Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 Marinoni Special

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1977 Marinoni Special

Old 05-11-22, 06:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
1977 Marinoni Special

Interesting Marinoni came up in London a couple hours away from the center of the universe in Toronto. My friend happened to be going by yesterday and picked it up for me and dropped it off. The paint seems newer than 1977 but I've seen others with similar finishes. All the clamp bits had a protective tape on them so it had been disassembled at least once in its life. The stem gave me a vigorous 20 minute workout but it eventually dislodged itself.

The measurements are very promising to my particular stature and I can't resist a bike with barcons.

24.25" ctt st
23" ctc tt

It has a campagnolo 27.0 seatpost that fits well with a very narrow gap so I will investigate the possibility of 27.2, Italian BB threads, campagnolo dropouts and Italian threaded headset that was so tight and dry the fork couldn't turn.

Patent 74 rear derailleur, sugino crank and pre cpsc front derailleur. Gran Compe brakes and a Sugino crank round it out. Serial appears to be 77059 and I've sent a note over to Marinoni requesting more information. I am deducing it is the 59th bike of 1977 to be built but I am open to clarifications.

Last edited by Narhay; 05-11-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-11-22, 11:11 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
looks like quite an early one with the long Campy DOs, early Columbus decal and no cable guides save the single stop on chainstay.
Understated elegance!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-11-22, 12:49 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
I wouldn't have been able to say no to that as well--beautiful! Looks like those are the original 27" wheels? A Special with room for biggish tires sounds like a real treat.
Old 05-11-22, 12:53 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I am going to look at this Marinoni tomorrow and, if the price becomes right, I will buy it. This one shows the M on the fork and the full Marinoni name on the seat stays...

That said, I am used to always seeing pantographs indicating that a Marinoni actually is a Marinoni. Also, lug cutouts are usually the fleur-de-lis design.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an expert, but I have owned several Marinoni bicycles in my time and all were clearly marked, except one - My Marinoni Piuma, a later model bike that offers me a great ride quality and incredibly user friendly component group...

Last edited by randyjawa; 05-11-22 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 02:25 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
Not an expert, but coming from Marinoni land and owning several
2 things stand out: no M or fleur de lys or maple leaf on the fork crown is very unusual
No M or Marinoni on the seat stays is also unusual
Old 05-11-22, 02:28 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
That said, I am used to always seeing pantographs indicating that a Marinoni actually is a Marinoni. Also, lug cutouts are usually the fleur-de-lis design.
I have a one-off, custom Columbus TSX Marinoni Special from 1991 without markings beyond a pantographed 'M' in the downtube lug; but, the OP's comments about the bike's location, SN code, italian threading, and the lugwork on the headtube all look very promising for this being a Marinoni. Though perhaps the front fork was replaced at some point?

Julie's response to the SN will really be the deciding factor here, assuming they have the frame on file.
Old 05-11-22, 02:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
It's possible it was made as a rebrand...there's some similarities with this bikes and my '84 Gianella. Then perhaps a repaint and decals?
The fork crown corresponds with the orange Special posted by Randy. I'm sure Marinoni will settle things, they're so helpful to everyone.
It will be a sorry day when Giuseppe steps down.
Old 05-11-22, 04:12 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Thank you for your email. As per how we do/did our serial numbers you have a 1977 Marinoni frame on your hands. Back then the first two digits were the year, think they only did it that way in the '70's - since the 80's and 90's the first digit is the year and the rest of the numbers are the number made in that fiscal year. Since the year 2000's we put a letter first then digits. only in the 70's (started making in '75 or '76 but only a few the first years) did they do the year as the first two digits, then the remaining numbers are the sequence made in that year.0123 (as an example) is the 123rd frame built for the 1980 fiscal year, 1123 same thing for 1981 etc.00123 would be the 123rd frame built for 1990 (5 digit's for the '90's normally - as we built over 1000 bikes some years in the 80's it could be 5 digits but great detective works shows me if an 80's or 90's bike. A for 2000, B for 2001 etc, we're at Z for 2022 (we skip letter that look like digits) An overload of info probably, but was to explain how we did them, sorry to say I have very little order forms back to scan for our files, so can't offer any further information beyond that and your bike itself, thanks! Kind regards, Julie ;o)
Likes For Narhay: