Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is It a Plot to Takeover the Folding Bikes Forum???

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Is It a Plot to Takeover the Folding Bikes Forum???

Old 05-17-12, 06:05 PM
windmiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
America, same language different world
Old 05-19-12, 01:57 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=violini;14232896]The posts in this site seem to make people believe that folding bikes are synonymous with Brompton, Dahon, tern, etc., and further down the line, such as Birdy, Bike Friday,....., /QUOTE]
Mezzo.......
Old 05-20-12, 10:06 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
[QUOTE=bhkyte;14245094]
Originally Posted by violini
The posts in this site seem to make people believe that folding bikes are synonymous with Brompton, Dahon, tern, etc., and further down the line, such as Birdy, Bike Friday,....., /QUOTE]
Mezzo.......
I think that is due in part because buyers of those "boutique" brands tend to hardcore enough to participate on a continual basis in a forum like this one. I have always bought "off brand" folders/non folders, and I've observed that my level of dissatisfaction doesn't seem much if any higher than those who spent 3-10 times as much.
Old 05-20-12, 01:16 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As noted earlier, if you are of average height, there is a plethora of very acceptable folders to choose from. If you are 6'2"-6'3" or taller, there are only a couple of 'comfortable' fitting bikes.

I recently tried out a friends new Tern - very nice bike, but just too short a cockpit for me, and the max seat height was a bit short. If I want to confirm how 'inadequate' most folders are for me, all I have to do is get on either of my Fridays. My city bike (the Bikes Direct Windsor) is a bit small for me, but was inexpensive and works very well for the 1-4 mile shopping trips we go on.

If I had to purchase a small-fold bike for train trips (which I/we might do in the future) I'd basically have two choices in the fit and quality range I would want - a Brompton or a tikit. Luckily, because we are spending our daughter's inheritance, we can afford either.

Note: We started with inexpensive 2005 Dahon Boardwalks (both a D7 & S1 for me). They were good bikes, folded better than the Fridays, but not as comfortable, capable, or as easily upgraded parts wise.

Lou
Old 05-23-12, 06:17 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wahoonc
If you are much over 6' tall and have a pedal to saddle measurement over 38" Brompton or Bike Friday are your only choices,
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
At 39" 'seat to pedal' understand your comment - not sure how well that small steel frame would hold up under my 205 lbs riding weight bobbing around up there, though.
Well.......actually, a Downtube Full Suspension will accomodate people of that height too. I'm 6'3 and around 250lbs, and I have both. The Brompton with the telescopic seatpost would take someone with MUCH longer legs than me, but the riding position becomes more compromised the further you go. My Downtube is much closer to the riding experience I really want, but with the drop bars I installed and a rack, it's a hassle to carry into hotels and training venues (I'm an itinerant leadership consultant), so I got the Brompton as a supplement. It was eye wateringly expensive, even on the cycle to work scheme, but the convenience of the fold lets me do what I want to do. I'm happy doing 10 or 12 miles on the Brompton, and the luggage system is fantastic for my needs. I am happy doing 50 miles on the Downtube, and if it was one of the new models which allows a proper rack, it'd be the perfect folding tourer for my needs.
Old 05-23-12, 10:31 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's the best website for Downtube bikes? I Googled it, but I'm not sure I'm getting to the right website.
Old 05-23-12, 10:58 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by violini
Back in the 70 and 80's when people talked about computers, it was always IBM and we paid a fortune for the machine. Where is IBM today? The name is still around but no longer making personal computers. Nowadays one could go to Walmart to buy a cheapo and has immense more power than those old IBM machine. Same goes for the folding bikes. With advancement in manufacturing and materials, better and more affordable folding bikes will be available.
Perhaps, Perhaps not. I have been around bicycles since the mid 1960s. I witnessed the decline of the "basic bicycle"-the one that most people buy. It is now either buy a bike that's good (and expensive), or buy a unpronounceable unrecognizable cheapo brand from some unpronounceable (plus forgettable) country. It is not a major problem as people in North America lose interest in most any new hobby or activity so fast and push the bicycle(s) far back into some dark recess of their storage area and simply forget about it/them.

Originally Posted by Purpleorchid
I learned my lesson already in the photography world with tripods...just because it's cheap(er), doesn't mean it's good. Spend the money once on a good quality product and be done with it. Going the cheap route will make you end up paying more in the end anyway because if you're serious about photography, you will end up buying the better tripod and also have bought all the cheaper versions (that broke/vibrated too much) along the way in your lesson.

