Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Weinmann Brake Lever: drilled and QR

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 09:24 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 336 Posts

Hiya Folks,
I've only just discovered my Weinmann brake levers probably have a 'quick release' feature.
They're on a 1982 bike but I can't see any date code on the levers, and the hoods are original so I don't want to remove them.
So I'm wondering what model they are since they're also drilled:

According to Velobase that's "Weinmann AG (drilled levers)": https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=118&AbsPos=7
But that page doesn't show a quick release.

This catalogue page from 1981 shows 'part 4' (161-1) which looks like my levers.

Is it the case that Weinmann did many variations so I've got a "Weinmann AG (drilled levers) with QR"

And can anybody tell me what the quick release actually does ?
I'm probably being stupid but I can't see how it helps
Old 02-08-22, 09:30 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The release on the brake lever allows the brake calliper to open wider to make it easier to remove the wheel. Many brake callipers have a release lever on the calliper itself, but withe these brake levers you don't need one. Shimano also made levers with a similar feature and all current Campagnolo brake levers also use a release feature on the brake lever
Old 02-08-22, 10:12 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Weinmann also offered this lever with larger oval cutouts as on this Raleigh model RRA of 1973

​​​​​​

(yellow accent colour is an owner addition)

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-08-22, 10:44 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The release on the brake lever allows the brake calliper to open wider to make it easier to remove the wheel. Many brake callipers have a release lever on the calliper itself, but withe these brake levers you don't need one. Shimano also made levers with a similar feature and all current Campagnolo brake levers also use a release feature on the brake lever
Yep, I had read that, but I can't work out how to actually use it
I can't seem to move the quick release bit when the brake cable is installed (at both ends).
Old 02-08-22, 11:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Those lever quick-releases can be a real blessing in a race. I crashed in one that I wanted to do well in. Got back on and chased but the front rim was hitting the brake shoe. I was also feeling a little shaky. Reaching for the caliper release would have been scary (and left me with half my braking power). Flipping the release on the lever was easy, both hands stayed on the bars and braking wasn't affected at all other than needing to reach a little more. Diacomp levers so the release was a little different but the effect as the same other than the Diacomp stays off until you reset it and as I recall, those Weinmann ones snap back when you squeeze the lever.
Old 02-08-22, 11:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I can't seem to move the quick release bit when the brake cable is installed (at both ends).
Squeeze the lever. Then push down? Back? on that tab. Sorry, I haven't done it since 1978 but once you've squeezed it should be pretty obvious.
Old 02-08-22, 11:18 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Squeeze the lever, push the little tab upward while releasing the lever, allowing the little tab to travel up into the body. Squeeze lever to reset. They came stock on one of my bikes. Nice levers, but i switched to a different style with no built-in release, as my calipers have a release of their own.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-08-22, 11:20 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
When the cable has tension, the tab sits out and the top of A rests against B. When you press A, it snugs under B to give you more space at the caliper. I had these on my Motobecane a couple of years ago, and I thought it was an elegant solution. I was also a little confused about how they worked until I installed them.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-08-22, 11:58 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Yay, great explanation noobinsf.

I've now 'got them working', and as you say quite a simple solution.
Thanks everybody, there's always something new to learn
Likes For Aardwolf: