Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 06-30-10, 11:34 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Here are some pics of the 79 Sports with the "Eco Rack" attached:

This is the front bracket attachment:

Also had to fashion short offset brackets for the bottom:
[IMG]

A little bit of boosterism for the 4th:

Love the updated cork grips, desconhecido. They compliment the saddle brilliantly, and look sharp alongside the brown.
Old 06-30-10, 11:54 AM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gna
The seller still has a few left:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...817437255.html

I put one on the Triumph I gave to my sister-in-law.

Well poo! the seller is only doing local sales! Anyone in Minneapolis care to help out a gal in Canada?? I can do paypal

Fi
Old 06-30-10, 11:57 AM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greengage
I posted elsewhere--someone on eBay is selling some vintage Swiss ammunition bags for use as panniers that would look beautiful on a vintage 3-speed--a little rich for my blood at $112 but they are gorgeous.

The Sprite is adorable--love that red! And yes--I need some Wald baskets...

So--while I have you all here--what the heck is this bike? A '78 Sport--with a full chain case and a loop frame? Maybe this is a Canadian thing, but I've never seen this before. https://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bik/1813730214.html Fiona--maybe you need a trip to Montreal? :^)

oh dear!! she is beautiful!! too bad I am scared to death of driving in Montreal LOL ...wonder if they could box her up and ship here via Greyhound ::thinking cap on:::
Old 06-30-10, 12:19 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by terraskye
Well poo! the seller is only doing local sales! Anyone in Minneapolis care to help out a gal in Canada?? I can do paypal

Fi
Fi - I contacted the seller earlier...he's willing to ship...I'm placing my order with him later this afternoon...
Old 06-30-10, 12:24 PM
greengage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know--how cute is that bike? And dark green--I love it...

I will keep an eye out for saddlebags of that type--I have a couple but the straps are cracked, etc. I usually find them small for the stuff I want to carry.
Old 06-30-10, 12:37 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Fi - I contacted the seller earlier...he's willing to ship...I'm placing my order with him later this afternoon...

that is totally weird because he replied to me and said local sales only maybe he thought I was a scammer but i had added my website so he could see the bike I wanted the bag for....::even more sad::: maybe because I'm in canada?? ::sobs::
Old 06-30-10, 12:40 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know--how cute is that bike? And dark green--I love it...

I will keep an eye out for saddlebags of that type--I have a couple but the straps are cracked, etc. I usually find them small for the stuff I want to carry.
LOL I thought the bike was black but its still pretty in the dark green too.

Thanks for keeping a eye out too...I know Old Roads has the vinyl ones too at around 22$US but they only ship within the U.S. Grrrrr lol
Old 06-30-10, 01:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Found something that was made the same year and in the same country as me with a nice SA AWG hub... gonna have to wait for daylight to see the good pics but here is a teaser.

Nice...the Continentals were their premium roadster from the mid 60's...funky pedals, rear dyno...maybe an SA twist grip? I've seen a few but they were all 64 or 65.
Old 06-30-10, 01:18 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I posted elsewhere--someone on eBay is selling some vintage Swiss ammunition bags for use as panniers that would look beautiful on a vintage 3-speed--a little rich for my blood at $112 but they are gorgeous.
There are others on e-Bay selling the same bags, one seller asking for $20 each, Buy It Now: https://cgi.ebay.com/SWISS-AMMO-BAG-C...item255b9a16d8

I bought a pair of Swiss Army bread bags, less than $10 for the pair, for use as small panniers:

https://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pr...asp?SKU=FX9255

Last edited by gbalke; 06-30-10 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 01:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Nice...the Continentals were their premium roadster from the mid 60's...funky pedals, rear dyno...maybe an SA twist grip? I've seen a few but they were all 64 or 65.
It has a clone trigger shifter (will need to replace that) and a non original front wheel which is smooth as butter on glass, and would say this bike has a ride that equals a full sized Raleigh Roadster which is probably due to it's immense wheel base.

All I had to do was put a bunch of parts together and find a matching rear fender (pulled off a Galaxy) and give it a light polish.

The rear fender stays need some cleaning up too.

Old 06-30-10, 01:46 PM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like your bags! Yeah--now I look there are a lot of the Swiss "bread bags" which I can see might make terrific saddle bags. But the guy with the big ammo bags has rigged them up with straps and fittings for a rack, plus you get two of them, so it still doesn't seem like a crazy rip-off. But one I get started accessorizing, I'll be in the poorhouse. For now I'm trying to make do with what I have lying around.
Originally Posted by gbalke
There are others on e-Bay selling the same bags, one seller asking for $20 each, Buy It Now: https://cgi.ebay.com/SWISS-AMMO-BAG-C...item255b9a16d8

I bought a pair of Swiss Army bread bags, less than $10 for the pair, for use as small panniers:

https://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pr...asp?SKU=FX9255

Old 06-30-10, 02:08 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Love the updated cork grips, desconhecido. They compliment the saddle brilliantly, and look sharp alongside the brown.
I'm happy with the cork grips -- thanks again for the suggestion. They were a little loose on the bars but a layer of tape fixed that.
Old 07-01-10, 11:33 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It has a clone trigger shifter (will need to replace that) and a non original front wheel which is smooth as butter on glass, and would say this bike has a ride that equals a full sized Raleigh Roadster which is probably due to it's immense wheel base.

All I had to do was put a bunch of parts together and find a matching rear fender (pulled off a Galaxy) and give it a light polish.

The rear fender stays need some cleaning up too.

