Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please help a BSA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Please help a BSA

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 05:30 PM
Nortstudio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help With a found BSA

I just found a BSA on the curb in front of work. It had been sitting there for 3 days,and is in bad shape. So I decided it was abandoned, and brought it home to fix up for the lady.

I would love to get some help identifying the bike, for potential parts if I restore it.

The only number I found on it after a quick look is on the bar that heads to the front sprocket from the seat. It has the numbers: 814075.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Nortstudio; 03-22-11 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Correct title
Old 03-15-11, 05:39 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
OMG. That's sweet. Need better pics, looks post Raleigh from the lugs. But I could be wrong.
Old 03-15-11, 05:53 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Great find. Looks like a single speed!
See if you can make out the date on the rear hub. Check Sheldon's notes on BSA, it could be "not a Raleigh clone".
Is it a dyno, or drum brake?
What ever its year, it IS rebuild-worthy.
Old 03-15-11, 06:54 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Definitely worth keeping and putting some work into.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-18-11 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fix the forum filter shenanigans
Old 03-15-11, 07:01 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks folks!

I will try to get a better look at it in the morning. I have been to the Sheldon site (I went there before I found this site). Not sure what I am looking for there. I may have been transfixed by the photo

It is a single speed, if that helps narrow it down. The hub is strange looking to me. Has a large cylinder looking thing on one side.

For these BSAs, should I be looking at sites/articles about Raleigh? I read how they Were sold to them after '57 or something - but did they continue using the BSA brand?

I'm very new to this, and appreciate the help. Please forgive the newbie questions.

Last edited by Nortstudio; 03-15-11 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Got confused
Old 03-15-11, 07:26 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize that I forgot to mention that it has the word "sport" in letters on the frame. I'm assuming that's the model??? I have yet to find a picture of anything called Sport with the exact looking chain guard. Also, it has a locking fork.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's a "dyno" or drum???
Old 03-16-11, 02:44 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So a couple more pics, and a little bit more info....

The rear hub (seen below) has the words "Sturmey Archer" as well as "England" and the number 16 (large gap) then 69.

Would this mean it's a 1969? Kinda neat if so, year of my birth.

Any help with identification is much appreciated.

Old 03-16-11, 02:59 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, Put my bike back where I left it! (Just kidding!)

That "bulge" in the rear hub is a Sturmey-Archer hub brake. Really nice looking bike, well worth putting some work into and with a detailed clean it should look pretty good.
Old 03-16-11, 03:12 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 389 Posts
As Oldpeddellar said, it is fitted with a drum brake on the rear. The 69 is indeed the year of the hub and most likely the bike is also that age. It would make that BSA a Raleigh made one.
Old 03-16-11, 10:02 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks. Any idea where I might look to get a clue as to how to put this back together. Photos would help me get started. I really need to see how this thing should be wired too. Not sure how a drum brake works on a bicycle . Does it need brake shoes? Are they even available anymore?

Appreciate you time.

Scott
Old 03-17-11, 12:46 AM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Definitely a Raleigh BSA, so parts easy! Look for Raleighs with full chain cases, and you can complete the 2 missing parts of the chaincase. Hard to find separately.

You need the right cable to get the rear brake going - this guy is helpful and will probably have the cables - https://www.oldbiketrader.co.uk/

Don't strip the hub, but oil it, connect brake cable, and it may all work fine.

please don't repaint the frame - it will look great cleaned up with its patina retained!

That front wheel looks like a 27" ten-speed wheel - You may need to hunt down another "Westrick"-rimmed wheel.

This link sells parts (new) that SHOULD fit the bike, but may be safer to go for original Raleigh bits - https://www.smitexports.com/bicycles.htm

good luck, and keep us posted with progress
Old 03-17-11, 04:29 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
This bike looked a lot like that one when it came to me. This one was a '49 but they didn't change them much.
Wipe the whole thing down with lemon oil furniture polish then rub really hard with Mccguire's Scratch X or Kitt Scratch Out.
Spray the seat post and the crank cotters and any other thing you might want to take off with WD-40 or PB Blaster tonight so they start soaking.
I've got an extra 36 hole rim you can have for the cost of postage. It's not perfect. I've got a set of spokes that come with it. Just no hub.
This guy had a good looking set of fenders cheap. He didn't label them right so no one bid. Maybe he's still got them;
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156
Old 03-17-11, 04:33 PM
sailorbenjamin

