Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Frame Pump

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Frame Pump

Old 08-24-22, 04:37 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Frame Pump

I took the long way home yesterday and I had a flat. No problem, I though. I change the tire/tube and started to pump up the tire. Nothing. The pump wouldn't work.. What is the best frame pump on the market?
Old 08-24-22, 09:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
A new pump? A pump that's been maintained, i.e. the O-ring has been oiled periodically? Not just trying to be sarcastic; the problem is any pump that's infrequently used may have seals dry up and shrink, and then they don't seal any more.

I've been a fan of the Topeak Road Morph for years. Not quite a frame pump, though it mounts on the frame. It pumps well for 10 years or so without any maintenance.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-24-22, 10:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
The pumps that are a joy to use and are very reliable are the Zephal HPX pumps. Full sized (they come in four lengths) to fit under top tubes or in front of seatposts. Many run them along the left seatstay on modern CF bikes. 90 strokes will get most road tires to full pressure, not just "enough to get home". 120 psi is easy. They require close to no maintenance and replacement gaskets are available. Company is going nowhere. They've been making those pumps and their very similar predecessor for 50 years. I've been using the HPs since 1973 and have two on bikes now. The HPXs started around 20-25 years ago. Biggest difference between them is that on the HPX, yo can lock and unlock the handle spring so when you pump, you aren't working against it. That and the HPXs are black, not silver unless you get the silver "Classic"r.

Those HPs were my only pumps for years; one on each bike. I did all my racing with just those. (Yeah, at some races I had the luxury of someone putting a floor pump in my hands; sometimes even with a gauge!) Racing tires were thin latex tubed and got pumped from scratch every time.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-30-22, 09:20 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I have 3 Topeak road morphs, one older and two newer models. All work well. One is on my road bike, one on my commuter, and the third was to replace the older one but realized I just didn't need it. I've put the third on various other bikes at times. What surprised me is that when I went to use the one on my commuter (I've retired but still use this bike to get around) I had never changed it over to presta valves, which means I'd never gotten a flat in the three years I had it with me! Now of course I've jinxed it.
Likes For zacster:
Old 08-30-22, 11:18 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Uniche pump? - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUHOY2C...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Has a pressure gauge built in. Definitely more work than a Zefal HP, but seems to have decent reviews on youtube. For frame pumps, Zefal is hard to beat. There are other options if you want something smaller.
Old 08-30-22, 11:42 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Depends on whether you need a high pressure (road) or high volume (MTB, really wide city/touring/urban) pump.

High pressure the Lezyne Road Drive is excellent. Lots of good reviews for the Silca Tattico and Topeak Road Morph, although I found the latter confusing to use when I borrowed it once before I bought the Lezyne.

I don't have much experience with high volume minipumps but was just researching them for my new MTB. There are good reviews for the one I just ordered: Lezyne Pocket Drive, and also for the OneUp EDC and CrankBrothers Gem.
Old 08-30-22, 11:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
Road Morph ftw.
Old 09-05-22, 11:04 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The pumps that are a joy to use and are very reliable are the Zephal HPX pumps. Full sized (they come in four lengths) to fit under top tubes or in front of seatposts. Many run them along the left seatstay on modern CF bikes. 90 strokes will get most road tires to full pressure, not just "enough to get home". 120 psi is easy. They require close to no maintenance and replacement gaskets are available. Company is going nowhere. They've been making those pumps and their very similar predecessor for 50 years. I've been using the HPs since 1973 and have two on bikes now. The HPXs started around 20-25 years ago. Biggest difference between them is that on the HPX, yo can lock and unlock the handle spring so when you pump, you aren't working against it. That and the HPXs are black, not silver unless you get the silver "Classic"r.

Those HPs were my only pumps for years; one on each bike. I did all my racing with just those. (Yeah, at some races I had the luxury of someone putting a floor pump in my hands; sometimes even with a gauge!) Racing tires were thin latex tubed and got pumped from scratch every time.

Boosting this. If you want a true frame pump, nothing else will do. Topeak Road Morph doesn’t even come close to a Zefal HPX. Full-size frame pumps have gone out of style, but not because there’s anything available that replaces their function. If you want speed and light weight, get a CO2 inflator and a couple canisters. If you want 100% reliability and unlimited air, get a Zefal HPX.
Old 09-05-22, 11:12 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Just do some research and read reviews on any pump you are considering. I generally just use Co2 cartridges but I do have a Bontrager Air Support HV frame pump for emergencies and it works fine.

I generally only carry one tube, one Co2 and Park GP-2 patches for emergency use if I get more than one flat on a ride.
Old 09-16-22, 12:04 PM
blingshock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used the Topeak Pocket Rocket to replace roadside flats a bunch of times and that has not given me any issues (road bike tires)
Old 09-18-22, 05:55 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Lezyne Micro Floor HP

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-mfdr-v204hp

It has a holder that screws on the frame without blocking anything (pump is held offset), the thing screws onto the valve (better seal than a a
squeezing end) and it has a pull-out panel to step for leverage and work like a small portable floor pump.

I hate the super small ones you hold in two hands and work with a vulgar rhythmic motion.
Old 09-24-22, 03:28 PM
Joseph Williams

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame pumps? I don't know about those. People now a days tend to be using these much lesser. I'm not sure but aren't there CO2 inflators going about the market? I'd rather use those instead of a frame pump. Frame pumps just doesn't sit right with me.
Old 09-24-22, 04:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
[QUOTE=surak;22629681]Depends on whether you need a high pressure (road) or high volume (MTB, really wide city/touring/urban) pump.

High pressure the Lezyne Road Drive is excellent. Lots of good reviews for the Silca Tattico and Topeak Road Morph, although I found the latter confusing to use when I borrowed it once before I bought the Lezyne.

I don't have much experience with high volume minipumps but was just researching them for my new MTB. There are good reviews for the one I just ordered: Lezyne Pocket Drive, and also for the OneUp EDC and CrankBrothers Gem.[/QUO NTE]
The Zephal HPX isn't design for high volume tires but it does rather well anyway. Not a hardship to ride 38c tires to the gravel, drop the pressure to almost nothing then pump back up to 70 psi to get home. So, again, put one of these on each bike and you're done; ready for anything. Pumping tires is so easy it's simply not a big deal. Nightmare ride with a half dozen or more flats? Yes, tubes, tires, patches may be a huge issue but getting sufficient air in won't be.
Old 09-25-22, 12:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have a Mountain Morph. I had a heart surgery and for a while my chest couldn’t do mini pumps, so I needed the foot rest,. Only disadvantage is it’s huge. Road Morph is just as long but smaller diameter for higher pressure.
Old 09-25-22, 02:05 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I have Silca and Zefal frame pumps and like them. Unfortunately they don't fit on some of my bikes.