WOW Sixty-fiver, that is a beaut :-) 28" meaning 700c tyres?
Old 07-01-10, 11:35 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy village day everyone :-)
Old 07-01-10, 12:01 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'd guess that 28" as in 635, not 622.
Old 07-01-10, 12:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Fir
Happy village day everyone :-)
Is that some sort of pun on Canada Day? Please explain.

And happy Canada Day!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-10, 12:59 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Tom! You know your stuff :-) When an early explorer (forget which one now, Champlaign or somesuch) asked the locals 'what do you call this place?' meaning this 9,984,670 square kilometres of pristine lands, lakes, beavers, timber and mineral resources stretching from sea to sea to sea, waiting to be turned into fantastic wealth for the aggrandizement of interlopers and monarchs back home in sunny europe who would respond by sending 3spd bikes to be sold in the Eaton's catalogue; the local fellow said "Kanata" meaning this here borderless village where my relatives and I practise our ancient and environmentally sustainable lifestyle surrounded by unending nature and a spirit world populated by creatures you just couldn't imagine. Today we celebrate our nation by exploding coloured bombs in the sky and eating backbacon, perogies and cake with maple syrup with some nice beers and we paint the kiddies faces red and white and then we ride vintage Raleighs, Gliders and CCMs to the village square to dance with mounties, loggers and voyageurs. You know, that kind of usual stuff :-)

I'll raise a beer for you :-)
Likes For Fir:
Old 07-01-10, 01:34 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
Yo, watch it with the politics, will ya, mac? Next thing you know, this thread will be moved to politics and religion!

(psst-- well said!)
Old 07-01-10, 02:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Sounds like the white guys bought Canada from the Kanata natives the same way they bought Manhattan from its Manhatte natives.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-01-10, 06:53 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by terraskye

Fi
My bro' in Manitoba has a shipping drop in Pembina ND. You could ship it there I and I could pick it up for you when I'm up there visiting in July/August, and forward it on; if that seems like a good option to you.

Last edited by old's'cool; 07-01-10 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-10, 02:42 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Fir
WOW Sixty-fiver, that is a beaut :-) 28" meaning 700c tyres?
The Continental has 26 by 1 3/8 wheels... Canadian roadsters had 622 wheels and British roadsters had 635 (oversized)... this bike would have competed with the Raleigh Superbe as CCM's top of the line 26 inch model.

It is a really stunning bike and when I get back from my little mini tour will wire up the lights... I also have the rear light and reflector to mount.
Old 07-02-10, 02:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Fir
Thanks Tom! You know your stuff :-) When an early explorer (forget which one now, Champlaign or somesuch) asked the locals 'what do you call this place?' meaning this 9,984,670 square kilometres of pristine lands, lakes, beavers, timber and mineral resources stretching from sea to sea to sea, waiting to be turned into fantastic wealth for the aggrandizement of interlopers and monarchs back home in sunny europe who would respond by sending 3spd bikes to be sold in the Eaton's catalogue; the local fellow said "Kanata" meaning this here borderless village where my relatives and I practise our ancient and environmentally sustainable lifestyle surrounded by unending nature and a spirit world populated by creatures you just couldn't imagine. Today we celebrate our nation by exploding coloured bombs in the sky and eating backbacon, perogies and cake with maple syrup with some nice beers and we paint the kiddies faces red and white and then we ride vintage Raleighs, Gliders and CCMs to the village square to dance with mounties, loggers and voyageurs. You know, that kind of usual stuff :-)

I'll raise a beer for you :-)
I rode my vintage Phillip's Twenty 100 km to come and see my family... enjoyed the wide open spaces, farmers fields, met the biggest friendliest three legged dog, sat and rested by a beaver dam, watched the deer and Herons, listened to the chirp of amorous frogs, and did not even mind the smell of manure... and really appreciated my fenderss.
Old 07-02-10, 03:30 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
The Continental has 26 by 1 3/8 wheels... Canadian roadsters had 622 wheels and British roadsters had 635 (oversized)... this bike would have competed with the Raleigh Superbe as CCM's top of the line 26 inch model.

It is a really stunning bike and when I get back from my little mini tour will wire up the lights... I also have the rear light and reflector to mount.
Yes, it's a nice looking bike. Very nice, and in wonderful shape. I think the Superbe would have had a better saddle, though.

Don't think I've ever seen that fancy of a chain wheel with an Ashtabula crank. Ashtabula cranks, now, there's a mixed blessing. If you have to upgrade the bottom bracket for some reason, it's probably easier to deal with the BB for the Ashtabula than it is with a Nottingham BB shell.
Old 07-02-10, 03:41 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Yes, it's a nice looking bike. Very nice, and in wonderful shape. I think the Superbe would have had a better saddle, though.

Don't think I've ever seen that fancy of a chain wheel with an Ashtabula crank. Ashtabula cranks, now, there's a mixed blessing. If you have to upgrade the bottom bracket for some reason, it's probably easier to deal with the BB for the Ashtabula than it is with a Nottingham BB shell.
I added the sprung Brooks mattress saddle... the stock saddle on many 60's CCM's was a double sprung Flyte which is a torture device. I still have the Flyte saddle the bike came with and will keep it for authenticity but have no urge to ride it.

That is your quintissential CCM chain wheel with the C C and M... earler models had a cotter crank with the same chainwheel and 50's models had an Astabula crank... these forged models were also made by CCM and are very good quality Astabula cranks.

Would never change them on this bike as it will stay the way it was made.
Old 07-02-10, 04:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

They're heavy as boulders, but Ashtabula cranks are easy to work on!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.