Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mix Match Shimano & MicroShift Components / Shifters & Derailleur !

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 11:43 AM
Majcool
Majcool

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having shifting /chain issues . I ride a specialized Sirrus 4.0 !
Old 10-04-22, 11:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
And your question or comment is?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-04-22, 12:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Sorry to hear, hope your bike feels better soon. Andy
Old 10-04-22, 12:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I don't have issues with my bike. I ride a 2020 Specialized Tarmac.

Welcome to BF!

Apologies for the taunting, but to keep us from just rehashing all the many things that aren't the cause of your shifting problem, a little details about what is happening will help us all.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-04-22, 02:58 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Majcool
Having shifting /chain issues . I ride a specialized Sirrus 4.0 !
Welcome to Bike Forums.

To get effective help, I'd recommend posting again and adding the following info:

1. Specific models of shifter and derailleur, including manufacturer (i.e., Shimano Tiagra ST-4703 front/left STI, Microshift FD-732 front derailleur, make/model of front crank with chainring tooth counts, etc . . . ). Do this for each component involved in your shifting/chain issues. Don't forget the specifics on the chain (if you know them).
2. Specifically describe what issues you are having (e.g., "When I attempt to shift from middle to small chainring, it takes a long time and is noisy afterwards. It seems to be rubbing against the front derailleur.")
3. Be prepared to answer follow-up questions with more details.

The pros here can help. But they need info to do a remote diagnosis, and simply telling them what type of bike you have isn't enough info to start. And they're also busy enough that they don't like having their time wasted playing "20 questions/guess what I mean".

Last edited by Hondo6; 10-04-22 at 03:02 PM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 10-04-22, 06:42 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
I have an 11 speed microshift bar end shifter and shimano deore rd M5100 rear derailleur and 11 speed 11-42 shimano xt rear cassette and shifts great oh and a box 4 11 speed chain...
Old 10-04-22, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Ok cool, you are probably a good candidate for taking it back to the shop you purchased it from and get them to help out. More than likely it is just due to lack of service but like others have mentioned nobody would know because you posted almost no info about what is going on.

I have things and my stuff is not working. I played bocce ball for 27 years.
Old 10-05-22, 04:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Presuming this is the bike, it looks like it came/comes with a Shimano Sora RD, a Microshift FD, Microshift trigger shifters, a Shimano cassette, and a KMC chain. Presuming this is the drivetrain in question, it should all work well together because the shifters and derailers are designed with the same cable pull ratios, meaning they should be compatible. Any shifting issues are likely due to poor adjustment of cables. Without knowing additional details, I'd recommend a trip to the bike shop to have them evaluate exactly what's on the bike and confirm proper adjustment. If you bought the bike new, and can take it to the original selling bike shop, they will likely tune it up at no additional cost to you.
Old 10-05-22, 12:36 PM
shmuelyosef

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Presuming this is the bike, it looks like it came/comes with a Shimano Sora RD, a Microshift FD, Microshift trigger shifters, a Shimano cassette, and a KMC chain. Presuming this is the drivetrain in question, it should all work well together because the shifters and derailers are designed with the same cable pull ratios, meaning they should be compatible. Any shifting issues are likely due to poor adjustment of cables. Without knowing additional details, I'd recommend a trip to the bike shop to have them evaluate exactly what's on the bike and confirm proper adjustment. If you bought the bike new, and can take it to the original selling bike shop, they will likely tune it up at no additional cost to you.
I bought a new cannondale topstone last year that came with a GRX Shimano group, but swapped a cheap FSA crank instead of a GRX. I could never get the shifting quite right (been building and setting up bikes for 50 tears) u til i realized that their was a chainline difference of 2.5mm between the GRX front mech and the crankset. Replaced it with a GRX crankset and everything worked swimmingly! Caveat emptor!