Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub Body Oil/Lube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freehub Body Oil/Lube

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 02:16 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Freehub Body Oil/Lube

Hi, my rear hub is Shimano FH-TX505. I have remove the freehub body to clean. I used a spray degreaser to clean it. Now it's fully dry and needs to be oiled. I know only light oil can be used and not grease. I have 4 questions:

1/ What type of light oil can be used?
2/ Can I use any sewing machine oil?
3/ Can we use chain lube?
4/ Can the Shimano brake mineral oil be used?

Thanks
Old 07-09-22, 07:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I've used Tri-Flow to lube my freehubs for decades and they last nearly forever. I suppose you could use anything that's "oil" but your choice 2 is marginal and 3 and 4 are unsuitable. Splurge and buy something better and more specific.
Old 07-09-22, 08:42 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I've always used high viscosity oils such as auto gear lube, made my own with a mix of grease and motor oil to make a concoction that just barely drips and also found that Chain-L lube or Phils Tenacious works perfectly. IME too thick of a lube such as straight greases will make it difficult for the pawls to engage and too thin tends to seep through the seals in warm temps for Shimano FH's.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-09-22, 08:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
For freewheels, freehubs, and SA 3 speeds I sparingly use whatever weight of full synthetic motor oil happens to be open in my garage. Typically 5/20 or 10/30
Old 07-09-22, 08:56 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 382 Posts
I prefer a thicker oil, also. Makes the freehub a little quieter. My favorite is Finish Line Wet.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 07-09-22, 11:41 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Years ago, there was an article in Velonews about lubing freehubs. I would take apart the freehub body and replace the pawl spring with a slightly heavier piano wire spring that I bent to fit. I could then use a Freehub Buddy to pump in a light grease (Lubriplate EMG). I overhauled my hubs every 2500 miles and greased the freehub body every other time. It would take a 20 mile ride to loosen up the freehub and it was quiet and smooth.
Old 07-09-22, 12:18 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The issue is Phil Wood and Tri Flow oil are not available in my country and expensive to buy for just 2 times of use maybe. I guess, a light sewing machine or motor oil may be a go.
Old 07-09-22, 03:27 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
Hi, my rear hub is Shimano FH-TX505. I have remove the freehub body to clean. I used a spray degreaser to clean it. Now it's fully dry and needs to be oiled. I know only light oil can be used and not grease. I have 4 questions:

1/ What type of light oil can be used?
2/ Can I use any sewing machine oil?
3/ Can we use chain lube?
4/ Can the Shimano brake mineral oil be used?

Thanks
I have always used a light application of grease and then oil on top of it for a very durable lube and a quieter freehub. Historically I know that some sewing machine oils were vegetable based but I don't know if that is still the case. Chain lubes vary widely in what they are. Brake fluids are sometimes not ideal lubes. Just find something like a 20w or 30w viscosity lube (similar to motor oil). Any hydrocarbon lube with sufficient viscosity will be fine. I would avoid "thin" oils if only because of the resulting noise.
Old 07-09-22, 03:52 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I have always used a light application of grease and then oil on top of it for a very durable lube and a quieter freehub. Historically I know that some sewing machine oils were vegetable based but I don't know if that is still the case. Chain lubes vary widely in what they are. Brake fluids are sometimes not ideal lubes. Just find something like a 20w or 30w viscosity lube (similar to motor oil). Any hydrocarbon lube with sufficient viscosity will be fine. I would avoid "thin" oils if only because of the resulting noise.
I saw many used a light thin chain lube. GMBN guy did it with a chain lube.
. I have the BTWin chain lubricant for all weather conditions. It is not thick. It is like a light oil.
Old 07-09-22, 10:51 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is this motor oil ok to use? It is 20w-40. See image attached. If yes, how many weeks or months can it stay?
Old 07-11-22, 10:10 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
Is this motor oil ok to use? It is 20w-40. See image attached. If yes, how many weeks or months can it stay?
As noted above, any oil will work. Not sure what you mean by "how long it can stay." Unless you get into an unusual situation, a lubed freehub body is good for thousands of miles.