Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

85 Schwinn Voyageur Fork question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-31-10, 10:01 PM
jjmadaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not really specific to the bike, more of a fork question. Im about to buy an 85 voyageur frame in the morning with a non-stock fork, it doesnt have canti bosses and only one set of braze-ons. Im concerned about two things: if it was crashed and has head tube issues will i be able to tell other than checking under the bottom head tube lug? Second concern is: I'm having trouble locating a 1" fork with canti's, low riders, etc. to replace the fork its got, theres a new tange fork out there on the web thats out of stock everywhere.. any other suggestions.

Im going to check the frame out, its an awfully good deal I dont want to pass on

Do you folks have any suggestions or words of wisdoms

Thanks, Justin
happy new year
Old 01-01-11, 01:18 AM
jjmadaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pics

i know it aint much but im excited, ive been patiently waiting for this to come along
Old 01-01-11, 07:38 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Don't know what you are paying for it, or it's intended use, but an alternative might be the $150 touring frame and forks from Nashbar. The frame is aluminum, but the forks are chro moly. The $50 forks are meant for 700C wheels, however, and your Voyageur is probably set up for 27" wheels. Otherwise, buy & hold until the right fork shows up? E-bay? Write a"wanted" posting in the right section on B.F.?
Old 01-01-11, 08:32 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
from what I've been told that frame will take a 700c rear wheel no problem if you use the orig canti brakes, although the orig cantis were used with 27s they will adust to 700c wheels with no problem. So the aftermarket fork from Nashbar should be the answer you're looking for. ;0) Nice frame BTW! Make sure shes straight then give her a good cleaning, you'll never egret buying her. =0)
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-01-11 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 09:01 AM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To OP

The head tube angle looks pretty steep, maybe its just the way the frame is sitting. I would be wary of the frame.

Recommend taking Cycleheimer's advice and posting on the WANTED section. Yours looks like a 25" frame.
Old 01-01-11, 11:51 AM
jjmadaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.
So I just bought it for $40, which I thought was a great deal. Upon getting it home, I looks a little bit rougher than I thought, now Im not sure it was such a great deal. It may end up get stripped and painted, by summer I should have a nice starter tourer. The money pit has started..

the a from tenax is all thats left of the columbus sticker
Old 01-01-11, 12:04 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Dude, Clean the **** out of it, remove the rust with soap and water, then wax every inch of her up, she'll look super sick and save you tons of cash.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-01-11, 12:15 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It's a fine candidate for powder coating. Velocals has Tenax decals for about $8. OA will bring the headset, FD cage and various bolts back to life.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-01-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 02:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
looks like a good deal for $40. how does it look around the HT?

it isn't threaded and only one set of eyelets but here is a nice looking fork https://store.somafab.com/lucrcrfo.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-01-11, 02:37 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Can anyone tell me if the orig rear rack on a Voyageur was steel or aluminium?
Old 01-01-11, 02:39 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Has anybody noticed the headset situation? Some sort of makeshift spacer because the steerer on the replacement fork is a bit too long?

Does it make sense to buy a $120 fork for a $40 frame? You'll find something suitable at the right price if you're patient.
Old 01-01-11, 03:40 PM
jjmadaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a nice fork, I will wait something will come around, its gonna be a long duration build anyway. The headtube and lugs are all good, what isnt good though is the cussing frozen seatpost, which pisses me off bc the seller told me it comes out.
Old 01-01-11, 04:18 PM
Grand Bois

This fork looks ideal, but it's not cheap:

https://cgi.ebay.com/TOURING-ROAD-BIK...item43a3d9f950
Old 01-01-11, 07:01 PM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
This fork looks ideal, but it's not cheap:

https://cgi.ebay.com/TOURING-ROAD-BIK...item43a3d9f950
Fork looks identical to fork in my 88 Voyageur. Is the steerer tube the correct length for the head tube?
Old 01-01-11, 07:17 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Originally Posted by ilikebikes
As far as I know, they were lightweight Jim Blackburne aluminum racks.
Old 01-01-11, 07:21 PM
cycleheimer

BTW, here is a link to the catalog pages for the '85 Voyageur:
https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...985Ltwt14.html
https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...985Ltwt30.html
Old 01-01-11, 07:42 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
If its the same as the one that was on my Panasonic PT-3500 it does appear to be an Aluminum Blackburne. Nice rack. I kept it and it now lives on my Fuji.
Old 01-01-11, 08:07 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
https://sandro.knot.org/blog/bike-sta...touring-bikes/

I posted this link in another thread.
Old 01-01-11, 09:38 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Coolies, thanks. The one that came on the bike when I bought it is steel. I have a BlackBurne sitting around somewheres so I'm OK. Is there a differance between a "Jim Blackburne" and a "Blackburne?" I know its from the same guy, I'm talkin' about the way the name is stamped, is it stamped "Jim Blackburne" or just "Blackburne?" Sorry OP, not tryin' to highjack! ;0)
Old 01-01-11, 10:02 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Coolies, thanks. The one that came on the bike when I bought it is steel. I have a BlackBurne sitting around somewheres so I'm OK. Is there a differance between a "Jim Blackburne" and a "Blackburne?" I know its from the same guy, I'm talkin' about the way the name is stamped, is it stamped "Jim Blackburne" or just "Blackburne?" Sorry OP, not tryin' to highjack! ;0)
UPDATE: Found my aluminium Blackburne but it's the single mount type that attaches to the rear brake bridge.
Old 01-01-11, 10:25 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I believe the "Jim Blackburn" are earlier versions.
Old 01-01-11, 11:27 PM
Grand Bois

Yes, the Jim Blackburns are the older ones, before he made the big time. I have both versions, front and rear and they're identical.

Old 01-02-11, 12:11 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
On the original forks, the "low-rider" bosses placed at the middle of the fork blades were a nice idea. But, they were never really optimized by the Jim Blackburn aluminum front racks sold with some models of Voyageur bikes. Those racks just mounted to the fork tip eyelets.

When looking for a replacement fork, if you plan to mount fenders AND a front rack, a second set of eyelets can be useful. But, realistically, one set should do fine and you can just use longer bolts and spacers/washers and then mount both the fender and rack ends to the same pair of eyelets. Unless you plan to use full length front panniers, another simple alternative would be to add a front bag support rack for a rack-top or handlebar mounted bag.

The fork on eBay for $100 looks like a good choice. But... make sure the threading goes down low enough to catch headset threads on your bike. Measure your head tube and ask the Seller how long the steering tube is and how low the threads go down. You do have options: you can cut off any additional length from the top, or add a lot of spacers, or you could even clamp on a 1" threadless stem (if you have around 50mm of excess length at the top). It would be a pain to have to add more threads to the steering tube. Most better bike shops should have a thread cutter (Die) to do that... but, at what additional cost to you?

Although they are an attractive and very available option these days, beware of buying any 1-1/8" THREADLESS fork for that bike... Remember, that is basically the same as the OUTER diameter of your head tube, so it obviously will never fit. You'll need to look for a 1" threaded or threadless fork.

* TANGE currently makes very nice traditional 1" threaded headsets which range from around $20 in chromed steel to $40 for the lighter more fancy alloy models. Should be easy to find at any LBS.

* Make sure you purchase a headset AFTER buying a fork so you can be sure to match the fork crown race of the headset to the flange on your fork crown.

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-11, 09:47 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Yes, the Jim Blackburns are the older ones, before he made the big time. I have both versions, front and rear and they're identical.

Ahhhhh, thanks much guys. =0)
Old 01-02-11, 03:39 PM
jjmadaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=7000
I have not seen any surly forks in 1" until this. For $73 bucks it could work for me. However I havent thrown any lines out for a Want to Buy yet.

hmm, I've never built a bike up from a bare frame before, this is gonna take some time, soo many decisions!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.