Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Taking feel different after high Bicycle Mileage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Taking feel different after high Bicycle Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 05:08 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Taking long walks feel different after high Bicycle Mileage?

Went for a long 3 mile walk today with my wife after riding everyday this summer at a brisk pace.
About halfway , my legs felt so stiff and wooden, I was tempted to sit down. I started to wonder whether running or jogging home would be easier.
This was the first walk I've had since June. Anyone else experience this after prolonged periods of Bicycling? Got to start mixing walking with riding.

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 10-10-21 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-10-21, 05:12 PM
AJW2W11E

Taking long walks feel different after high Bicycle Mileage?

Dear Forum Moderator...can you please fix this? My browser won't accept my edit
Thanks sorry to bother you!
Old 10-10-21, 05:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
But you're a runner. Is it so much different from walking? https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ture.html:foo:
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-10-21, 05:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You need to cross train by doing different physical activities... Doing only cycling alone and nothing else will screw up your body...Humans have evolved to walk not cycle, if you have trouble walking for a few miles then you have a big problem.
Old 10-10-21, 05:44 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I used to be a runner, but I wanted to save my knees, so I started riding a bike.
Old 10-10-21, 07:00 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Were you wearing cycling shoes on your walk?
Old 10-10-21, 07:26 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Yep... What you don't do you may not be able to. It's always a surprise to me...
Old 10-10-21, 07:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I used to be a runner, but I wanted to save my knees, so I started riding a bike.
You starred riding over a year ago.
Old 10-10-21, 09:27 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I've had something like you describe happen to me. Weird things have been experienced over the decades of riding I've done and I don't think we are alone.

Once after a transcontinental flight I went for a hike and towards the end o wasn't getting cramps but I was feeling decidedly peg-legged. It was weird. We were doing a lot of Creek crossing and log walking. I survived, and I bet I was a bit dehydrated.

I've also had very sore quadriceps from hiking downhill when being in top shape for long road rides. This is not good for mountain climbing or back packing, which I did a lot. After day 2 I'd recover.

I've always had physical jobs that require a lot of walking and non cycling movement.

Because of my experience, I think cross training is very important and I strive to not just rely on cycling.

It also can sometimes be difficult to realize when one is dehydrated or undernourished which can create an assortment of physical symptoms.

Another important point is that cycling, even mountain biking, doesn't provide the right kind of stress on the skeleton to promote strong bones. The older we get, the more important this is!
Old 10-10-21, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds normal. I ride, run, jog and walk a lot, about an equal split between the four activities. They're all different. If I take a long break from one activity it'll usually feel pretty good at first when I resume, but I'll tire more quickly and my legs will feel dead or sore the next day.

Which will probably happen tomorrow if I join a group ride. I haven't ridden in two weeks, mostly long walks of 5-7 miles and a little jogging, while coping with a pesky minor illness. Sometimes taking a week off from running or cycling helps, but two weeks gets into de-conditioning so it takes a few sessions to regain our form. If Monday's 40-50 mile ride follows my usual pattern, it'll take me about 10 miles just to warm up while my legs feel dead. The actual group ride of 25-30 miles will feel great. The ride home will feel progressively worse until my butt is dragging with my legs aching the final 3-5 miles home because it's all uphill. But that's typical when I don't ride at least once a week.

Regarding cycling being easier on the knees, I hear that a lot but I'm not sure it's valid if our joints are in good condition. If we have arthritis or nagging injuries, sure. But after resuming long walks (3-5 miles) a few years ago while recovering from being hit by a car during a bike ride, I thought my hip joints were shot. Nope, just sore muscles from not walking much.

After resuming running around November 2020 I soon developed sore knees, shins, hips, etc. Again, I figured it was joint degradation. I'm 63 with osteopenia, etc. But a full body bone scan showed no problems below the hips. Above the hips, sure -- a car wreck 20 years ago cracked six vertebrae in my lumber, thoracic and cervical regions, with permanent C1-C2 damage. But the pain in my hips and legs were just soft tissue pain from poor running form.

I got some Under Armour shoes with built-in sensor to track my cadence, stride length, footstrike angle, etc., which confirmed that my running form sucked. I was overstriding and heel-striking heavily. Under Armour shoes with the built-in Bluetooth sensor sync with MapMyRun/Walk apps for real-time voice coaching. That nudged me toward better running form. My leg muscles strengthened, the pain in the hips, knees and shins stopped.

Pretty comparable to an inappropriate bike fit causing various pains. Fix the ergonomics, often the pain clears up.
Old 10-10-21, 10:18 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Sorcerer
I've had something like you describe happen to me. Weird things have been experienced over the decades of riding I've done and I don't think we are alone.

Once after a transcontinental flight I went for a hike and towards the end o wasn't getting cramps but I was feeling decidedly peg-legged. It was weird. We were doing a lot of Creek crossing and log walking. I survived, and I bet I was a bit dehydrated.

I've also had very sore quadriceps from hiking downhill when being in top shape for long road rides. This is not good for mountain climbing or back packing, which I did a lot. After day 2 I'd recover.

I've always had physical jobs that require a lot of walking and non cycling movement.

Because of my experience, I think cross training is very important and I strive to not just rely on cycling.

It also can sometimes be difficult to realize when one is dehydrated or undernourished which can create an assortment of physical symptoms.

Another important point is that cycling, even mountain biking, doesn't provide the right kind of stress on the skeleton to promote strong bones. The older we get, the more important this is!
Thanks Sorcerer. I was thinking this was a funny "me" thing. I guess it does show the importance of cross training. Maybe some stretching will help? I bought one of those inversion boards today. I'm going to use it after my bike rides next week.
Old 10-10-21, 10:21 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by canklecat
Sounds normal. I ride, run, jog and walk a lot, about an equal split between the four activities. They're all different. If I take a long break from one activity it'll usually feel pretty good at first when I resume, but I'll tire more quickly and my legs will feel dead or sore the next day.

Which will probably happen tomorrow if I join a group ride. I haven't ridden in two weeks, mostly long walks of 5-7 miles and a little jogging, while coping with a pesky minor illness. Sometimes taking a week off from running or cycling helps, but two weeks gets into de-conditioning so it takes a few sessions to regain our form. If Monday's 40-50 mile ride follows my usual pattern, it'll take me about 10 miles just to warm up while my legs feel dead. The actual group ride of 25-30 miles will feel great. The ride home will feel progressively worse until my butt is dragging with my legs aching the final 3-5 miles home because it's all uphill. But that's typical when I don't ride at least once a week.

Regarding cycling being easier on the knees, I hear that a lot but I'm not sure it's valid if our joints are in good condition. If we have arthritis or nagging injuries, sure. But after resuming long walks (3-5 miles) a few years ago while recovering from being hit by a car during a bike ride, I thought my hip joints were shot. Nope, just sore muscles from not walking much.

After resuming running around November 2020 I soon developed sore knees, shins, hips, etc. Again, I figured it was joint degradation. I'm 63 with osteopenia, etc. But a full body bone scan showed no problems below the hips. Above the hips, sure -- a car wreck 20 years ago cracked six vertebrae in my lumber, thoracic and cervical regions, with permanent C1-C2 damage. But the pain in my hips and legs were just soft tissue pain from poor running form.

I got some Under Armour shoes with built-in sensor to track my cadence, stride length, footstrike angle, etc., which confirmed that my running form sucked. I was overstriding and heel-striking heavily. Under Armour shoes with the built-in Bluetooth sensor sync with MapMyRun/Walk apps for real-time voice coaching. That nudged me toward better running form. My leg muscles strengthened, the pain in the hips, knees and shins stopped.

Pretty comparable to an inappropriate bike fit causing various pains. Fix the ergonomics, often the pain clears up.
Thanks. Good information.
Old 10-10-21, 10:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
I walk my dog 3 miles a day (which adds up to 1000+ miles/year) and after do my ride. Never experienced your issue. You may want to do more stretching or get a dog.

Old 10-10-21, 10:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
get a dog.

I approve of this suggestion.

Old 10-11-21, 11:43 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Thanks Sorcerer. I was thinking this was a funny "me" thing. I guess it does show the importance of cross training. Maybe some stretching will help? I bought one of those inversion boards today. I'm going to use it after my bike rides next week.
Before I forget to reply, there's an important thing I learned from another rider.

​​​​​​Cycling doesn't require the leg to move through it's entire range of motion, ROM.

Specifically, the knee joint doesn't fully extend.

It was explained to me that this is the last 5% of ROM.

Because of this, the muscle that is engaged in that 5% of ROM atrophies if cycling is the only exercise.

That is why a strong cyclist will suffer, unless something is done otherwise.

It is possible to wear light leg weights and do full extensions, but who does that?

Anyway, for your consideration.
Old 10-11-21, 11:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Stretching and inversion boards isn't cross training and it's not going to help....You said you had trouble walking for longer distances, which simply means lack of fitness in those areas.. So what you need to do is start doing is more walking and maybe some strength training such as lifting weights and bodyweight calisthenics...Lower body exercises such as squats, lunges, step ups and some upper body strength training would help you a lot more than an inversion board or stretching.