Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing a bike rack.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 02:43 PM
metomeya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay so I'm always putting my bike in my car, and to do so I have to take off the front wheel, fold my back seats down, and just barely be able to put it in the back of my trunk. A real pain after awhile.

So I've decided on a bike rack, but I'm wondering if you guys can give some recomendations. Heres a few quetions.

What are some good brands for bike racks? I want one that attached to the rear of my car, NOT the roof. Are car bike racks for one bike common? All I see are either doubles or more. Any bike shops I should look at? Do bike racks lock on the rear of my car, and does the bike rack lock to my bike somehow, so I don't have to worry about it been stolen?

I guess thats it for now, I'll post if I think about anything to ask about.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-05, 02:53 PM
jumpr
Resident Wolverine

Bikes: 2004 Lemond Tourmalet, 1998 Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a trailer hitch on your vehicle? If so, get a hitch-mounted rack. They will bend out of the way to let you open your trunk, which makes the rack much less of a nuisance when you need access to the trunk.
Old 11-05-05, 04:55 PM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the hitch mounted rack as it will be more secure and won't scratch your paint up like the ones with straps. Also, the more space you have for more bikes the better I've found. Its better to have the ability to take your bike and 3 friends than to have to take 2 cars.
Old 11-06-05, 12:11 PM
metomeya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any brands or models you guys could recommend (since it seems like you both have your own)?
Old 11-06-05, 12:16 PM
jumpr
Resident Wolverine

Bikes: 2004 Lemond Tourmalet, 1998 Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metomeya
any brands or models you guys could recommend (since it seems like you both have your own)?
Actually, I don't own a bike rack (my bike fits in my trunk when I fold the seats down). But I've heard great things about Yakima racks.
Old 11-07-05, 09:41 PM
vaccineman
Professional Student

Bikes: novara express; basso zer0.9 frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoyed my Yakima mighty joe 2, but had to return it when recalled recently. Upon researching why, I found that many users lost their cargo in transit because the support arms unlocked.

Lots of good reviews on Saris Bones, but it wasn't recommended for my car. Pretty, but also only a tripod rather than traditional 4 points of contact (other than straps).

Thule 961 (2 bike) and 962 (3 bike) also good reviews, and a go for both cars, so I traded the mighty for it at REI. It's smaller, better folded footprint, and so far so good. Fits both the 4runner and regal, so I'm set.
Old 11-08-05, 07:49 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
???? I have the Saris Bones 3, it has four legs + straps. I'm not sure what you mean when you said it's a tripod?

I would definitely recommend it. I really like it, I can put it on/off in just a minute or two now that I'm used to it (which is good since I don't leave it on the car unless I'm taking the bike somewhere). It is very stable. It can have up to three bikes but I've never carried more than one. The fastening straps seem high quality and reliable, and it has a strap for the down tube so the bike doesn't swing (less likely to scratch the car that way).
Old 11-08-05, 07:38 PM
vaccineman
Professional Student

Bikes: novara express; basso zer0.9 frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't consider the three rack- only have two bikes

But, the two rack version from Saris looks like this:

https://sunsetcyclery.com/site/images...s_805_01_m.jpg
Old 11-08-05, 11:31 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Yakima Mighty Joe 3 that was made before the recall - I bought it used at REI's Scratch 'n' Dent sale a few months ago for $25. It's great, much better than the cheapo no-name one I used for years. It has separate holders for each bike, and fits up to 3 bikes (Mighty Joe 2 fits 2 bikes, and so on). The separate holders are nice because each bike is secure. The old one I had didn't have holders so the bikes were all mashed up against each other and would scratch each other if you didn't secure them well enough. I was so terrified that my knots would come untied on the road that I put in surgical knots and couldn't get them untied later.

I would highly recommend checking out REI's SnD sales if you're a member. Their winter sale is also coming back in a few weeks, and you don't have to be a member for that.

Last edited by Nubie; 11-09-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 07:57 AM
Javan
More biking, less flying.

