Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Suggested replacement connectors for Magicshine?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-02-10, 03:09 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've got a 1st gen Magicshine, and after a year and a half, the cables have given up near the connectors, from twisting to try to undo them. So, I plan to buy a couple of replacement connectors, and replace both those on the battery and light, and those on the charger (of course). Any suggestions for a reasonably priced, easy to wire connector that will be sufficiently waterproof, and ideally, require no twisting?
Old 12-04-10, 08:40 AM
Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Batteryspace sells a number of different types of connectors like 2 pin connectors and barrel connectors. They also have Trail Tech connectors which are very much like the original MS ones - so much so they will mate but not snap together. TTs are very good connectors and quite waterproof. I used these to replace the connections on an old Nighthawk and they held up very well - much better than the original ones.

DigiKey and Mouser also have a number of barrel type connectors, they might have something more robust like we would want for a light but I am not sure what it would be called in their catalog.

When the MS Y and extension cables showed up on DX, I bought several of each to cut up for the connections on various projects. 3 connectors for $3.98 is a bargain and easy to replace even if they aren't quite as nice as a Trail Tech.

HTH
Old 12-04-10, 11:57 AM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plutonix
Batteryspace sells a number of different types of connectors like 2 pin connectors and barrel connectors. They also have Trail Tech connectors which are very much like the original MS ones - so much so they will mate but not snap together. TTs are very good connectors and quite waterproof. I used these to replace the connections on an old Nighthawk and they held up very well - much better than the original ones.

DigiKey and Mouser also have a number of barrel type connectors, they might have something more robust like we would want for a light but I am not sure what it would be called in their catalog.

When the MS Y and extension cables showed up on DX, I bought several of each to cut up for the connections on various projects. 3 connectors for $3.98 is a bargain and easy to replace even if they aren't quite as nice as a Trail Tech.

HTH
Y cable for 6 bucks here