Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 06-08-10, 08:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
This just gets better and better. Keep it coming, eh.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-08-10, 09:14 PM
STRAIGHT UP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my phillips 3 SPEED

Here's my Phillips, I think it's a 70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 221..jpg (98.8 KB, 324 views)
Picture 232..jpg (100.0 KB, 306 views)
Picture 227..jpg (102.7 KB, 281 views)
Picture 229..jpg (96.5 KB, 277 views)
Picture 224..jpg (99.8 KB, 270 views)
Likes For STRAIGHT UP:
Old 06-08-10, 09:37 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Is that Phillips a rebranded Raleigh? Looks a whole lot like the Raleigh Sports that I posted pictures of a couple days ago. Particularly the chrome accent on the front fender -- Made in England has the same script, too.

There was a Huffy Sportsman for sale in Hempstead, Texas (about 50 miles up the rode from Houston) about 2 weeks ago and I was tempted to go look at it but conquered the temptation. The Huffy Sportsman was a re-branded Raleigh Sports that Huffy sold in the U.S. back in the 60s or early 70s. Actually a decent bike. Pictures showed it to be pretty rough, though.
Old 06-08-10, 09:46 PM
STRAIGHT UP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Phillips started as a bicycle parts manufacturer--not till after WW2 were bikes build under the phillips name.They were owned by the BBC which bought Raleigh about 1960 and placed all their bicycle brands(10 or so)
under the Raleigh management.My bike is a Raleigh "B" grade bike---not to mean cheep only that it was a secondary to the 3 main brands built by raleigh.But They are going up in value.
Old 06-08-10, 10:41 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Somebody in Fond du Lac Wisconsin has a lady's model Phillips on Ebay. Nice looking bike.

I've been to Fond du Lac. The name means bottom of the lake, the lake in question being Winnebago. Supposedly, the name Winnebago means stinking waters in one of the Indian languages of the area. So, we're talking about the bottom of the lake of stinking water -- that's where I go to find my bicycles.
Old 06-09-10, 09:15 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Tom, my Mum says i sound like Stephen Hawking, except with an annoying nasal twang, slurred sibbilants, dipthongs that endanger the crystalware, and an inexplicable glottal clunk on the voiceless fricatives. But then she's biased. The provincial school speech pathologist said nothing could be done. We think that's what he said, it was devilish hard to follow his PEI inflected North-end Winnipeg brogue. After it was too late for me they discovered his credentials were done by hand, remarkably close to his own style. Them was the days. We used to watch him rolling up to the school on his lovely sparkling English 3 Speed in his tweeds and pipe. He'd talk to it while rubbing his ashes into the saddle and endlessly twisting the indicator spindle. Pontificating the while to us about we know not what.

Question: if a fellow had clunky bearings underfoot, and pried the little chrome end-cap off his Nottingham pedals with a screwdriver, just a quick straight-up pry? and there would be a nut under there holding it all together?
Old 06-09-10, 09:42 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Fir - You were an English major weren't you ?

So the monster got up this morning and looked at the grey skies which were foretold to be bearing a little rain and said, "It looks like a lovely day for English three speeds".

We have a 4 1/2 mile commute to school and made excellent time with the girls both cranking it out in third gear (had a little tailwind) and just beat the rain and am hoping we get a little break this afternoon for our ride home but if not, a little rain won't hurt us or our lovely old bikes.

The girl said she liked her new leather saddle as although it was hard it was also sproingy and had no complaint about a sore behind and also liked her new pedals as I installed some old Lyotard rat traps... I know... French pedals on an English bike.... heresy.
Old 06-09-10, 10:59 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
UBC '91 :-) (but they want to revoke it for mangling that poor little defenseless language)

Mum said 'go into something that pays.' Why couldn't I listen?

We're having a break from the monsoons today. I expect tomorrow we'll get your today clouds. Better old French than new no-names. Do the girls bus in winter? Our little guy goes about 6km. Last winter was convenient as there was a contingent of bus riders coming and going to his campus. But now and then I'd fetch him in the waggon. He'd fall asleep in there wrapped in his blankets no matter the weather. Except big storms, they were fascinating and he'd be glued to the little portal. Perhaps next winter he'll be peddling enough to stay warm, don't know yet.

Last night I put a 22T cog on the Twenty... Q'el diffrance! you could pull stumps with it now. A little tooo much lowness indeed... Ok, I'll try 20T on the sports for hauling waggons - but the stock 18T seems good for unladen runningabout. Brooks saddle? They look smashing. On my list :-)
Old 06-09-10, 11:59 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Canadian Tire Co. Supercycle

I picked this bike up last night -
CL description:
Vintage Rare Mens Supercycle Road Bicycle Canadian Tire Co

Nice gold rare English made Canadian Tire Co Bike. It has front and rear chrome fenders, original white wall tires (hold air, but may have to be replaced in the next few seasos) rear rack, front horn, Sturmey Archer gear changer without derailer.Bicycle stand folds over both sides elevating the entire bike. This thing is a beauty! You will not find another one like this in Chicago! It is 21' with a 31.5 stand over height. Great condition. Bike was stored away for years.

I will include better shots later.

Supposedly it was purchased through the Canadian Tire Co. catalog around 1970. I would love to find this catalog, but have not been successful yet.
Attached Images
pic4..jpg (8.8 KB, 261 views)
pic2..jpg (11.4 KB, 253 views)
pic3..jpg (8.8 KB, 249 views)
Pic1..jpg (12.1 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by b dub; 06-09-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 01:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I'll count the teeth on my three speeds. The Hercules (relabeled Raleigh Sports) has ratios too high. The Twenty seems to have it just right. Nice and low, which is good for a heavy, slow bike.

Fir, you're still cracking me up. Keep it up.

And yes, that's how most pedals work. Crack it open, and you'll be looking at the locknut. Under that is the keyed lockwasher. Under that is the adjustable cone. The fixed cone is really the other end of the axle.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-09-10, 03:04 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My girls ride 20 inch wheels with SA AW hubs and I have installed 20 tooth cogs for them which gives them a useable gearing for commuting and short climbs, ran an 18 on my Twenty before it was a fixed gear as I never had to pull stumps but liked to be able to get up hills.

The stock gearing for a twenty uses a 15 tooth cog which makes the gearing as high as it is on a stock three speed.

My Sports has a 48 mated to a 20 tooth cog which gives me a really nice all around gearing with 700c wheels... the later Sports models have a 46 tooth ring and usually come with an 18.
Old 06-09-10, 04:30 PM
archaehologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently picked up a 1971 Triumph that's turning out to be a gem. Been cleaning her up the last couple of days and am finding that the surface rust on the chrome comes right off with some superfine wool. it also appears to have the original brake pads, Dunlap tires, and tubes...all in great shape. All but one decal look amazing as well.

I have some cool old canvas and leather saddle bags I picked up in Holland a while back and would love to put them on. Any suggestions for a rear rack that is decent quality and would look good?

Sorry about the crappy photos...I'll post some better ones once I'm done with the cleanup.

Old 06-09-10, 04:52 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by archaehologist
I recently picked up a 1971 Triumph that's turning out to be a gem. Been cleaning her up the last couple of days and am finding that the surface rust on the chrome comes right off with some superfine wool. it also appears to have the original brake pads, Dunlap tires, and tubes...all in great shape. All but one decal look amazing as well.

I have some cool old canvas and leather saddle bags I picked up in Holland a while back and would love to put them on. Any suggestions for a rear rack that is decent quality and would look good?
The bags I just fitted to my Raleigh are Dutch style sling bags and I used a Pletscher rack and it seems these stlye of bags were designed for just this.

My heel clearance is minimal on the Sports but on a roadster would guess there would be a few more inches to work with.

Sorry about the crappy photos...I'll post some better ones once I'm done with the cleanup.
Old 06-09-10, 05:47 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
archaehologist, I'm getting

"Bike Forums Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Looking for the u-lock videos? Visit https://www.bikeforums.net/video/."

with your photo links.

My Twenty and Sports both came with 18T on the back. One day it dawned on me [while riding beside Mrs. Fir and observing foot revolutions] that meant different gears due to the different wheel size... Better count the fronts now...
Old 06-09-10, 06:26 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by bwientjes
I picked this bike up last night: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/1781240424.html

Supposedly it was purchased through the Canadian Tire Co. catalog around 1970. I would love to find this catalog, but have not been successful yet.
Congrats, it's a Raleigh Sports rebranded as a Supercycle. You've got the racer style with drop bars...totally original. The threading is 26 tpi so keep it in mind if you need to swap a headset or bottom bracket. Which is unlikely of course. The catalogues must exist somewhere but they generally lacked a lot in detail.
Old 06-09-10, 08:01 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked this bike up last night: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/1781240424.html

-That's the same rack as on the Raleigh Grand Prix i found last week. I figured it was bastardded on there from some other application, but it looks like the little legs only reach part way down the seat stays on yours too. Was your frame made in England too? Nice find.

"front horn" [from the advert] - I understand the rear horns never got that much traction. I will keep an eye for those catalogues now! my neighbours had a ~1974 Eaton's catalogue in their yard sale and I didn't even think to flap around for the bike section...

What are your plans for it?
Old 06-09-10, 09:15 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Originally Posted by clubman
Congrats, it's a Raleigh Sports rebranded as a Supercycle. You've got the racer style with drop bars...totally original. The threading is 26 tpi so keep it in mind if you need to swap a headset or bottom bracket. Which is unlikely of course. The catalogues must exist somewhere but they generally lacked a lot in detail.
I am having a hard time finding any info on this bike and I was hoping that the catalog could shed some light. But it great to know that it actually is a Sports. And from your comment it sounds like the drop bars are original which I was not even certain about. Do you have anymore interesting details about this bike you could share?

Last edited by b dub; 06-10-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 02:40 AM
archaehologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, I'll try this again. It's odd because I can see them when logged in.