Bikes: Diamondback Citi, GT Timberline, Roady?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have a 2-bike Thule hitching post that I got for about $95. It fits the 1.25" receiver hitch on my subie.
Old 11-09-05, 11:00 AM
foxden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

This is a link to a Swagman Hitch mount carrier. I liike the way it secures the wheels and frame and keeps bikes from moving. Also the price is great, at least $50 less than at our local hitch shop and there is no tax and shipping is free. And the unit folds up so storage is easy, too.
Old 11-09-05, 02:58 PM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using the Thule four-bike hitch mounted rack on my truck. Very solid. I use cheap foam pipe insulation on my top tube to protect it beyond the way the rubber on the rack does. Using a four bike rack is good for keeping two bikes away from one another. It will also carry four bikes when the time comes to do so. Since the window on my cargo door rolls down, I went for the less costly one that does not swing away. I got the rack that comes with a lock that surrounds the hitch bolt, so that it is more secure when being away from the truck while riding. Since I lack a garage, the rack is perfect to use as a mount while chain cleaning and general maintenance.
Old 11-09-05, 04:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
The advantages of a hitch-mounted rack if someone didn't already summarize:

No direct contact with car paint job.
Can get models that swing down to access hatch.
Won't forget bike is up top and smash it into wall above garage door.
Easier access than hoisting bike up top.

I have a model that swings down, but it isn't theft proof. There's a small hole in the end of the pin that locks the rack to the hitch receptacle, and you could probably put a small padlock there to prevent the pin being pulled, but it would have to be such a small lock that it might be easily snapped off, and there's no way to lock the bike to the carrier.
Old 11-09-05, 06:50 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're looking for a car rack. A car rack mounts on a car and caries a bike. A bike rack mounts on a bike and carries panniers.
Old 11-09-05, 10:10 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
You're looking for a car rack. A car rack mounts on a car and caries a bike. A bike rack mounts on a bike and carries panniers.
What do you call the thing that's mounted on pavement and holds your bike outside the office or store?
Old 11-15-05, 09:55 PM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
What do you call the thing that's mounted on pavement and holds your bike outside the office or store?
A parking meter.
Old 11-16-05, 01:24 PM
metomeya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay I've decided on a hitch rack, but is there any good ones that only have room for 2 bikes?

I just don't want it sticking wayyyy out especially since my car is already pretty long.
Old 11-22-05, 05:31 PM
Astroguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can recommend the Performance Flatbed hitch rack. It's what I use, works great, simple to use, and it's built well. Even more, it can accomodate any type of frame, and it's about half the price of any other flatbed type of rack out there.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411
Old 11-22-05, 08:06 PM
foxden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is almost identical to the Swagman available on amazon.com for $50 less. A great deal worth looking at. Folds up and stores away so no one may steal it while you are off riding.
Old 11-23-05, 06:51 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have Saris Bones (they make in 2 and 3, maybe even 4 bike models). It is a normal strap mount to your trunk area type. It's probably the best bike rack you can get of that style.

Now I have a hitch rack. I got the Thule Trailblazer (4-bike model). The hitch racks are going to be more expensive (doubly so if you have to get hitch receiver installed), but they are much, much better in general too.

Thule Trailblazer XT
https://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...id=8&sku=998XT

Thule is probably the best (and biggest) hitch rack company. But Saris and Yakima are really good too. If you get the style (like mine) that hold bikes from bar as they hang down, then make sure there is an anti-sway device and if you want to get into your trunk make sure there is a "swing away" feature.

Another style is the type that holds them from the bottom - wheels clip in. I've heard this was a much better style rack. I heard that SportsWorks was the best brand for this style, but Thule just bought SportsWorks.

Example of this style - Thule Sportworks Transport T2
https://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...d=8&sku=260120

Also, if you get hitch style, I'd recommend 2" over 1 1/4". Bigger is always better....at least stronger and more reliable.