Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9 speed crank meshed with 10 speed group? Ultegra upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 09:43 AM
vaccineman
Professional Student

Bikes: novara express; basso zer0.9 frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings! I'm building a roadbike from the frame up, and like many in this situation, look for good deals on the individual components here/there/everywhere that are cost-effective but work well together. That said:

I obtained a new 9-speed (double) ultergra crankset with the intent of adding it to an otherwise 10-speed ultegra group. After the fact, it dawned on me that the 10-speed chain is *narrower* and may drop between the 53 and 39 chainring space when shifting up front.

On the other hand, Shimano offers a 4-piece ultegra upgrade package (levers, cassette, chain, rear derail), so maybe it's safe to 'assume' that the front derail and crankset from the previous drivetrain mesh fine with the new? Anyone out there with hands-on experience with this proposed combo?

Best case scenario- works great- no problems, followed by return it and pay more $ for the 10-speed version, or maybe purchase shorter chainring bolts such that 39-53 spacing is reduced...

Thanks!
Old 04-13-05, 09:53 AM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vaccineman

I obtained a new 9-speed (double) ultergra crankset with the intent of adding it to an otherwise 10-speed ultegra group. After the fact, it dawned on me that the 10-speed chain is *narrower* and may drop between the 53 and 39 chainring space when shifting up front.

Thanks!
10 speed chain on a '9 speed crank' is not an issue.
Old 04-13-05, 11:25 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
It should work even though the official Shimano answer is to have all matching components. I'm using a 9-speed chain on an old 7-speed MTB without any shifting problems.