Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tour of the Gila TT

Old 04-11-17, 09:35 AM
ntxmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour of the Gila TT

Sorry don't know anyone who has done this race so am coming here for some advice. Long story short, I just switched my tt bike to a single chainring yet am a little concerned that I will need a small chainring for this tt due to the climbs. Does anyone have any experience with this tt and will I definitely need a small chainring. I have a 54 as my single. I could also use my wife's tt bike which actually fits me pretty well but is a bit heavier and has double chainring setup. I am not a big guy (148 lb) and really prefer to keep cadence above 75-80 and not have to grind over climbs. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-11-17, 09:46 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I did it years ago as a 3. I recall the climb on the course being legitimate and I needed the little ring for it. I was a pretty crap cat 3 at the time though, and it's at altitude...
Old 04-11-17, 01:37 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't raced it before but I am putting the compact back on my TT bike for this year based on the profile and what friends have told me.
Old 04-11-17, 08:07 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntxmaster
Sorry don't know anyone who has done this race so am coming here for some advice. Long story short, I just switched my tt bike to a single chainring yet am a little concerned that I will need a small chainring for this tt due to the climbs. Does anyone have any experience with this tt and will I definitely need a small chainring. I have a 54 as my single. I could also use my wife's tt bike which actually fits me pretty well but is a bit heavier and has double chainring setup. I am not a big guy (148 lb) and really prefer to keep cadence above 75-80 and not have to grind over climbs. Thanks for any input.

To a degree, gear preference is personal. However, I'd say it is likely you would be unhappy riding that with a single ring setup.

The opening climb is 12, 15' of moderate grade (~3% average -- might click up to 5%), but it often has a bit of headwind.

You then descend, hit some rollers to the turnaround, then some rollers back to the final climb. That last climb is shorter but steeper -- maybe 5, 7' of 5% average. You're likely 30, 35' into the ride at this point.

You finish by descending that initial climb -- now with a tailwind.

You'll spin out of whatever biggest gear you use.

I normally rode it with a 56/44x11-25. You may find yourself <75rpm (your "grinding" threshold) at some point.

Originally Posted by rideaz
I haven't raced it before but I am putting the compact back on my TT bike for this year based on the profile and what friends have told me.
You have to do what you feel comfortable with, but a compact feels like it might be overkill. Will you really need less than 39x28? You will spin out a bit faster with 50x11 vs 53x11 on the big descents, but that won't matter all that much. On the rollers, though, you might want to push 53x12 or so, and that would be a better chainline, too.

The post-TT parking lot conversation is always funny: Lots of "I would have won if I had a 58T ring!"
Old 04-11-17, 08:11 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! I'll put a 58 on for sure ;-)
Good advice Teton! I was thinking more about the climbs than the descents.
Old 04-12-17, 03:30 PM
Tyrell

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've raced it twice - once as a 4, once as a 3. You will want double chainring on the TT for sure. I went in with the plan to not be at risk of spinning out on the final downhill to the finish which is very fast. I used a 56/42 setup which worked pretty well for me.
Old 04-12-17, 05:33 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Cool! I'll put a 58 on for sure ;-)
Good advice Teton! I was thinking more about the climbs than the descents.
no, keep the 53 -- that way you'll have the excuse in your pocket.

the funny part is when you see the grown men complaining about losing by minutes -- then the kid who won the TT will walk up to check results, and he did it on junior gears.
Old 04-13-17, 04:25 PM
ntxmaster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I will use my wife's tt bike (turns out it actually fits me better than mine did so blessing in disguise). She has a 55/39 so should be ok. Hopefully my legs won't already be dead from the first 2 stages.
Old 04-13-17, 05:43 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntxmaster
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I will use my wife's tt bike (turns out it actually fits me better than mine did so blessing in disguise). She has a 55/39 so should be ok. Hopefully my legs won't already be dead from the first 2 stages.
no Mogollon this year, so there is that. that cuts out a non-trivial amount of load in the legs.