Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Regina SL Chain Users?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Regina SL Chain Users?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 02:12 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Regina SL Chain Users?

I have a Regina SL chain with hollow pins. I might need to lengthen it. There is a short section of conventional links to allow this. Has anyone had experience with doing this, and if so, what Regina chain would "mesh" with the conventional links?
(Eternal gratitude to anyone who can direct me to a non- astronomically priced SL chain for future replacement).
Old 03-09-22, 08:22 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I have a Regina SL chain with hollow pins. I might need to lengthen it. There is a short section of conventional links to allow this. Has anyone had experience with doing this, and if so, what Regina chain would "mesh" with the conventional links?
(Eternal gratitude to anyone who can direct me to a non- astronomically priced SL chain for future replacement).
I have not done any comprehensive testing, but I've bodged Regina Oro and Sedis (forget the model) links in my SL chain and both worked fine. My SL is silver and the Sedis was black, so esthetically some might find it offensive, but functionally it was not noticeable. If there is significantly more or less wear on one chain than the other you may hear or feel a difference.
Likes For sincos:
Old 03-10-22, 12:11 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
I recently did this on my Colnago when I added a "triplizer" (3rd chainring) and longer cage on the RD. Do you know how many additional links are required? What is your goal? I was surprised that I only needed to add one full link when I went from 42x28 low to 32x28 low. Fortunately, I had an extra Regina SL chain that was worn out, and I stole one link from that chain (the chain was slightly stretched but how much harm could one slightly elongated link do? - it seems to run fine). My chain is silver color, but I see yours is black. They made these SL chains through the 6-8 speed era, so I think an important issue is making sure the chain widths are the same. I have SL chains on a few bikes, and a couple spares I'm hording for future builds & replacements.

Sorry, not looking to sell...

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-10-22, 02:01 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
Not what you're asking but related: I found I could shorten an SL chain beyond the number of normal links, anywhere in the hollow pin part of the chain. You just have to join it there with a normal link after shortening. This was in about 1990 when I was building up my racing tandem. It was a show bike, as in actually hung in our booth at Interbike and the Seattle Bike Expo, so I wanted to get it under 30 pounds, in its actual rideable configuration. That's with clinchers, triple chainring, i.e. all-purpose tandem not a pure racing bike. No carbon. 30 lb was light for a tandem back then, but 29 pounds sounded so much better!

I wanted to use the hollow chain for the timing side, which is longer than one chain but shorter than two whole chains, so I had to remove some of the hollow links to get two chains to be short enough. The final result had only two normal links (with solid pins), one each at two places in the chain, all the rest were hollow.

Breaking the chain at a hollow pin joint involved grinding off the peened part of the hollow bushing, to get the side plate off, then I could rivet a normal link into the inner link of the hollow part. Worked perfectly.

I don't remember for sure but I think I found that a SedisSport chain would join correctly to a Regina SL. Even those are not exactly thick on the ground these days but should be easier to find.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Mark B
Old 03-10-22, 05:18 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I recently did this on my Colnago when I added a "triplizer" (3rd chainring) and longer cage on the RD. Do you know how many additional links are required? What is your goal? I was surprised that I only needed to add one full link when I went from 42x28 low to 32x28 low. Fortunately, I had an extra Regina SL chain that was worn out, and I stole one link from that chain (the chain was slightly stretched but how much harm could one slightly elongated link do? - it seems to run fine). My chain is silver color, but I see yours is black. They made these SL chains through the 6-8 speed era, so I think an important issue is making sure the chain widths are the same. I have SL chains on a few bikes, and a couple spares I'm hording for future builds & replacements.

Sorry, not looking to sell...

Thanks, it's bad enough you're not selling, but did you have to include a picture of what I want and can't have?!