For my Brompton situation, I had never heard of it...I was just drawn to a small folded thing I saw in a website picture of a LBS store. It looked like a bike and I had to find out what it was. I researched, found out it was a Brompton, then read all the info I could on it and the other competition. In the end settled on a Brompton b/c it was a handmade piece of machinery (hard to find those these days unless you spend your life savings on an exotic hand built car) and I couldn't get over the design.
Congratulations. You have avoided the major pitfalls of serious cycling with your wise choices.

Originally Posted by Foldable Two

Note: We started with inexpensive 2005 Dahon Boardwalks (both a D7 & S1 for me). They were good bikes, folded better than the Fridays, but not as comfortable, capable, or as easily upgraded parts wise.

Lou
Good observations on your part. I noticed as well that sometimes one simply grows out of his/her purchases or earlier choices. Or is pointed into another direction entirely.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-23-12 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 11:56 AM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by windmiller
America, same language different world
Only similar, I think you'll find!
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 05-23-12, 12:00 PM
Chop!

Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, we have had a lot of threads, on here, claiming that one or other folder is taking over (Downtube was the supposed villain for a while) If you want more posts about your particular marque, it's down to you to post stuff!
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Old 05-23-12, 02:00 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chop!
BTW, we have had a lot of threads, on here, claiming that one or other folder is taking over (Downtube was the supposed villain for a while) If you want more posts about your particular marque, it's down to you to post stuff!
When I first joined, the folder forum was dominated by mini-velo discussions. I was like - "This looks like a cool site, but I don't get why the folder forum is all about bikes that don't fold."
Old 05-24-12, 08:45 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chop!
Chop,

My original post, the one that started this tread, was sort of "tongue in cheek". I know Brompton has undertaken a BIG marketing effort in the last 2-3 years, and it has been pretty successful, IMO. We obviously own a few Fridays, but I have to readily admit there are other good folders out there.

Lou

Last edited by Foldable Two; 05-26-12 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 05:07 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Br*mpt*ns are the Work of Satan.

Moreover, many of them are painted in stupid colours, and some of the ones that are not don't got no paint at all!

What sort of bicycle is that? Hmmm?

Last edited by snafu21; 05-25-12 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How many work in the City of London, who bought a Brommy , discounted,
with the Gov't buy a bike credit, but still drive to the outside edge
of the congestion taxed zone, Then get the bike out of the boot
and just ride that last bit?
Old 05-25-12, 11:06 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I like the frame and fold of Bromptons but what's up with the archaic levers and shifters?
They look ridiculous; like technology from the 1960s and cheaper than anything from Walmart.
Why can't they include more modern components?
Old 05-25-12, 11:11 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttakata73
I like the frame and fold of Bromptons but what's up with the archaic levers and shifters?
They look ridiculous; like technology from the 1960s and cheaper than anything from Walmart.
That's the 'hand-built' bit. I would argue that the same lack of refinement extends to the frame design/construction also.
Old 05-25-12, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
hand built , not really, they make use of extensive jigs and tooling.
just not fully automated..
In fact they de skilled the hinge to tube connection job.
and added finishing job, boring the holes in the Cast hinge,
that lends itself to a torch array jig.. for the brazing.

Where they had to train people to make a quality filled braze bead
with torch and filler wire, to join the Forged hinge-plate to the tube.

the forged hinge plates are lighter than the cast ones, FWIW..

one thing the Brake levers have adapted towards,
is having the cable pull in the shortest path,
towards using the shortest cable and housing ,
by angling where the lever meets the cable.
improving braking in small increments ..

But tinkerers will bodge..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 12:34 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
While I certainly admire the way a Brompton folds and can't deny the total (well, almost) devotion and "cool-ativity" of the brand . . . I didn't buy one, but rather purchased a DaHon that cost (pretty much) the same, i.e. the Curve SL 8.

The reason? I rode both and vastly prefered the ride of the DaHon. Now I am fairly average height (for an American) at 5' 9" so the DaHon fits very well indeed with no mods necessary. I did add a rack, SPD pedals, rack trunk and lights, but the basic fit I did not change, since it works so well (for me). It has 16" wheels and the fold is almost as tight/small as the Brompton (which I needed since I ride the Metro train on my commute), so no worries there either.

