Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

did Lemond ride a steel Bottecchia Carnielli in his winning TDF year?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 09:59 PM
joe englert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I always heard the Lemond rode a carbon Look badged Bottecchia in his ADR days. This i know is true, however, i believe he DID ride a steel Carnielli Bottecchia as well. What proof do i have? The best. Check out the cover of his book!! Shows him right on the cover the the "real deal steel". At least as far as my inspection of it goes. He is even wearing he yellow jersey.
Old 02-12-11, 10:02 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Many riders rode custom bikes, with decals from who-ever paid them to ride the thing.
Old 02-12-11, 11:59 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Many riders rode custom bikes, with decals from who-ever paid them to ride the thing.
Yeah ... I was shocked the other day when I read that Sean Kelly was known to have refused the sponsored rides his team was using and insisted on his service de cors Vitus 979 that he painted and badged to conform with the team's sponsorship.

Last edited by Lenton58; 02-13-11 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-13-11, 12:05 AM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I understood this was quite common even back in the day. For instance, Merckx rode Peugeot's for the first few years of his pro career, but only the first year was real PX-10. After that Masi's badged as PX-10, probably others as well. And I thought Lemond's steel bikes were done by Della Santa ?
Old 02-13-11, 03:54 AM
Lenton58 

I understood this was quite common even back in the day.
I wonder if someone has written a history of all this stuff. Even if one had a collection of the magazines and velo broadsheets of the time, these things might never be apparent. Fascinating, but definitely a niche interest. But one may wonder why. Why indeed ... when to consider that according to something I've heard and repeated ... Le Tour de France is one of the most followed sporting events on the planet. Was then ... is now.
Old 02-13-11, 06:18 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
LeMond rode frames made by Roland Della Santa during much of his career. The carbon frames he rode with La Vie Claire were made by TVT. I dn't know the specifics of his ADR bikes, but someone here probably does - one of the Bottecchia fans perhaps.
BTW, there are multiple claimants to ownership of the TT bike on which LeMond won the '89 Tour.

Last edited by Picchio Special; 02-13-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-13-11, 06:23 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Originally Posted by MetinUz
For instance, Merckx rode Peugeot's for the first few years of his pro career, but only the first year was real PX-10. After that Masi's badged as PX-10, probably others as well.
According to Eddy himself in a (now famous and oft quoted) communication with the collector Brett Horton, he rode Peugeots during at least parts of two seasons. And he was only with Peugeot for two years. In Eddy's first pro season, he rode for Superia (and apparently rode Superias).
Old 02-13-11, 02:33 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I believe Lemond also road Calfee carbon bikes part of his carrier. In the pre carbon monocoque frame days most of the star riders had all their bikes custom made by people they trusted. Not by the sponsoring bike brand. in 1989 Lemond's bike was clearly a step up from the teams standard steel frames.
Old 02-13-11, 03:26 PM
Picchio Special

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I believe Lemond also road Calfee carbon bikes part of his carrier. In the pre carbon monocoque frame days most of the star riders had all their bikes custom made by people they trusted. Not by the sponsoring bike brand. in 1989 Lemond's bike was clearly a step up from the teams standard steel frames.
I seem to recall that Craig Calfee made the LeMond carbon frames of the early 90's.
Old 02-13-11, 04:31 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
And of course the 7-11 team was not riding anything built by Huffy. Lance had a rebadged Litespeed. He had a lot of input on the Madones but didn't like the first "aero" one and kept riding his climbing Madone. Tom Boonen had carbon frames made using custom molds just for him; back when he was winning stuff.

Henri Desgranges didn't like the power of the bicycle makers and for a few years tried outfitting the racers with identical bikes like the Little 500.
Old 02-13-11, 05:00 PM
Picchio Special

Freddy Maertens very strongly disliked the bikes he got from Flandria, so he had his own De Rosa frames built and sneaked them into the factory at night to have them painted in the team livery. On one occasion, he was caught and the furious Flandria boss who found him out destroyed his De Rosas.
Old 02-13-11, 07:33 PM
Lenton58 

On one occasion, he was caught and the furious Flandria boss who found him out destroyed his De Rosas.
I love this! Now that is real velo-drama!
Old 02-13-11, 08:59 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
i wonder if anyone out there has that cover of "lemonds complete book of cycling" not the first edition!! that shows him riding a gitane. hopefully a person better at these things could put that picture up so we can see who made that. i do believe that is a bottecchia-not someone elses(but,,,what do i know)
Old 02-13-11, 09:33 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
i wonder if anyone out there has that cover of "lemonds complete book of cycling" not the first edition!! that shows him riding a gitane.
I have the second paperback edition - that the one you mean?
Old 02-13-11, 09:42 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 02-13-11, 11:14 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
thats the one. interesting though, my copy has the same pic except that the bottecchia on the down tube is covered up. copyright thing? wierd anyway that sure looks like a carnielli bottecchia to me. notice the seat stays and the lug work. not carbon fibre for sure. thanks for posting that very much
Old 02-14-11, 11:38 AM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your welcome. I bought my book in 1990.
Old 02-14-11, 02:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Yeah ... I was shocked the other day when I read that Sean Kelly was known to have refused the sponsored rides his team was using and insisted on his service de cors Vitus 979 that he painted and badged to conform with the team's sponsorship.
we had a Cat 2 rider try this when we were sponsored by Cdale. unfortunately his steel frame looked nothing like a 2.8 frame

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-14-11, 03:05 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
The practice of rebranding frames is ongoing - Cervelo's perceived superiority, particularly in the time trial, has seen them rebadged and repainted as Bianchi:

This 'Bianchi' started life as a Cervelo P2 Carbon.

Going back a few years to TdF 1999, this is Armstrong on a Litespeed Blade, rebadged as a Trek:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
033_Cervelo_P3C_2008.JPG (88.9 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Barchettaman; 02-14-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 05:59 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Check out the video of the 1989 world championships Lemond gets a carbon bike (calfee?) from his handlers that seemed to be new from the box. The stars had the power to choose any bike they wanted for any situation. The photo of Lemond on the Bottecchia is probably pre- tour de france 1989. A bike is a bike is a bike when it comes to training. For the tour Lemond would ride whatever he thought gave him an advantage.
Old 02-14-11, 07:00 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,049 Posts
Big-name pros using frames made by someone other than the name on the downtube is a long and proud tradition. Merckx was only one example, albeit a major one.

Yes, he rode actual PX-10s, at least for a bit when he rode for Peugoet after Superia and before Faema. When he attacked Roger Pingeon (a Peugoet team leader and winner of the 1967 TdF) on a descent, Eddy said the reason for doing so there was that he knew from experience what crappy descenders Pugs were. (Don't flame me, I'm only the messenger.)

His "Eddy Merckx" badged machines were from a number of sources, but especuilly from Colnago until the 1972 Hour Record bike imbroglio, and from De Rosa thereafter.

And yes, Lemond used Della Santas for much of his pro career - many, although not all, of his "Gitane" badged machines came from Roland.

On the other hand, it appears that Fausto Coppi really did ride Bianchis. Serious Reparto Corse Bianchis, naturally. Of course, if you think the average shmoe could go buy a Bianchi like one of Coppi's . . . .
Old 02-14-11, 07:35 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Check out the video of the 1989 world championships Lemond gets a carbon bike (calfee?) from his handlers that seemed to be new from the box. The stars had the power to choose any bike they wanted for any situation. The photo of Lemond on the Bottecchia is probably pre- tour de france 1989. A bike is a bike is a bike when it comes to training. For the tour Lemond would ride whatever he thought gave him an advantage.
I think that the Lemond book cover photo was later staged as a photo shoot (I doubt he would have done a yello jersey photo shoot prior to the race). The giveaway? Lemond hated racing with a helmet like on the book cover. Every other (non-TT) photo of him racing TDF and worlds in 1989 shows him wearing no helmet. I remember that Lemond was one of the aggitators that once staged a rider protest at the start of a UCI race when they started forcing pros to wear helmets during competition. For publication of the book, it was probably deemed more PC to encourage his followers to wear helmets. A much more convincing photo of Lemond riding a steel bike during '89 TDF is at;
https://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...on-greg-lemond

He probably rode the steel bike for reliability on the early flat stages and then switched to his carbon climbing bike (A rebadged TVT) for a slight mental boost once they hit the hills.

The '89 world championship ride was also on a TVT, his deal with calfee didnt start until 1991.
Old 02-14-11, 11:18 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
thats the one. interesting though, my copy has the same pic except that the bottecchia on the down tube is covered up. copyright thing? wierd anyway that sure looks like a carnielli bottecchia to me. notice the seat stays and the lug work. not carbon fibre for sure. thanks for posting that very much
There's also a picture out there on the web somewhere of Gianni Motta riding a blue Bottecchia badged bike for team Bottecchia-Molteni (probably built by the Colnago shop) but it's being used as an advertisement for the Gianni Motta Personal and "Bottecchia" is blacked out from his shorts so that all you can see is "Molteni". The head tube of the bike still clearly has the Bottecchia head badge on it though. I'm pretty sure they do it based on a variety of things including copyrights or just whatever business deal they worked out with the company. Could be that LeMond had a deal with Carnielli circa 1990 and did not have that same deal when the time came to print the next edition of the book. By then people were used to seeing that picture on the cover and they didn't want to change it and risk hurting sales. Just a guess.
Old 02-15-11, 05:28 AM
Picchio Special

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
His "Eddy Merckx" badged machines were from a number of sources, but especuilly from Colnago until the 1972 Hour Record bike imbroglio, and from De Rosa thereafter.
And Masi before Colnago. Still Colnago for at least some of '73 (even after the hour record "Windsor" issue). And Kessels from the Colnago period on - fairly frequently. Eddy used several dozen frames a year, swapped frames and forks, even between builders, and sometimes used bike during parts of different seasons.
Old 02-15-11, 05:42 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We should remember that it was typically only the very top level racers like Eddy Merckx who really had any input regarding what they would ride for any sponsored team. And, the domestiques or the less prominent riders were not nearly so well paid and could never afford to have someone like Ugo De Rosa build them a custom racing bike - which might easily be mangled during the racing season. Many racers seen in rare old filmed interviews were continually whining about what garbage factory bikes they were often forced to ride, just to get their all too modest paychecks.

Nevertheless, it was not unheard of during the vintage steel era for true professional quality bikes to also be made available to consumers - not just the look-alike team painted production model bikes. For example, during the late 1970s and early 1980s the Peugeot "Prestige" factory - from which the actual Team racing bikes were produced - would also provide the public with custom PY-10CP bikes (just like those built for Thevenet's 1977 TDF win). These could be ordered by consumers in the US only through local Peugeot authorized bike shops. They really were made-to-measure custom equipped racing bikes... and very expensive, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.