Attached Images
3nf3k93m75O25Z65P1&#.jpg (10.4 KB, 462 views)
3m83o93l65Y45S15R4 .jpg (14.3 KB, 467 views)
3k43m63oa5O65W15S2 .jpg (11.2 KB, 462 views)
3k13of3la5Y05R05S2&#.jpg (10.9 KB, 495 views)
Likes For archaehologist:
Old 06-10-10, 05:19 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fir
~snip~
My Twenty and Sports both came with 18T on the back. One day it dawned on me [while riding beside Mrs. Fir and observing foot revolutions] that meant different gears due to the different wheel size... Better count the fronts now...
Good Idea! I have the Heron cranks ranging from 42t? up to a 48t. Rear cogs vary accordingly. My Twenty is currently geared with a 44/15 which is adequate for all but the steepest hills. I really need to work on re-powering the motor though...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-10-10, 08:41 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 96 Posts
OK, I'll try this again. It's odd because I can see them when logged in.

That worked. Very nice! I have a matching Lady's model I'm fixing up for my sister-in-law (terrible garage pictures):

HPIM1040.jpgHPIM1041.jpg

I took the AW hub apart last night (it was sticky), and boy, was it full of varnish and crap. Also found a broken pawl spring. Cleaned up nicely, though.
Old 06-10-10, 09:12 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by Fir
-That's the same rack as on the Raleigh Grand Prix i found last week. I figured it was bastardded on there from some other application, but it looks like the little legs only reach part way down the seat stays on yours too. Was your frame made in England too? Nice find.
Yes, the frame includes 'Made in England' on the top tube. I know what you mean about the funny look of the rear rack. I'm also not exactly sure what you can use the clamp on top of the rack for. Perhaps a jacket or something small I guess.

Originally Posted by Fir
"front horn" [from the advert] - I understand the rear horns never got that much traction. I will keep an eye for those catalogues now! my neighbours had a ~1974 Eaton's catalogue in their yard sale and I didn't even think to flap around for the bike section...
Yeah, some of those old catalogs are the best. I love the drawings.

Originally Posted by Fir
What are your plans for it?
I bought this bike with the intention to use it for my short commute to the train, since my last commuter got stolen after only two days parked at this station. I was looking for something 'old' and less appealing to bike stealers. But of course now I am rethinking this strategy. I'm already becoming too attached to take the risk.

So I am seeing another worse looking bike in my near future.
Old 06-10-10, 10:11 AM
archaehologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gna
That worked. Very nice! I have a matching Lady's model I'm fixing up for my sister-in-law (terrible garage pictures):

Attachment 154711Attachment 154712

I took the AW hub apart last night (it was sticky), and boy, was it full of varnish and crap. Also found a broken pawl spring. Cleaned up nicely, though.

Very cool! I need to find something like that for my wife. Right now she has an old AMF Roadmaster but could use something a little lighter and geared. Speaking of gears, I think I need to do the same with my hub...it's making a grinding noise when I pedal backwards even slightly while coasting. Something seems out of whack. Any good online tutorials for taking the hub apart? I am wrenching all the time on my old BMW motorcycle but for some reason the Sturmey Archer hub intimidates me.
Old 06-10-10, 10:21 AM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the frame includes 'Made in England' on the top tube. I know what you mean about the funny look of the rear rack. I'm also not exactly sure what you can use the clamp on top of the rack for. Perhaps a jacket or something small I guess.
I expect the lugs are nice and curvy cut? I have an Eaton's Glider 3 spd with great lugs. (to think I used to look for great legs) - ...Just checked the stable, the head tube ones are very similar style to the Raleigh Grand Prix lugs. The others are plain.

Yeah, I pulled that rack off first, thinking it belonged on a kid's bike. I knew what you mean about the sprung clamp. But the Pletscher one on my Sports I have found quite useful - much quicker than playing cats cradle with straps and strings and ending up with myself tied worse than the luggage. It'll come right up to 90 degrees. I just snap a carabiner on to the saddle frame if its something pricey like a camera bag or such for security. I wish the racks were longer though, my heels bang into the saddlebags I have. I guess you need a bigger rack if you're well-heeled.
Old 06-10-10, 10:52 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 96 Posts
Very cool! I need to find something like that for my wife. Right now she has an old AMF Roadmaster but could use something a little lighter and geared. Speaking of gears, I think I need to do the same with my hub...it's making a grinding noise when I pedal backwards even slightly while coasting. Something seems out of whack. Any good online tutorials for taking the hub apart? I am wrenching all the time on my old BMW motorcycle but for some reason the Sturmey Archer hub intimidates me.
Where are you located? If your wife is petite, I just got an 18" Lady's Sports, thanks to Khatfull (see here) I offered it to lady who is looking for a smaller 3-speed, but haven't heard back yet.

For online tutorials, my favorite has disappeared, but GrahamNR17 has several excellent videos on YouTube. Go to his website and click on "Technical": https://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Also, an old copy of Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual has fairly good step-by-step instruction:

Last edited by gna; 06-10-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 11:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I like that blue color. I have the same saddle and find it uncomfortable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.