Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone setup a gravel for more road use ?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Has anyone setup a gravel for more road use ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 05:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Who told you that???? 2x GRX will work fine. I first converted the praxis to 2x that came with the bike. Now I have 2x shimano xt m785 crankset on there.
The praxis 2x chainring is as big GRX. praxis 48/32 vs GRX 48/31. so there's room.
Deore XT crankset to use smaller chain rings (than Praxis or GRX)? The chain line is even further outward than GRX, right?
Old 02-02-23, 06:25 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Deore XT crankset to use smaller chain rings (than Praxis or GRX)? The chain line is even further outward than GRX, right?
I went from a 48/32 to a 40/28. I had to lower the front derailleur. Swapped praxis BB for wheels mfg that worked with T47 and 24mm spindle. Since I lowered the front derailleur all adjustments where off anyways. So I just started from scratch. I just trial and error with the spacers to get it where I want.

Yes, I wanted a mtb crank because there's a lot more lower gear options. I can put a 26 or 24 on there in the future if I like. It's pretty easy to find an inner ring with 64mm pcd bolt pattern.

It was difficult finding 2x 170mm MTB crankset that used 24mm spindle. I did not want to use gxp, dub, 30mm bearings.

Only down side is the MTB crankset has a wider q-factor. 175mm vs 147mm on the praxis.
TBH I can't tell a difference but I wonder if it makes a difference on a century ride. I see Dixna La crankset comes in a more road/gravel friendly q-factor and I get the gears I am looking for but I can't find any reviews of them. When I search for them online the only the pops up is people selling them. They don't even have their own website.

The shimano m785 from 10+ years ago shifts nicer than my praxis and it does not creek like my praxis so I am happy with my investment.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 02-03-23, 03:44 AM
letrebici

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Who told you that???? 2x GRX will work fine. I first converted the praxis to 2x that came with the bike. Now I have 2x shimano xt m785 crankset on there.
The praxis 2x chainring is as big GRX. praxis 48/32 vs GRX 48/31. so there's room.

It was kind of a pain to covert though. Getting the left shifter in grx 810 was difficult. Replaced the rear derailleur, cassette.

Since you are local to me I will sell the praxis 2x chainrring if you don't want to have to buy a new BB if you switch to shimano.
sean.hwy

Thanks for the detailed info on your various Hakka builds! Cool that the 2x is possible. I knew it would be a hassle and require many changes – but you perservered! I am new to working on my own bikes so I am learning. But the info about max/min chainring sizes is in the FAQ tab on the Ibis site:
What’s the max chainring I can put on my Ibis?

The max single chainring for the Hakka MX is a 48t. The minimum is a 34t. The Hakka is also compatible with the following double chainring combinations: 53/39, 50/34, 46/36, 52/36. The 34t inner ring on a 50/34 is the smallest we recommend. Any smaller may cause chain contact on the underside of the chainstay
So, based on the above, given the GRXs currently available are: 48-31T and 46-30T, the small CRs are too small, so I considered them incompatible. But you did bend the rule a hair, with your 32t CR and now 28T? wow.

When you had your 2x Praxis CR, which GRX derailleur did you use… Shimano GRX RX810 or RX812? I have the stock 812 for my 1x. In the beginning I rode a bit of doubletrack and easy singletrack with the Hakka I was going to make the Hakka a do everything bike (I have a set of 650Bs too) but I prefer straight bars. This summer I picked up a 12 speed hardtail MTB for trails with climbs. So I am sort of reconfiguring the Hakka to be 70/30: Road/trail. when I go trail with the Hakka, I will throw on my 650Bs with 2.2 tires.

I am a mild rider, so I doubt if the Q-factor would make a big difference for my crawl pace. But I am curious and I need to measure my old road bike to compare.

