Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

N+1 Weekend - A roadie that bought his first MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 07:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I will most likely be active on this section of the forum from now on. I am a long time roadie and been a bikeforums.net member since almost 3 years. I currently own a road and a gravel bike, and a full suspension bike since last Friday. I found a 2022 Trance X with the new 160/145mm travel at a nearby LBS and I simply couldn't resist.

I used to do mountain biking when I was a teenager, but this is actually my first full suspension bike. I am not sure if I will like the discipline so I didn't go with the top of the line one, but I am really looking forward to start exploring the nearby trails in a few weeks once the snow will have melted.

Of course, any advices from experienced MTBers would be appreciated! So far, I opted for platform pedals. A helmet, pair of shoes and a backpack is on my list of things to buy soon.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-14-22, 02:25 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Nice looking bike !
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-15-22, 12:34 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Right there with ya, long-time roadie. About a year ago a couple of friends kept after me to try MTBing, because they're afraid to ride on the streets of Southern California (understandably, but I'm used to it). So I bought an older Stumpjumper FSR and it was pretty nice, nice enough to get me hooked, but it wasn't long before I wanted something better. Recently I sold it and got a Trek Fuel 9.8, which is likely all the MTB I'll ever need, and it's a dream. Hills I used to have to walk the Stumpy up I can now pedal over. I went with pedals that are flat on one side and clip on the other (Shimano PD-M324s) and we're getting on quite well together.
Likes For giffenf:
Old 03-16-22, 08:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by giffenf
Right there with ya, long-time roadie. About a year ago a couple of friends kept after me to try MTBing, because they're afraid to ride on the streets of Southern California (understandably, but I'm used to it). So I bought an older Stumpjumper FSR and it was pretty nice, nice enough to get me hooked, but it wasn't long before I wanted something better. Recently I sold it and got a Trek Fuel 9.8, which is likely all the MTB I'll ever need, and it's a dream. Hills I used to have to walk the Stumpy up I can now pedal over. I went with pedals that are flat on one side and clip on the other (Shimano PD-M324s) and we're getting on quite well together.
Well that's a nice bike! I hope I won't get tired of mine too fast...
Old 03-17-22, 06:49 AM
whatshubdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of advice are you looking for?

I rode road bikes for 15 years, then discovered MTB 7 years ago, and the roadie got ridden about 1x every 3 months. I'm beginning to mix it up a little more to get some "Zone 2" base riding in, so the road bike usage has gone to about 2 x a week, and MTB another 2-3 x a week.

Hope you get hooked. MTB is SWEET.
Old 03-17-22, 12:37 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I've been on and off road cycling for along time. I fond I use a lot more muscle on the MTB and a lot more lungs on the roadie. That could just be me for sure. I have an old AF Giant Rainier right now but a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 XT on order. I can't wait to get it as I can see the limitations my old hardtail has compared to the modern rigs I see guys blasting around on.
Old 03-18-22, 07:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I rode mountain bikes through high school. By early college, I’d sold everything and had a tri bike and road bike. That was more than 20 years ago.

I occasionally failed to lose races. Rode fast enough to remember how fast I used to be. Got good enough to shave my legs without a nick. Serious stuff.

Stopped racing and paid my bills with a pedicab. Eventually, I landed on what looks a lot like a normal life.

I picked up a used Xcaliber in the early days of the pandemic. I really started enjoying MTB. Still rode a ton of road and gravel (n+!!!). Whether it’s skills learned from old school 90’s bikes, the roadie legs, or the rock climbing mindset, I don’t know but at 43 I’m a lot better on a mountain bike than I was at 16.

Like you, I recently went full on. Got a Canfield Yelli Screamy brand new, the last 100% new bike I had was a ProFlex 855. Maybe that scarred me, but I love hardtails now.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 03-19-22, 12:00 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

pair of shoes .
Nice fully. I know Giant went all in on 27.5 a few years back but had to bring back 29'rs 'cause aclimation and all that.
So they brought back 27.5 for '22 model year. Cool.
You buying shoes forget about 5/10's my soles peeled off after only a few months of moderate use.

Built up this Chromag with parts off my 2015 fully. Splurged on the wheels, WAO Converts on Ind. 9 hubs.
76deg s/t on a hardtail feels reeeeeeeeeal steep. Gonna' bump up the travel to 160 to slack it off a touch.
Old 03-20-22, 04:20 PM
Sheepdogreno

Bikes: Framed Marquette and Avasta SS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=eduskator;22438348]Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself as I will most likely be active on this section of the forum from now on. I am a long time roadie and been a bikeforums.net member since almost 3 years. I currently own a road and a gravel bike, and a full suspension bike since last Friday. I found a 2022 Trance X with the new 160/145mm travel at a nearby LBS and I

sexy rig!!! Congratulations!