Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mangled metal through axle

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-08-22, 08:43 AM
FJ1001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! can anyone help on how I can get this through axle off? It’s should use a 6mm, but the 6mm won’t go in as it’s all a bit mangled in there. I’ve tried using a 5mm with a rubber glove but doesn’t work and just cuts the rubber. Don’t want to use absolute force to get the 6mm in case I damage further. Ribble has sent me a new one but they can’t help me get this botched on off Help! For some reason I can’t upload the photo
Old 01-08-22, 08:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Are you asking about a through axle or about a quick release?
Old 01-08-22, 09:06 AM
FJ1001

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi it’s a through axle that is meant to unscrew to remove the wheel. But omg I just solved it!! - there was this wierd rubber ring stuck in between the mangled metal (surely to help the grip) so i removed it using tweezers and then the Allen key + rubber just about fitted in and squished some of the mangled metal and was able to unscrew. Don’t know if that makes sense but it worked!
Thank you so much for your quick reply I was literally in tears just now “. Took it to the bike shop and they refused to touch it!
Old 01-08-22, 11:35 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23660551

Old 01-09-22, 03:41 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
You probably know this but when installing/removing the TA, use a hex key with minimal chamfer. Don't use a ball head - that's a good way to mangle things.

Good tool

Bad tool.

Actually the second tool is a good tool. But it's not the right tool for the job!
Likes For sincos: