Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

just bought a Raleigh 20 folder - what are the good 37-451 tyres?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 02:22 AM
AL NZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I just bought a Raleigh 20 folder, maybe not such a smart move at 240lbs and 6'3", but there you have it

It is in good original condition, made here in NZ by Morrison Industries, in fact right here in Hawkes Bay where I live.

It is light blue with good chrome guards and a carrier (or rack), and still has it's original 'made in NZ' Reidrubber tyres.
the NZ Raleigh 20s are (I think) unique in that they lack the two little frame struts up from the bottom bracket to the single tube. (photos to follow when not dark)

the single speed Shimano 'Coaster Brake type B' hub locks up too well, and the old tyres skid easily.

I need to replace the tyres with something modern.

Who can recommend a decent 20 x 1 3/8 tyre? I will have to import from overseas as in NZ we can only get nasty Cheng Shins - I have a grey set of 26s on my 1955 Raleigh and they underwhelm.
Old 02-24-11, 05:59 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I run currently run Kendas which are inexpensive, similar to Cheng Shin. Probably the best tires would be the Primo Comets or Schwalbe (hard to get in the US)

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-24-11, 06:03 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sixty Fiver has a couple Raleigh folders, and the famous Sheldon Brown had a Moulton, Raleigh, and a Phillips folder. I think there's a Schwalbe Marathon in the small size, and seems to me that's what Sixty was using.

Marathons are hard wearing and very durable tires, so I'd look into those.
Old 02-24-11, 07:11 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I would recommend avoiding Primo Comets. Every time I've bought them (maybe five times?) I've regretted it. Yes, I'm a slow learner.
Old 02-24-11, 11:16 AM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've discovered some Maxxis racing BMX tyres in this size, and a BMX shop seems to have these in NZ, so I might try that

I'd prefer Schwalbes though, as I think the 28" delta cruisers on the BSA and loop frame are great

thanks, all

I will try to post a pic or two in the next few days
Old 02-24-11, 07:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
I've discovered some Maxxis racing BMX tyres in this size, and a BMX shop seems to have these in NZ, so I might try that

I'd prefer Schwalbes though, as I think the 28" delta cruisers on the BSA and loop frame are great

thanks, all

I will try to post a pic or two in the next few days
So far as I'm aware, the only 20"/451-diameter tire that Schwalbe makes is the 28-451 Durano. I have one on the front of my recumbent, but you probably want wider tire on your Twenty. Definitely look at the BMX offerings- they seem to have many more 451 tires available. I'd love to try this tire: https://www.intensetires.com/imk-20100.html but my bike doesn't have the clearance to use it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..