Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anything wrong with this bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 11:12 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts

54" specialized allez, "very good working condition" $150

seems a bargain and ngl I like the thumb shifters of olde. Wary of old carbon maybe? No mention of age or anything really in the ad.
Old 09-06-22, 11:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
54" specialized allez, "very good working condition" $150

seems a bargain and ngl I like the thumb shifters of olde. Wary of old carbon maybe? No mention of age or anything really in the ad.
That is an all aluminum main frame with a steel fork. I don't see any carbon fiber on it.

I don't see anything particularly out of place. However, I'd encourage doing a pretty thorough tuneup on any older bike you pick up.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-06-22, 11:30 PM
DonkeyShow

Good to know, I read that the new ones have a carbon fork at least. Already got a crappy aluminum bike with thumbie brifters soo guess this is a pass. Still curious if anyone knows how old it is.
Old 09-06-22, 11:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
To me it looks like it is probably between about 2000 and 2005.

I'm not sure that steel fork is the original fork.

However, looking at Google, I'm not seeing that paint job.
Old 09-07-22, 08:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
How do you expect anyone on the internet to know whether there is "anything wrong with this bike" from a couple low-res photos?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-07-22, 09:30 AM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by Koyote
How do you expect anyone on the internet to know whether there is "anything wrong with this bike" from a couple low-res photos?
Someone has already been helpful, you are clearly a ******bag. Why bother responding? Get a life you grumpy old ****.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-07-22, 09:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
Someone has already been helpful, you are clearly a ******bag. Why bother responding? Get a life you grumpy old ****.
AND WE'RE OFF!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-07-22, 09:45 AM
DonkeyShow

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
AND WE'RE OFF!
dude is a ******g loser. Let's go!
Old 09-07-22, 10:15 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
dude is a ******g loser. Let's go!
Well, opinions vary, but he does have a valid point.
Do the brakes work? How about the shifting? Are the wheels true? Any noises from the bottom bracket area? How does the headset feel? Are cables in good condition? No one can see that from your photos.
BTW, it's a 54cm frame. A 54" frame would probably be too large for you.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-07-22, 10:29 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Calling someone a "grumpy old ****" via a profanity-laced diatribe is amusing. And their point is valid...we can't determine if "anything is wrong" with that bike via pics. The "helpful" member you pointed out merely advised that it doesn't have any carbon fiber...that's different than pointing out "anything that's wrong".
Likes For kwb377:
Old 09-07-22, 10:39 AM
DonkeyShow

No longer interested in this bike as I said in post #3. Have fun.
Old 09-07-22, 10:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, opinions vary, but he does have a valid point.
Do the brakes work? How about the shifting? Are the wheels true? Any noises from the bottom bracket area? How does the headset feel? Are cables in good condition? No one can see that from your photos.
BTW, it's a 54cm frame. A 54" frame would probably be too large for you.
Originally Posted by kwb377
Calling someone a "grumpy old ****" via a profanity-laced diatribe is amusing. And their point is valid...we can't determine if "anything is wrong" with that bike via pics. The "helpful" member you pointed out merely advised that it doesn't have any carbon fiber...that's different than pointing out "anything that's wrong".
Why I didn't try to be helpful when I first saw this thread.

I saw this thread right after it had been posted and started to make the obvious point ... but I figure I have said the same thing many times here, and so have many others .... there is now way to tell whether a bike works from photos. And anyone with a brain has the option of understanding that.

Seriously .... if I post pictures of ten cars and ask, "Which ones of these don't run," who would know? (Not me, because I chose ten random cars form a web search.)

There is a type of business, the "Buy Here, Pay Here" auto lot, which businesses stay in business because some people will pay ridiculous money for a car with buffed-out paint and a wax job. Radiator full of oatmeal and Stopleak, tires full of Fix-a-flat, oil pan full of metal shavings, diff housing full of sawdust to mute the rattling of broken teeth ... but slick-looking paint, and people will buy it. Almost as if the external appearance mattered more than the mechanical function.

If I rolled up to the OP in my shining new, smoking, shaking, rattling, wheezing "New" car and bragged about how I made a low down payment and got a six-year, high-interest loan, and then moaned because the car was stuck in low gear ... OP would laugh and insult me ... ; like he insulted some guy who advised him not to buy a flashy paint job without starting the engine.

DonkeyShow how, I am going to charitably assume that you were just trying to be funny with what would otherwise have been a very ignorant, asinine retort. If you truly think people can tell if a bike works from a low-res photo .... i will sell you a ton of bikes. Really low cost, low down payment .....

The guy gave you very good advice. I know you could see that immediately and were just making a silly, smart-mouthed response for humor value. So thanks for the laughs ..... eh?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-07-22, 11:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Hi! What's this thread about??
Old 09-07-22, 12:07 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What's this thread about??
Its about to be closed.

Likes For cb400bill: