Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Creep on a fixie makes want to carry Mace.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 11:33 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So this evening on the way home from work some guy in army fatigues on a POS fixie comes up along my left side and says something. I ignore him cuz I'm wearing head phones. Then he cruises on my left and I pull the plugs out of my ears and he says something like his bike can beat my bike. And then somthing like his bikes a crappy bike but it can still beat mine blah blah blah...
Well he sees I'm not very interested and i just keep on riding and again he states, only louder louder, his crappy bike can beat mine and then makes a poor attempt to kick me from his bike. At this point I decided to just boogie and well I guess his bike isn't faster then mine or he just gave up on me. Whatever his motive was he disappeared.
Now this happened in a rough neighborhood shopping strip mall where homeless and druggies magically appear after the sun goes down and hang out. And its getting worse.
Well I been riding home this way for years and damn if I'm gonna let some low-life scare me from cruising my established route home. So i guess I better bring along a can of mace and keep it handy so next time when I get a threat remark like that I'll just zap him in the eyes and continue on my way.
Hummm.
On second thought I'll just take a different route home for awhile and just avoid trouble.
But I still think some "Bear Be Gone" spray is a good idea.
Old 03-24-15, 11:43 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like changing your route at that time of day. But if mace becomes an addition be VERY mindful of how you spray it. If you spray it at all towards your front, while you are riding, you will most likely incapacitate yourself as well, which can be dangerous on a moving bike.
Old 03-25-15, 06:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Wanting to carry Mace is one thing. Actually carrying it is another. If this happened to me, I would take some defensive measures. First thing I'd so is stow the head phones. Then start paying a little attention to the world around me. No cyclist sneaks up on me without my awareness.
Old 03-25-15, 07:50 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree to no headphones. if you have your senses on alert, both your eyes and ears, you can probably avoid that situation.

if you change your route, do so. or if you can outpace him, do so. i'd be concerned about being pulled off the bike and robbed or my bike stolen esp. if you're passing thru that kind of neighborhood. best of luck.
Old 03-25-15, 08:54 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
... then makes a poor attempt to kick me from his bike...
At this point I call 911 and let the police handle this nut job.
Old 03-25-15, 08:54 AM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel like this post and subsequent responses highlights a larger social issue. When faced with conflict the canned advice seems to be to just avoid confrontation. I agree that on a case by case basis that is probably the best option as to minimize personal injury. But in the bigger picture, if we all just run away everytime some ******* starts something, who is ever gonna teach that person a lesson and when will they ever be caused to think twice the next time? I admit I've been caught off guard on my bike a couple times like the op and similarly bolted. But I always wish afterward that I had done something more; dished out some punishment for foul actions... Not that I would win if I fought back, but just to show the ******* that he won't always get off so easy. I have also considered carrying spray while cycling but the legalities of being caught with something really effective are currently more discouraging. I just hate feeling like I've been chased off by some scumbag, letting them have their way instead of standing my ground so to speak. Unfortunately this sort of thing seems more and more common. Maybe next time I'll fight back...let you know how it goes, lol.
Old 03-25-15, 09:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It's unwise to "fight back" or engage people in public UNLESS you have no alternative to flee. Avoiding the conflict is always the right thing to do. The law will not support you if you attempt to "teach a lesson" or apply "justice" to someone who offends or startles you.

Fighting back may lead to escalation, and are you prepared to inflict harm on another (and to pay the penalty for having done so?). Are you prepared to be seriously injured or worse?

Now, the situation would be different within your own home. But we're talking about riding about in public. Leave law enforcement to the professionals.
Old 03-25-15, 09:38 AM
Coluber42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanescapee
But in the bigger picture, if we all just run away everytime some ******* starts something, who is ever gonna teach that person a lesson and when will they ever be caused to think twice the next time?
Rising to the bait won't "teach that person a lesson", it will give them exactly what they were looking for. If you challenge them and they win, they'll just want to challenge the next guy because they think they'll win. If you challenge them and they lose, they'll just want to challenge the next guy because they want to get their own back. And if you get into a situation that might possibly escalate, nothing good can possibly come of it even if you can beat the guy. The only way to win the game is not to play.