So yes, I am glad there are Bromptons (and Birdys and Terns and whatever else) since it gives each individual valid choices with regard to what works best for them. The DaHon worked best for me; maybe not for you!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-25-12, 05:03 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ttakata73
The so-called archaic levers and shifters were designed to fit in with the tight fold. And despite their agricultural look, I found they work easily as well as other shifters and levers. I once tried to replace the lever with something nicer and immediately found it doesn't work.
Old 05-25-12, 11:00 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that is due in part because buyers of those "boutique" brands tend to hardcore enough to participate on a continual basis in a forum like this one. I have always bought "off brand" folders/non folders, and I've observed that my level of dissatisfaction doesn't seem much if any higher than those who spent 3-10 times as much.
Well, from your own words you seem to look at the negatives, if not focus on them "...my level of dissatisfaction doesn't seem much if any higher than those who spent 3-10 times as much..."

Personally, I try to examine things not from a negative or positive perspective, but as an engineer what gets my dollar is what is engineered the best. It has served me well when buying two cars, a house, and a handful of bikes, including two folding bikes. The reason why Brompton and Dahon gets a lot of press has to do with the brands' level of engineering, if they were bad bikes by design or had poor build quality they wouldn't sell and they wouldn't have such a large fan base. That doesn't mean that there aren't other good folding bikes out there.

I only paid $50 for my first folding bike, a KHS-F20A (this particular bike I did not buy for the engineering but as a low-cost entry into the folding genre to find out what it is all about), but the KHS isn't nearly as good, or provide as much utility as my Brompton, which I ride daily. The KHS served its purpose, it taught me a lot about folding bikes from which I could make a more knowledgeable decision in the future. I wouldn't pay $50 for another one, though, and the model has been discontinued. The Brompton, however, is worth every penny.
Old 05-25-12, 11:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
*cough*

I prefer to ride my bikes and when it comes to riding, the Brompton does not do a thing for me.

If I was to buy a new folder it would be a Bike Friday.

Until then... my vintage Phillip's 20 will just have to do.

Old 05-26-12, 01:06 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yep Brommies are taking over the world, here is is aleady king of the mountain.
Old 05-26-12, 02:06 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You want to know about Brompton riders, i'll tell you about Brompton rides, low down heels, one and all.

I was sitting in a queue of traffic on the Kings Road the other evening, minding my own business, blipping the throttle of my supercar, when i noticed an altercation starting on the pavement; an elderly, generously proportioned, eccentrically dressed gentleman was in physical dispute with what seemed to be a bouncer from a nearby bar, who seemed to be trying to gently persuade the gentleman to go on his way and take his business else where; but the gentleman was clearly having none of it, it flared up, as these things sometimes do when alcohol has been taken, and the gentleman became quite animated, which caused his rather fine and large multi-coloued louche hat to fly off into the road, at which point I saw a Bromton rider flash cross at high speed in front of me, zip through two streams of stationary traffic, come to a halt, pick up the hat, put on his head, and then ride off at even higher speed, (no doubt late for his evening shift in the City of London, eh Bob ?). All this unnoticed by the gentleman / owner, who at this time was trying to lay about the bouncer's head with a supermarket bag full of his worldly possessions. I wonder what he thought the next morning when he went to put his hat on, wonder if he remembered, and loudly cursed Brompton Riding hat sneak thieves everywhere.

Isn't stealing a man's hat a hanging offence in some states ?
Old 05-26-12, 11:58 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Yep Brommies are taking over the world, here is is aleady king of the mountain.
' can't even tell there was a Bromy in there.

What a neat fold indeed!
Old 05-29-12, 01:27 AM
Chop!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
You want to know about Brompton riders, i'll tell you about Brompton rides, low down heels, one and all.

I was sitting in a queue of traffic on the Kings Road the other evening, minding my own business, blipping the throttle of my supercar, when i noticed an altercation starting on the pavement; an elderly, generously proportioned, eccentrically dressed gentleman was in physical dispute with what seemed to be a bouncer from a nearby bar, who seemed to be trying to gently persuade the gentleman to go on his way and take his business else where; but the gentleman was clearly having none of it, it flared up, as these things sometimes do when alcohol has been taken, and the gentleman became quite animated, which caused his rather fine and large multi-coloued louche hat to fly off into the road, at which point I saw a Bromton rider flash cross at high speed in front of me, zip through two streams of stationary traffic, come to a halt, pick up the hat, put on his head, and then ride off at even higher speed, (no doubt late for his evening shift in the City of London, eh Bob ?). All this unnoticed by the gentleman / owner, who at this time was trying to lay about the bouncer's head with a supermarket bag full of his worldly possessions. I wonder what he thought the next morning when he went to put his hat on, wonder if he remembered, and loudly cursed Brompton Riding hat sneak thieves everywhere.

Isn't stealing a man's hat a hanging offence in some states ?
States in the UK? I think not!
Old 05-29-12, 03:23 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jur is joining the dark side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.