Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How does your saddle feel?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How does your saddle feel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 12:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Another Romin Evo rider here. I had always ridden Selle Italia Flites. My favorite version was the Flite TT (which actually isn't a TT saddle, just a stripped down version of the Ti), but I had literally worn the leather off it. I went to Mike's Bikes, which is a Specialized shop, and asked what was the most Flite-like Spec. saddle. They put me on a Romin. Absolutely hated it for the first 100 miles or so, and then like magic it just sort of disappeared under me. Don't even think about it, it's just that comfortable for me.

As others have said, having the angle right is key. I used a carpenter's level from front to back, which gives you a little pocket.
Old 05-25-16, 01:45 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Rode a hilly century on a $50 eBay all carbon saddle. Surprisingly comfortable.
It's on my main/race bike pretty much all the time.
Do you remember the name (or seller's name) of your saddle? Have been curious about the carbon saddles but have been hesitant to pull the trigger after hearing problems about quality, ripped shorts, etc.
Old 05-25-16, 03:34 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ptempel
Do you remember the name (or seller's name) of your saddle? Have been curious about the carbon saddles but have been hesitant to pull the trigger after hearing problems about quality, ripped shorts, etc.
In a strange turn of events, I didn't actually buy the one I'm using. I bought one, used it for a bit, then took it off. Lent it to a buddy, who bought a similar but different one and wanted to try mine. He broke mine, then gave me his. Now I use his old one. I've been happy with it so far. I'll ask my buddy if he remembers or has the details of his purchase and post here if he does.

Edit: The exact seller doesn't sell them anymore. But this looks almost identical.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycling-Full...item2ee3307da1

Last edited by ancker; 05-26-16 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add link.
Old 05-25-16, 04:29 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can't recall the saddle that is on my RB-1 -- packed away -- Avocet Racing, I think. I was able to set it to a "heavenly" position. When I got my first "modern" bike, it came with a Fizik Arione, which I was able to set to a very comfy position. I tried the Arione CX and did not like it. I now use a Fizik Arione Versus X and like it -- at least 8/10, perhaps 9/10. The notion of custom saddles is brilliant. You'd think someone could establish themselves as a leading expert on it, and probably make a pretty penny.

Last edited by bostongarden; 06-06-16 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-05-16, 10:34 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the arione TT saddle. I ride on the nose a ton, but otherwise don't hate the shape of an arione. Having used a lot of saddles, the best experience I've ever had is a saddle I don't hate.