Thanks again

[I tried to post a photo of my Hakka pavement ride today, but this is only my second post here! …denied!]
Old 02-03-23, 05:03 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by letrebici
sean.hwy

Thanks for the detailed info on your various Hakka builds! Cool that the 2x is possible. I knew it would be a hassle and require many changes – but you perservered! I am new to working on my own bikes so I am learning. But the info about max/min chainring sizes is in the FAQ tab on the Ibis site:So, based on the above, given the GRXs currently available are: 48-31T and 46-30T, the small CRs are too small, so I considered them incompatible. But you did bend the rule a hair, with your 32t CR and now 28T? wow.

When you had your 2x Praxis CR, which GRX derailleur did you use… Shimano GRX RX810 or RX812? I have the stock 812 for my 1x. In the beginning I rode a bit of doubletrack and easy singletrack with the Hakka I was going to make the Hakka a do everything bike (I have a set of 650Bs too) but I prefer straight bars. This summer I picked up a 12 speed hardtail MTB for trails with climbs. So I am sort of reconfiguring the Hakka to be 70/30: Road/trail. when I go trail with the Hakka, I will throw on my 650Bs with 2.2 tires.

I am a mild rider, so I doubt if the Q-factor would make a big difference for my crawl pace. But I am curious and I need to measure my old road bike to compare.

Thanks again

[I tried to post a photo of my Hakka pavement ride today, but this is only my second post here! …denied!]
I swapped out the rear Derailleur to Shimano GRX RX-810 to work with the 2x. I am slow climber so I like the lower gears.
Old 02-03-23, 11:17 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I put some fenders and different bars on it and have been riding it to work
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 02-03-23, 02:16 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
road setup, e5 diverge w/ 302s, Compact 50/34 Quarq cranks. Running SRAM 1099 11-36 cassette to drop half pound of rotating weight.
Roval terra CF seatpost and S-works 110mm stem (90 was short). Fizik ALIANTE R1 saddle for the cockpit

2nd wheelset- Bontrager 37Vpro with WTB Venture 50c x700 setup (no chance of mud ride) or use IRC Boken Plus 38c I used at last yr's BWR San Diego

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 02-03-23, 03:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Germany_chris Your gravel bike is so clean (both figuratively and literally).

jsigone I am glad to see your gravel bike with a non-flared bar; the EA70 AX that comes on mine has 16-deg. flared drops which feel ridiculously wide
Old 02-03-23, 03:21 PM
Peruvian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had WTB Byways on my Kona Sutra LTD and ran it on mixed surface. Tubeless and low PSI meant it did well over rough terrain. Pump them up for asphalt.
Old 02-03-23, 03:32 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
SoSmellyAir sorta traditionalist but the slacker head tube geo makes steering slow anyways. Wider bars on road tight turns would be horrible for handling. Feels slow enough w the wheelbase and slacked angles. But smooth is fast in the tight turns.

depends how you setup and use the bikes. This setup can climb the inland roadie hills really well and comfy for all day stuff. Swap wheels/tires and hit the chucky dirt trails around my area hence why I use 50c.

LOL I'm gonna do a crit race on it sunday...see how the diverge holds up at speed
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-18-23, 12:11 PM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Just got a Cannondale Topstone 3 gravel bike with the Shimano Sora components. Second to none in every way except the mechanical disc brakes are a little crude but they work. I installed Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x38 tires.

I found the handlebar too high, made it hard to pedal. Lowered it under the spacers, now feels and rides like any road bike. The rack mounts, lower gears and ability to put wider tires (32mm to 45mm) don’t hurt.

I’m glad I also have an endurance bike with 105 components, hydraulic brakes and 28mm tires. Still I would have trouble choosing if I could only keep one.
Likes For Robert7659:
Old 03-18-23, 11:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I'm going through this exact experiment: threw some 33mm slicks (Soma Supple Vitess; 31mm true width) on my Trek Boone for road riding (l since all the trails are currently flooded and muddy.

I like the tires but the bike feels far from my road bikes. The next step is to throw some more money into getting a nice lightweight wheelset to see if that narrows the gap - I'll admit I am currently doubtful. The Boone is 2-3 lbs heavier than my road bikes, and about 1 mph slower in average speed, but it just feels heavy and unresponsive compared to my roadies.