Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride with an ADD accident prone gawker?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone ride with an ADD accident prone gawker?

Old 09-29-22, 09:02 PM
don compton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
At 70, I have ridden with several bike clubs since 1984. In the beginning I was taught certain rules for riding with a group. I don't need to go into the specifics. The club that I used to ride with locally has significant crashes regularly. I have decided that I will only ride alone or with friends that I can trust. Times have changed, Oh Well
Likes For don compton:
Old 10-03-22, 10:33 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Im currently riding with a 60's guy in fairly good shape but he just cant keep his head pointed straight ahead. Last year he had his head bent around to tell me some unimportant story went off the MUP, tried to get back on and crashed. He ended up at acute care. Yesterday he was infatuated with two blue herons at the edge of our local lake. He road right into a metal sign at speed. He crashed hard, the sound of his body hitting the pavement was very alarming. In both cases his helmet saved his bacon, but I really dont like "drama" when Im cycling. Can anyone relate?
looks like those sudden stops would teach him, if not there's no hope
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-03-22, 10:51 AM
phedge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
There's just some people who have poor situational awareness combined with a general klutziness that makes them a real danger. A few have shown up on group rides and you can tell immediately you don't want to grab that wheel. It's kind of funny/frightening as everyone tries to maneuver away until the ride leader asks them to ride in the back until further notice.
Likes For phedge:
Old 10-04-22, 04:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
IDK ... I'm ADD, and so far I don't or won't lose focus on a road, whether I'm walking, riding, or driving. Is this friend truly ADD? If so, is he getting treatment?

Have you told him you won't ride with him unless he stops getting himself into trouble? That may be harsh, but it may also be what he needs to make some necessary changes.
Likes For philbob57: