Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 10:12 PM
jimdodds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Peugeot

I recently bought a vintage Peugeot that I think is a 70's UO8. It's in fairly good shape, needs new tires for sure, and I wonder if anyone can suggest a price range for what it might be worth online? Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-21, 11:46 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Depends where you live. We need pics to see what shape it is in. Uo8s are nice rides but not high end bikes.
Old 11-25-21, 05:35 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by jimdodds
I recently bought a vintage Peugeot that I think is a 70's UO8.
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23235165

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-25-21, 07:41 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Selling low end bikes like this on line? Forget it. To sell on line, you have to pack (carefully) and ship at a low price. Low price shipping means cutting the box down in size, which takes more time. Now if on line means local C/L or FB marketplace, sure you can do that.

I do sell some frames, wheels and complete bikes on ebay. My basic rule is the wheels and frames need to have at least $150 value to make it worth packing. Complete bikes need to be worth at least $400. And if I can sell locally for 1/3 less money, I do it. Ebay is full of fees, you will pay taxes if you sell enough stuff, buyers win all disputes, on and on. eBay is not easy money!

Bike is in mediocre condition. In my market, fixing and repairing will cost me more than I can get for the finished product. Even if I got the bike for free, I would lose money. And that would be making $0 per hour for my time. Hopefully your market is better!! Sometimes I will buy bikes like this for parts. But most of the parts on a UO8 are worthless. The Mafac brakes can bring a little $$. If I am picking up a UO8 for parts, I look for a couple things. Three piece crankset: sometimes owners have upgraded the crankset, then the bike is a buy. Replaced derailleurs and shifters: if someone replaced the plastic Simplex stuff, that is a plus. Leather saddle: originally came with one. Simplex skewers: the UO8 originally had quick release front and rear wheels. Simplex skewers have some value.

In your case, the front skewer is not Simplex and the rear wheel has a nutted axle. So that is out.

Sometimes, assuming you bought it really cheap, you can sell as is. That will guarantee a profit. Cottered cranks are no joy to work on either, and you can bet bottom bracket has not been serviced in 40 years.

When I find bikes like this at a low price ($20 or less), I will buy and donate to the co-op. There they can use donated consumables and donated mechanics time to get them on the road.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-25-21 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-26-21, 07:30 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
The first thing I noticed was the after market front fork. Why was the fork replaced? Most likely because the original one was damaged (bent it a crash). With that in mind, I would turn my attention to the frame and look for frame damage which might be easy to see if you see paint cracking as illustrated in the picture below (hard to tell but I would question the area immediately behind the top tube head tube lug)...

If there is no apparent frame damage, clean the bike up and spend only enough to make is road worthy and safe to ride. Then ride is and see if is, indeed, to your liking.
Old 11-26-21, 07:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

appears to have commenced life as a model A08, one notch below of U08

fork, saddle and wheels look to be replacements

OEM fork would have been painted and would have exhibited double eyelets

-----
Likes For juvela: