Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Old 12-11-21, 10:12 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by SSRI
Hey Shoota, is that my bike?
Gotta check my garage.
Congrats on the new rig.
Whats the build plan?
Ha! It’s very close. You have chromed lugs, mine are painted. The build is basically done, mostly DA 7400. Hoping to go for the first ride this afternoon!
Old 12-14-21, 01:45 AM
RustySpokeTech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Any sign of a serial number, anywhere? It’s quite a nice looking frame set.

Bill
I haven't been able to spot one. And thanks, it is nice, though the paint has seen better days. But for a donation bike it's pretty cool.
Old 12-14-21, 01:59 AM
RustySpokeTech

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattdiano
It is tough to determine value...a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it! That being said, it has more value as a frame set and not built. Most people buying a Tommasini (not all, but most) will want to build it with Campagnolo. We see buying a built bike as a waste of money as those parts all have to come off, and we are paying for them, and for shipping. I cannot see the wheels and get a great idea of the condition, but somewhere around $400 for the frame and forks. I have a 1977 Tommasini racing and am selling the frame set for $400. I could possibly get more but could sit on it for quite some time. I don't see it getting over $600. It is a late 70's Columbus SL tubing frame. Great make, great frame, just not a really high ceiling on it. Built with Shimano 600...I would still try and get the buyer to strip the frame down. But if I was buying it built as shown...maybe 700-800? I am no expert, just telling you what I have seen. Built with Campagnolo....people like to get $1,200, but $1,000 is a little more realistic in my book. There are plenty with asking prices of $1,500 and the like...but they sit there and do not sell.
I wasn't thinking much more than $725, but then we generally don't try to get full market value. I'm just waiting on the shift levers and I'll be finished. As to the wheels, I think they might be Aria's, but I chose them more because the have some color shift, dark grey to dark green and thought they looked good on the frame.
Old 02-26-22, 02:43 PM
leon6782

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
1989 Diamante Rebuild

So, I started my first (pandemic inspired) attempt at a rebuild late last year. I tend to go full tilt on things like this so I stumbled upon a Diamante frame, probably paid too much for it, and am now building it up with a modern 100% pure blood italian theme:​​​​​​ Campy, Cinelli, Selle, etc.

Tommasini support email (Barbara is the best!) has been helpful in learning some of the history of the frame, but I still have a few unanswered questions. Hoping someone here can help, because info on the Diamante is especially hard to come by.

(Photos coming soon, she's half built, but a beauty. I'm a new member and can't post photos yet)...

Open Questions:
  1. The fork, seat stays, and chain stays are all fully painted, which is a little disappointing because I love that classic Tommasini polished chrome look. Curious if any of you know if this Columbus MS steel can be exposed/polished by hand, or if that's just a recipe for rust.
  2. I'm looking for downtube adjusters to secure the shifter cables. No idea where to find something made by Campy, Cinelli, or Tommasini. This frame just has the exposed threaded mounts for lever shifters. OR, even better, is there any way to get those shifter cables to run internally down the bottom tube, similar to how the brake cable is run in the top tube? I always thought it was a shame/distraction to have the cables run right over the beautiful Tommasini logo on the down tube. I'm tempted to just drill holes, but trying not to make an irreversible, bad decision.
  3. The frame is also missing a seat binder bolt. Any suggestions on a binder bolt that will fit the Campy/Cinelli theme here? I'm leaning towards the Seat Binder Bolt 'Campagnolo' on Steel Vintage Bikes (also can't post URLs, sorry), but I can't tell if it's actually made by Campy in the description, and it's €50+ shipped.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Depending on your location, when this beauty is all finished, I will ride/meet you at your cafe, and espresso is on me!
Old 03-03-22, 09:14 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
My new Tommasini X-Fire Gravel.

An absolutely stunning bike that rides like a dream.

Last edited by vespasianus; 12-16-22 at 11:56 AM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 03-08-22, 03:43 PM
ironmirage

Bikes: CERVELO S5 TEAM, PRO MIYATA, EDDY MERCKX SLX PRO, Gios Compact Pro

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Does anybody have experience with the Tommasini fire? It looks like a cool bike.
Old 04-11-22, 07:47 PM
Celloplus 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ironmirage
Does anybody have experience with the Tommasini fire? It looks like a cool bike.
I had Tommasini build a track bike for me and they suggested a fire frame. It’s posted in this thread somewhere. I have to say I really like the frame, it’s stiff and super lite.
Old 04-11-22, 07:58 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by ironmirage
I have an X-Fire gravel but the Fire is very similar. They use Columbus Spirit tubes and the frameset will be light for a steel bike.

