Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Picked up a Peugeot, got some basic questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 02:00 PM
bdavignon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,
I've been casually biking Boston for the past couple of years. I was riding an old Raleigh Sports-3spd, which got stolen last season, so I've been looking for a decent road bike. After months of watching CL, I found a Peugeot Aspin for $100 pretty close by. The chain was locked up in a bunch of places, and the tires are pretty beat, had been sitting in a garage for a few years, but everything was still pretty greasy, nothing drying out too bad. The guy offered down to $90, so I went for it!
Now I'm having trouble ID'ing the bike correctly. I've found Peugeot Aspin which is the Aspin, but not quite my bike.
From the same catalog, the Aravis Peugeot Aravis is much more similar to my bike.
My paint is exactly like the Red/White Aravis, same Shimano 105 drivetrain/brakes, but I have a Reynolds 501 Frame (where 531 is pictured)
On the bottom right bar, it says Made in France, and the Reynolds 501 sticker is in French.

I managed to break all the kinks in the chain with enough WD-40 and a couple pairs of pliers, and the wheels are holding air, good enough for a test ride around the block!
Very pleased with how it rode. Gears 1-6 felt good, brakes worked well.

I am looking for tires and a new chain now. I believe I will need 700cc tires and I don't know how to measure a chain. Can I get some input on these two? Confirmation on sizes, and personal opinions/different options would be great!

Hopefully I'll have some pics up soon, any input would be great.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-19-10, 02:11 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
the tire size should be on the sidewall of the old tires...

as for the chain, the width is Dependant on the number of gears in the rear, so a 6 speed rear should need a 6 speed chain. as for length, just remove the old chain, and shorten the new one to match.

good luck!
Old 04-19-10, 04:35 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Bike like that will use an older style chain. I don't know if you'll see any labeled as "6 Speed" but there's plenty of 7 speed chains by SRAM and Shimano to name a few. A "8 Speed" chain will work as well.

You need to install the chain using the proper tool. That tool will also remove the old chain. You can use the old chain to measure the length of the new one as I doubt the old one stretched much.

As noted above the current tires will give you the size you need. Either 700C or 27"X1. Many more options available in 700 but still plenty of 27s around.

Search the Park Tools site and Sheldon Brown's site for great DIY info.
Old 04-19-10, 05:56 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C&V might help?
Old 04-20-10, 11:21 AM
bdavignon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Found the tire size, 27 x 1 1/4. I'll see what I can find for 6spd chains, probably go for Shimano to match the rest of the 105 components.

I'll take a look at those sites, come back for any questions I have about the chain.

C&V? Don't believe I know what that means.
Old 04-21-10, 07:51 AM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdavignon

C&V? Don't believe I know what that means.
Classic and Vintage forum.