Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Choices for a Runner Getting into Duathlons

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22, 12:20 PM
extecher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I'm a runner who is looking for something new in my training routines, and decided to start entering duathlons to give me something to do in the Subtropical Hell that is a south Louisiana summer. Most duathlons here are 20 miles or less, so I'm looking right now at riding not too much more at one time. I currently own a Swift Folder that I've been using to train (Doing 20-milers averaging 17 mph on that thing is almost memeworthy) but if I want to do this for real, I'll need to get a new bike.

I'm just about 5'7", which based on my reading means I should look for a 52-54 cm bike. In looking online for used bikes I've found a couple of offers I'm pondering to jump on:
1) An old (Unknown date) 54 cm Cannondale CAAD 8 in what looks to be decent shape for $350
2) A barely-ridden 2020 54 cm Schwinn Fastback carbon with aero bars and a computer for $465.
3) A possible lead on an old KHS Flite 500 that the owner is going to get the frame size to me later. It need new tires and a tune-up, but it's $200.

So for what my needs possibly are, what would be the best deal? I'll actually ride the Swift Folder most of the time I want to ride my bike, but take out this bike for long weekend training rides and races. Cheaper is better, but is the Schwinn actually worth it to purchase since it has a carbon frame and gives me room to grow as a possible racer, or would I be wasting money on carbon and a brand with currently not the best reputation (Not a lot of reviews on it but they seem to be positive however)? Or should I ignore all of them and be on the lookout locally for something different?

And above all, is a 54 cm bike too big for me? I'm going to test drive any of them before purchasing it, but one thing I'm not 100% positive on is if it's OK to go a little too big or a little too small on a bike frame and compensate with the seat post. Can I buy a larger frame but move the seat post down with no net impact on my ride?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-22, 06:02 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Well, if you can put your hand on a 2020 carbon fibre bike for 465$ with a computer, I think it's a no brainer! As long as everything is in good condition, of course.

For the sizing, it's not only about your height and the seat tube length; it's also (and more importantly) about how you feel on the bike. You can ''cheat'' a bike that's a little too big or small by changing the stem length or playing with your saddle, but it's up to a certain point. The stack and reach are two important things that you can't really modify - they depend on the frame's geometry. This said, depending on the overall geometry, you could need a 54cm frame from manufacturer A, but a 56cm one from manufacturer B.

I hope this helps! Take it out for a spin and see if you are comfortable.