If you are near a dealer - ERA pro bikes or Wheelfine, have them measure you a bike and talk to them about what you are looking for. You can get custom geometry and customs color for no extra cost, so I say do it and make your bike unique!
Old 04-16-22, 06:25 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
RustySpokeTech That's a nice bike but there's a classified section here that you need to be a contributing member in order to use. You cannot attempt to sell a bicycle in this thread.
Old 04-16-22, 06:39 PM
RustySpokeTech

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Apologies...

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
RustySpokeTech That's a nice bike but there's a classified section here that you need to be a contributing member in order to use. You cannot attempt to sell a bicycle in this thread.
It is on the classified section and I have edited the post here. Again, I apologize.
Old 05-10-22, 10:03 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2000's Lemond Tourmalet, Alpe d'Huez, Mailott Jaune, Wayzata, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Nevada City, Fillmore; 1997 Diamondback Expert, 2000's Bianchi Veloce, Eros, 2004 KHS Flite 800, 1984 Gitane

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The Tommasini lounge....what a place! It's been a cool spot and now I think I'm going to take the plunge. Against my better judgement,I found this rig on FB market place. Claims to be a 70's Tommasini Racing, but can't really tell from the pics. I don't see much in the way of Tommasini badging or indicators. A bit pricey for $200 from what I can see, but what the heck, doesn't hurt to look. More to come....
.....Update: That was fast. After looking at the pictures on my TV (55 inches) I could make out the 'T' on the fork crown and the 'Tommaso" on the seat stays. Waa Waa Waa....

Last edited by bikenraider; 05-10-22 at 11:03 PM. Reason: updating the post
Old 05-11-22, 06:50 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenraider
Waa Waa Waa....
Hang in there, one of my Tommasini's was sold to me as Tommaso at a very good price, when the decals are gone and the lug T remains it gets interesting.
Old 05-11-22, 07:28 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
The Tommasini lounge....what a place! It's been a cool spot and now I think I'm going to take the plunge. Against my better judgement,I found this rig on FB market place. Claims to be a 70's Tommasini Racing, but can't really tell from the pics. I don't see much in the way of Tommasini badging or indicators. A bit pricey for $200 from what I can see, but what the heck, doesn't hurt to look. More to come....
.....Update: That was fast. After looking at the pictures on my TV (55 inches) I could make out the 'T' on the fork crown and the 'Tommaso" on the seat stays. Waa Waa Waa....

Cleaned up, that Moots seatpost would go for $150 on it's own.....

If the Tommaso is your size, it could be a fun project until a true Tommaso I comes along.

You're in the right part of the country at least...there was a shop in one of the big Texas cities that sold a lot of Tommasinis back in the day, I just can't remember which city or which shop....
Old 05-11-22, 02:00 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz

If the Tommaso is your size, it could be a fun project until a true Tommaso I comes along.

You're in the right part of the country at least...there was a shop in one of the big Texas cities that sold a lot of Tommasinis back in the day, I just can't remember which city or which shop....
Yep, got my Tommi from a Texas (Dallas) seller.
Old 05-11-22, 02:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Hang in there, one of my Tommasini's was sold to me as Tommaso at a very good price, when the decals are gone and the lug T remains it gets interesting.
The style of the T's is completely different between the two brands. This one is definitely a Tommaso.
Old 05-11-22, 02:38 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Super Prestige see below.

Originally Posted by Gary12000

So to make room for the frames and bikes i want to re-commission and use i have looked at what i gots that might appeal and bring a decent $$
this is my only Italian bike as i like Trek and Raleigh, not saying i wont get another italian but anyway here's the story,

I got this locally its a 57-58 cm i believe, it did not have an Air fork.. but an Italian chrome fork, when researching on line i found an old advertisement someone had posted whereby the frame and fork were offered separately,
the ad showed the fork alone being $400. so it made sense to me when the previous owner said that's how it came, (he was not the original owner).

so i wonder to myself if i can find an Air Fork.. i searched ebay and wouldn't you know it there was one for sale 1 inch threadless, but it was very expensive as much as some frames, seller wouldn't take an offer, i waited till the auction expired then re-appeared so I went back and bought it for the buy it now, anyway so what i have is a Super Prestige in the red splatter paint with a one inch thread less Air Fork,, at some point in its life it received a fairly extensive Chorus campy set up except for the rear mech which is Campy mirage, so it has brifters great brakes, the hubs are what look like c-record or newer, well anyway it rides fantastic is what i consider fast light and nimble, i did not go with threadless campy headset due to budget but it all works very well.

