get a shave in which is effortless, smooth as butter, and no razor burn. Travel razors suck, I have never found one which I like. I settled on a NOS Gillette Aristocrat, and either Gillette Bleue Extra blades (common in Europe), or Nacets. You need to practice to find the right technique, it took me about a year to get it just right. Prepping your face properly makes a huge difference in comfort and closeness, I make sure to warm up my face with hot water in the shower or tub, and use a good soap, I like the Kent SB soaps with lanolin. Don’t use the toxic soaps common in Eastern Europe. Once you get it together, nothing shaves more comfortably, closely, and cheaply as a safety razor.

Last edited by 50PlusCycling; 04-16-22 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 07:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
You need to practice to find the right technique, it took me about a year to get it just right. Prepping your face properly makes a huge difference in comfort and closeness, I make sure to warm up my face with hot water in the shower or tub, and use a good soap, I like the Kent SB soaps with lanolin.

Hey, everybody makes their own decision - it's their bike tour, after all.

SAG-supported bike tour, staying in motels/B&Bs? Why not?

Self-contained, credit card bike touring? Hmm. Perhaps you'd need to be a shave hobbyist (NTTAWWT) to tote the gear & associated consumables on your bike.

Self-contained, camping bike tour? Suggest that Panasonic ES3831 up thread.
Old 04-16-22, 06:18 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

Self-contained, credit card bike touring? Hmm. Perhaps you'd need to be a shave hobbyist (NTTAWWT) to tote the gear & associated consumables on your bike.

I shaved in the field in the Army. Our sergeant was a hard-ass, “You will shave 365 days per year, and if I ever catch you unshaved…” Deserts, swamps, woods, wherever, I found a way to shave every morning.
Old 04-20-22, 07:04 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

Yes, because when everyone goes on a tour they bring their full-sized toiletries with them.

There's this thing called travel size. You can get travel sized "wet shave" stuff, just like you can get travel size shampoo. Below is a kit that my girlfriend bought me.
Old 04-20-22, 07:22 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
I generally shave 5-7 times a week, and that includes my entire bald zzz head, I’ve just never had a desire to leave the multi blade cartridges. There are so many angles to get a clean shave on my round head, I would think a single blade could cause more irritation or blood loss.
I can't speak for shaving heads, but I've gotten a smoother and less irritating shave since switching to a "single blade" almost ten years ago.
Here is more on that:
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/why-de-is-better/

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
There has to be a reason why my fathers generation quit using them, yes?
It was more due to the desire of Gillette and company to sell more (and more expensive) razor blades than anything. Much easier to make money when you can sell a four or five pack of "Mach 6" blades or whatever for $20 (and have to buy another pack in a month) then a five pack of double-sided blades (that may last longer than a month) for $3. So it was in Gillette's best interest to make a single-blade razor sound inferior, especially since it's easy to believe more blades equals better shave.
Old 04-20-22, 07:42 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
I can't speak for shaving heads, but I've gotten a smoother and less irritating shave since switching to a "single blade" almost ten years ago.
Here is more on that:

It was more due to the desire of Gillette and company to sell more (and more expensive) razor blades than anything. Much easier to make money when you can sell a four or five pack of "Mach 6" blades or whatever for $20 (and have to buy another pack in a month) then a five pack of double-sided blades (that may last longer than a month) for $3. So it was in Gillette's best interest to make a single-blade razor sound inferior, especially since it's easy to believe more blades equals better shave.
good points….but I’m still a little hesitant to pull a single blade across my bald head, much less contact on axis y At least I feel better with more contact on axis x with multiple blades. Plus the plane thing is a hindrance. But it definitely opens my mind I may have to try one.
Old 04-21-22, 08:01 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I've been using a DE razor for about 20 years now. My current one is a very basic Merkur. I love it! The razors made now are far better than what was made 20 years ago. Gone are the days that nicks were the norm. They are as easy to use as a disposable Bic, shave closer than a multi-blade razor and don't give razor burn. I use Feather brand blades from Japan. Super high quality, scary sharp (no, really, scary sharp) and last for many shaves.
Old 04-21-22, 08:11 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Certainly in Africa, safety blades are easy to find. Cartridge types would be more problematic upcountry.
Old 04-21-22, 08:31 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
Certainly in Africa, safety blades are easy to find. Cartridge types would be more problematic upcountry.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-22, 08:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Here is more on that:
Someone could read that and conclude they need a LOT of stuff to use a razor with replaceable blades (non-cartridge). From that article you need:
1 - A razor handle that comes with a head
2 - The right blades
3 - A high-fat shaving cream
4 - An aftershave or an aftershave balm, because they help to soothe your skin
5 - A styptic pencil, in case you cut yourself because it stops the bleeding

I posted this photo above in a previous post, repeating it here:

1 - One of those blade holders is the one I use at home, one is from my gym bag (35mm plastic film cartridge case as my protective case for it), the other is just another one I have. They are all vintage Gillette 1-9 adjustable razor blade holders. The ones with black handles appear to have a dissimilar metal corrosion issue inside the handle, if you are buying a used one and have a choice, I would lean away from the black ones. That said, the longer handle black one is the one I like to use, the longer handle feels better in my XL glove size hand. I have no idea what these sell for on the used market, I have had these since the 1980s. I did buy them used back then, before I bought these I used Schick brand injector razors.

2 - When I started to have trouble buying double edge blades in stores, I switched to buying Dorco blades in bulk on-line. They are cheap and just as good as the ones I used to buy before that. I have several more years worth in storage, do not remember what they cost.

3 - Shaving creams must have something I am allergic to, every one I have tried gives me a rash. I use soap. At home, use liquid hand soap, at the gym I use a bar of glycerin based soap, for travel I use whatever bar of soap I have for the shower, usually Ivory.

4 - I do not use.

5 - Have never owned one.

I think BobG said it best when he said how much you need to invest in this stuff, below.

Originally Posted by BobG
Well I'm the guy who admitted on another thread to have carried a floor pump on a BOB trailer across the USA, but I'm a weight weenie when it comes to razors! The cheapest single blade BIC disposable is my choice. Weighs next to nothing, including a re-useable blade guard, 12 for $3 at Walmart! One razor lasts for 2 weeks of daily use at home. Shaving cream? = soap. Brush? = fingers. Environmental impact? Much less discarded plastic than one soda bottle.

For travel, I also use a Bic razor like BobG does, TSA does not confiscate it.
Old 04-21-22, 09:37 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
...For travel, I also use a Bic razor like BobG does, TSA does not confiscate it.

i'm on vacation.
why shave?

well.....unless crossing land borders in certain circumstances.
depends on situation.
Old 04-21-22, 09:59 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim246
As I learned in the marines, you need to shave every morning so that your gas mask seals. Who amongst us hasn't needed it while touring?
Being able to get a face seal sufficient to get the benefit of a high quality mask when going into a store to buy things is pretty much why I bother to shave these days, and the only reason I'd do so on a bike trip.
Old 04-21-22, 10:43 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
why shave?
If I can't take a shower shaving is the next best thing. Shaving is refreshing and gives the illusion of having showered. An itchy two day stubble makes me feel grubby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.