I just checked his other items. The correct black fenders aren't there at the moment but he's got several sets of chrome fenders that would look good for really cheap.
Old 03-17-11, 04:50 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'd buy an old junker Raleigh and steal the fenders off of that, as well as the bars and seat. Might be hard to find that chaincase in the USA cheap.
Old 03-17-11, 06:51 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
Might be hard to find that chaincase in the USA cheap.
I know Andy quit selling Eastman bikes but I think he still carries parts and he lists a full chaincase for 26" bikes. https://www.yellowjersey.org/GUARD8A.JPG

Worth shooting him an email. Just take some Tylenol before perusing his website.
Old 03-17-11, 08:21 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Can we drop the joke now? My eyes aren't what they used to be and all these asterisks are annoying.
Old 03-17-11, 08:58 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Site's gone wacky, all the A's are turning into asterisks.
Old 03-18-11, 06:52 AM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the "help" folks. I am having a hard time reading some of the post due to the asterisk situation. And none of the links work. Found my way to the Old Bike Trade site - will shoot an email and see if I can find the right cable.

Was someone here saying that I am missing some pieces to the chain guard? I know it looked like it - because there is a place in the lower rear that looked to be missing something. Not sure that bothers me just yet. So far to go to get her cleaned up...

Also, i think someone offered me a wheel (or it may have been a forklift - if I'm reading the asterisks wrong! Thanks, I will contact you and see if communication is more clear through PM.

Appreciate your time.

Last edited by Nortstudio; 03-18-11 at 06:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-18-11, 07:00 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

This site has a seriously over-active curse filter. Apparently the letter A is now a curse word!

Notice my signature. I can't even type the word Dut chess without the space in it because somehow the over-active curse filter thinks it's a bad word.

Post-literate society...
Old 03-18-11, 07:20 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think it may have been fixed.
Old 03-18-11, 07:37 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Originally Posted by Wogsterca
I think it may have been fixed.
While it has been fixed for new posts, the bowdlerized damage has been done and probably can't be undone. I guess I will have to go back and fix my own signature as the Orwellian anti-naughty-word newspeak paradigm has permanently changed it along with many other parts of the site.
Old 03-18-11, 07:49 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
While it has been fixed for new posts, the bowdlerized damage has been done and probably can't be undone. I guess I will have to go back and fix my own signature as the Orwellian anti-naughty-word newspeak paradigm has permanently changed it along with many other parts of the site.
This is true, personally, I don't know why the mods feel the profanity filter is needed, most people are smart enough to know that naughty words shouldn't be used on a family forum, and the few that don't simply need to be warned about it a couple of times, to smarten them up. The rest of us provide our own $#@! profanity filter.
Old 03-18-11, 09:54 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
I know Andy quit selling Eastman bikes but I think he still carries parts and he lists a full chaincase for 26" bikes. https://www.yellowjersey.org/GUARD8A.JPG

Worth shooting him an email. Just take some Tylenol before perusing his website.
If there is any way you can repost this without the asterisk problem, that would be great
Old 03-18-11, 09:56 PM
Nortstudio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
This bike looked a lot like that one when it came to me. This one was a '49 but they didn't change them much.
Wipe the whole thing down with lemon oil furniture polish then rub really hard with Mccguire's Scratch X or Kitt Scratch Out.
Spray the seat post and the crank cotters and any other thing you might want to take off with WD-40 or PB Blaster tonight so they start soaking.
I've got an extra 36 hole rim you can have for the cost of postage. It's not perfect. I've got a set of spokes that come with it. Just no hub.
This guy had a good looking set of fenders cheap. He didn't label them right so no one bid. Maybe he's still got them;
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156
Using this to get the links....forgive me. Are you saying that the eBay guy listed this as schwinn, but they are actually BSA?

Thanks

Last edited by Nortstudio; 03-18-11 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-18-11, 10:38 PM
sailorbenjamin

No, he listed them as generic but they're for most british 3 speeds built after 1959.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.