i would welcome some idea of value as i will likely offer it on here, i would prefer not to do flea bay, but i would ship the bike ..
I have a few different seat and pedal options which can affect value, but these are also rider specific items so could add or subtract value so consider a mid grade saddle as part of the
package pedals are negotiable items ..
here are some pictures let me know your thoughts:-
Thanks Gary

this was as i got the bike, i have changed the pedals seat and front fork to threadless

top tube with the old stem

mirage works great

straight off the auction

the paint is what i consider very good a couple of chips that i have touched up

the Air fork went on no problem i elected not to cut the fork but add shims for adjust-ability of height.

drive side
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 05-12-22, 07:27 AM
shoota 

Super Prestige see below.
That threadless fork is awesome! I didn't even know that was an option.
Likes For shoota:
Old 05-13-22, 03:18 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2000's Lemond Tourmalet, Alpe d'Huez, Mailott Jaune, Wayzata, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Nevada City, Fillmore; 1997 Diamondback Expert, 2000's Bianchi Veloce, Eros, 2004 KHS Flite 800, 1984 Gitane

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Thanks. I reached out to the buyer to get a better look at it. Figured it still couldn't hurt and some of the Tommaso's I've seen are really nice. I did find a Tommasini for sale on ebay and at $800 I'm having to think long and hard on it. Not that if I'm going to buy it, but when I do buy; will I ride it or hang it on the wall! haha
Old 05-13-22, 03:22 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I figure at worse it becomes a project bike and after I've ridden it enough; flip it to a friend or another good home. I reached back out to the seller and haven't heard back yet. Waa Waa Waa.......
Old 05-13-22, 03:45 PM
Gary12000 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I figure at worse it becomes a project bike and after I've ridden it enough; flip it to a friend or another good home. I reached back out to the seller and haven't heard back yet. Waa Waa Waa.......
Are you actively looking mine wont be bargain basement but it is a functional bike with some really nice equipment... Chorus is good stuff...
Old 05-13-22, 07:59 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Are you actively looking mine wont be bargain basement but it is a functional bike with some really nice equipment... Chorus is good stuff...
I am. I was looking local to me (Houston, Austin, San Antonio) cause the shipping on Ebay and taxes can eat into a budget. I'll send you a DM.
Old 05-26-22, 02:53 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
I've already posted a pic of my Tommasini in this thread, here it is again....

....but this morning I've just had a lovely vintage wool Tommasini jersey that I spotted on eBay arrive from Italy

Likes For botty kayer:
Old 05-26-22, 08:26 AM
Gary12000 

Not only Tommasini, It matches your bike... nicely...
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 07-24-22, 02:22 AM
Clayton_notyalC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PRP2, quality of workmanship and service

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a custom geo frameset, and Tommasini and the PRP2 is looking like my number 1 choice.

I do some lower grade crits, group rides, hill climbs ... not a lightweight at 85kg.

I guess my questions are, has anyone here purchased a PRP2, and what are your impressions so far? More generally, for anyone who has purchased a Tommasini recently, how was the workmanship? If there were any issues, how was the quality of service from Tommasini?

The Tommasini website, the few reviews i found, email interactions with Tommasini ... all have been really good. Just looking to do some additional research/homework.

Thanks,

Clayton
Old 07-24-22, 05:34 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Clayton_notyalC
Hi folks,

I am looking at getting a custom geo frameset, and Tommasini and the PRP2 is looking like my number 1 choice.

I do some lower grade crits, group rides, hill climbs ... not a lightweight at 85kg.

I guess my questions are, has anyone here purchased a PRP2, and what are your impressions so far? More generally, for anyone who has purchased a Tommasini recently, how was the workmanship? If there were any issues, how was the quality of service from Tommasini?

The Tommasini website, the few reviews i found, email interactions with Tommasini ... all have been really good. Just looking to do some additional research/homework.

Thanks,

Clayton
Where are you located? If you can make it to ERA Pro-bike - which also doubles as Red Rose Imports - it will be very useful. They are the official importers for Tommasini and can do a solid bike fitting and make sure the bike has any custom modifications you want, including the paint. Remember, you get to choose your paint and can make your bike unique.

My X-Fire looks to be well made. The overall bike is light - in some ways lighter than I was expecting. I think the PPR2 as a frame is only ~1kg, so should be really easy to build up a 16lb bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.