But yeah, lose the headphones. In general, I think it's a bad idea to use headphones in city traffic at all, but if you're the slightest bit concerned about the neighborhood, they should be the first thing to go. My experience is that neighborhoods with higher crime rates, more graffiti and broken glass, etc, also have more drunks, more drivers who aren't too worried about a few more dents in their hood, and more people doing stupid !@#$ like turning left from the right lane, passing into oncoming traffic, going the wrong way on one-way streets, etc, and that's just the ones in cars. You need your full attention.
Old 03-25-15, 09:38 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
an airhorn in his face could be pretty effective.
Old 03-25-15, 09:45 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel like this post and subsequent responses highlights a larger social issue. When faced with conflict the canned advice seems to be to just avoid confrontation. I agree that on a case by case basis that is probably the best option as to minimize personal injury. But in the bigger picture, if we all just run away everytime some ******* starts something, who is ever gonna teach that person a lesson and when will they ever be caused to think twice the next time? I admit I've been caught off guard on my bike a couple times like the op and similarly bolted. But I always wish afterward that I had done something more; dished out some punishment for foul actions... Not that I would win if I fought back, but just to show the ******* that he won't always get off so easy. I have also considered carrying spray while cycling but the legalities of being caught with something really effective are currently more discouraging. I just hate feeling like I've been chased off by some scumbag, letting them have their way instead of standing my ground so to speak. Unfortunately this sort of thing seems more and more common. Maybe next time I'll fight back...let you know how it goes, lol.

If you need to escalate the violence to "defend" yourself, then you can't.

Maybe I need to carry a g u n (censored forums suck btw) just in case that headphone guy whose never paying attention decides to mace me because he didn't understand what I was asking him.
Old 03-25-15, 09:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Situations like this often revolve around who has the most to lose. You're dealing with a down and out homeless, possibly mentally ill, person who has little or nothing to lose. Compare that to your own situation, and make your decisions accordingly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-25-15, 09:48 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If it is dark, a powerful helmet mounted light is an effective deterrent. If the person engages you, it won't take them long to realize you are not to be effed with. A helmet cam could also help as a deterrent. Don't end up on the wrong side of the law for assault with mace.
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
thrllskr

Bikes: Fuji, Ridley, Bianchi, Charge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It's unwise to "fight back" or engage people in public UNLESS you have no alternative to flee. Avoiding the conflict is always the right thing to do. The law will not support you if you attempt to "teach a lesson" or apply "justice" to someone who offends or startles you.

Fighting back may lead to escalation, and are you prepared to inflict harm on another (and to pay the penalty for having done so?). Are you prepared to be seriously injured or worse?

Now, the situation would be different within your own home. But we're talking about riding about in public. Leave law enforcement to the professionals.
This is the United States of America, a land born in blood with bravery, we must live by our national anthem..."O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
Don't let pacifists dictate your right as an American.
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
OP I think you did fine. There's nothing wrong with avoiding a fight, most of the time. If the same person shows up again with the same problem you will want to prevent this becoming a pattern.

Pepper spray is a possibility. So is a physical confrontation. Or a loud argument. After the first time I would try to be able to provide a good description and call the police. Whether or not things got physical.
Old 03-25-15, 10:04 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If you pepper spray the guy, he will probably scope you out and possibly do worse to you the next time you go that same route. Not a great idea. I say just change the route, if that's possible.

And lose the head phones.
Old 03-25-15, 10:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by thrllskr
This is the United States of America, a land born in blood with bravery, we must live by our national anthem..."O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
Don't let pacifists dictate your right as an American.
That's a foolish post. Francis Key's poem celebrated a nation's response to an external threat, the British bombardment of Baltimore. Key, a lawyer, could have explained the limits of your rights. When you physacally confront another person, when a public avenue of escape exists, your actions may in all likelihood be criminal. The law will be against you.

Grow up.
Old 03-25-15, 10:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
violence is just the intermission between people deescalating the situation. It doesn't actually solve anything, doesn't teach any lessons, and there is no guarantee you are going to win a violent encounter. And the notion that you would shoot (and thus be willing to kill) someone for challenging you to a race is the definition of insanity.
Old 03-25-15, 10:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
If I were in the exact situation, I would neither arm myself, not change my route. This was a non-issue with a street person, who though maybe intimidating, was not an actual threat. I'd continue riding my preferred route, being a bit more alert, and ready to pull away if he approached, as this experience proved possible. There's an excellent chance, that though crazy as he is, he'll recognize that you're not a good candidate for his antics and won't bother you again. If he does, you can simply ride away if/when necessary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-25-15, 11:38 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well today I drove to work in my Grand Cherokee because my wife needed me to stick around a little longer this morning before work. Not cuz I was scared or anything like that. Also I won't be able to ride to work untill next Tuesday because I'm doing swing shifts for the rest of the week.
So the next time...okay no ear buds. I'll hum.
And.... Leaving the flashy new road bike home and Im gonna use my old hybrid instead.
And I'm sure it will be warm enough for just a flannel shirt to wear home here in toasted calf, instead of my 'Lookie here! I'm a big shot cyclist!'
And I'll talk really loud to myself as ifi was talking to someone invisible. I don't know about you but I dread making eye contact with people like that.
I think I'll be okay if I do all this.
Oh hell! I just remembered I have bright red side wall tires on the hybrid now.
( now where did I see my old St. Christophers medal at again? )

Last edited by Corben; 03-25-15 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 03:02 AM
kenwer

Bikes: Surly LHT 2012, Jamis Citizen 1 2015

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's ok to ride with one ear phone in, but I had a similar incident on a commute and got a can of pepper spray from an official friend. First, I didn't feel one bit safer because I could not help but think I was potentially turning a random incident into a life long threat. Second, a policeman friend (different one) of mine told me that it's a weapon and that I had better practice live at least once with it, and many dry runs pulling it out otherwise it"ll be more of a weapon against me. I carried it for about a week and then forgot about it.
PS If you have kids please be very, very careful with it.
Old 03-26-15, 03:52 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
that was me
Old 03-26-15, 04:44 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Nothing like a little conflict and adrenaline to tee up the senses and polarize the "flight fight" response mechanism. I'm always happy when I have a little scrum on the commute and work out my aggressions before I land in the office. I'm also happy that I haven't followed my dark fantasies of inflicting pain and justice on every miscreant that I have encountered.

I agree with other posters that headphones are trouble-magnets; it's an animal fact that aggressors will prey on those in a weakened state.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 03-26-15 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 06:51 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As someone who has trained and taught martial arts for many years and who could most likely "teach a lesson" to most guys a third of my age I recommend avoidance. The best way to win a fight is to not be in one. Never underestimate anyone. Your crazy Fixty guy might carry a knife (knives scare me more than guns close up). Work on your sprint, stow the head phones and pay attention, and maybe take some classes at your local mma gym. Think cornered cat; run away fast until/unless you get cornered then rip 'em to shreds. If you want to carry mace/pepper spray (any self defense tool) you will still need training to be effective.

Last edited by Worknomore; 03-26-15 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 08:02 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I always avoid a fight but if I was worried I would use my recently acquired concealed carry permit. I don't carry regularly but if I feel the need I can carry lawfully. You just don't know how bat-poop crazy folks can be these days.
Old 03-26-15, 08:07 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, this is an interesting point.

On one hand, I am not a policeman. I believe the police have a job to do and I would rather let them do it than undertake to do it for them.

On the other hand, I realize they often do it badly; and even when they do it well, it adds to the load of an already overburdened justice system. In some cases, perhaps it would be better if things could be handled privately.

I was on the New York subway some years ago; I believe it was a No.6 train. Very crowded. Rush hour. When the train stopped at Grand Central Terminal, a guy in a business suit was trying to get off the train and said something to another rider that included the words "move your punk ass." Everyone got out of his way and he got off. One of the other passengers, perhaps the one to whom the comment had been addressed, was carrying a heavy tool box that he put down in the doorway so the door could not close; then he got off the train, punched the business suit guy in the nose one time, got back on the train, and moved his toolbox just as the door was closing. The train moved on. Business suit guy was lying on the platform bleeding from the nose. I'm pretty sure his nose was broken.

Frankly, I admired the guy with the toolbox. He saw that business suit guy needed to be taught a lesson, and he took it upon himself. But I will not be following his example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.