Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 10:07 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
What's the big deal about pushing a bike? Bicycle Quarterly recently did a big article on the Japanese passhunters, who often carried their bikes over otherwise-inaccessible mountain passes. Tons of people pushing or carrying bikes there, but nobody gets bent out of shape about it. They're just another one of the roots of mountain biking - less well-known than Gary Fisher repacking down Mt. Tam, but definitely legitimate. This is just another back-to-the-roots thing, like skiers who trade lifts and alpine gear to go skin up a mountain and do telemark turns down it, or car guys who install an unsynchro'd gearbox in an older car instead of buying the latest paddleshift dual clutch thing. It's human nature to do stuff like this.
Old 05-23-20, 10:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
What's the big deal about pushing a bike? It's human nature to do stuff like this.
I approve of this message. Climbing "The Wall" on the North Trask ride 2017;

Old 05-23-20, 10:31 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Bah, you can still push your bike you’re not riding rough enough stuff!

Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-23-20, 10:31 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

pictures never tell the story of how steep or relentless some hills are.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-23-20, 10:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
What's the big deal about pushing a bike?
Because, one day, some elitist somewhere started calling everyone who did so "lazy," "weak," or "cheating," and thus started a trend of peer pressure against the idea of walking a bike up a hill.

Of course, reality was ignored, and those who live in areas without steep grades bought into the BS.

The same machismo nonsense is why some roadies deride C&V'ers who show up on lugged steel, or why in American football, some trainers still put their players' lives in jeopardy after an obvious concussion - a fear of being perceived as weak.

As we see, some folks (*cough* shelbyfv *cough*) still buy into this pile of horse manure.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-23-20, 10:42 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Because, one day, some elitist somewhere started calling everyone who did so "lazy," "weak," or "cheating," and thus started a trend of peer pressure against the idea of walking a bike up a hill.

Of course, reality was ignored, and those who live in areas without steep grades bought into the BS.

The same machismo nonsense is why some roadies deride C&V'ers who show up on lugged steel, or why in American football, some trainers still put their players' lives in jeopardy after an obvious concussion - a fear of being perceived as weak.

As we see, some folks (*cough* shelbyfv *cough*) still buy into this pile of horse manure.

-Kurt
Really?

Read any eroica thread. Count the hundreds of posts endlessly going on about gearing. Do you think a 22 up front and a 36 rear is macho? Harden the **** up is spinning at 5mph?
Old 05-23-20, 11:06 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
(...) I like what I like, you like what you like and it's perfect that way. I'm not right, I'm just me. I have bikes where I bend over, go fast and can't mount bags or racks. Love that. I have bikes where I sit up (North Roads, so comfortable) and schlep 5 bags of groceries. Love that. I don't presume the world cares what I think about Riv or Grant, I intersect with the polarizing Petersen inasmuch as I enjoy riding bikes with high-quality frames, stylish lugs and quality components that provide a performance level and an aesthetic I enjoy.
I get what you're saying, but that's not what I meant. The "box" I live in is Holland (or Europe, if you like), where pretty much everyone rides what Americans would call a Rivendell-style upright bike. Grant Petersen wouldn't get the time of day here. Which is exactly his point, I believe.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-23-20, 11:40 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
waaait a minute...
long chain stays move the center of mass forward, not backward. The shorter the chainstays are, the more you unweight the front wheel, and have to muscle forward to prevent wheelies. That’s why hill-climb motorbike and drag bikes have extended swing arms.

I mean.... ...right?
Yep.

Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-23-20, 12:00 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I get what you're saying, but that's not what I meant. The "box" I live in is Holland (or Europe, if you like), where pretty much everyone rides what Americans would call a Rivendell-style upright bike. Grant Petersen wouldn't get the time of day here. Which is exactly his point, I believe.
I think I understood, although not the details or your location. I enjoy EU market offerings of transport/utlity cycles and wish the US could get it's head out of the sport mentality. Where it does exist it's often as much a stylistic statement as one born of practicality.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 05-23-20, 12:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Wow, some folks seem really defensive about walking up hills. To me it's just one of those things you can rag your riding buddies about and I've been on both ends of it. We have plenty of hills here and almost any organized ride will have a few walkers. I don't think I've ever heard anyone give them a negative comment. That said, learning to climb hills, even at a walking pace, is just part of riding. More about competence than machismo. If someone is walking hills regularly they might need to think about their gearing. BTW, I love steel and C&V and probably will never own a carbon bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-23-20, 12:47 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Because they duplicate the perfectly serviceable city bicycle that they destroyed in the early 1980's, only less adequately. Hybrids exist as manufacturers' responses to people who bought into the 1980s-90s MTB trend and realized that their fancy new active leisure machine was uncomfortable and slow when they used them around the neighborhood.

Just wanted to agree with this. I see so many people riding on the streets here bent over needlessly wide straight bars, struggling to make sense of all the gears they don't need and will never use, often with disk brakes even though they'll probably never go faster than 20mph. It really is idiotic. Of course all those gears and fancy brakes are going to need maintenance and the owners will have no idea how to do it, so I suppose that's more money for bike shops.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 05-23-20, 12:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by iab
Read any eroica thread. Count the hundreds of posts endlessly going on about gearing. Do you think a 22 up front and a 36 rear is macho? Harden the **** up is spinning at 5mph?
There's nothing wrong with gearing that makes it possible to climb up one of these hills, nor does one have to apologize for pushing their rig up either.

The problem is when someone rags on another for choosing either option (or in the case for those who find themselves on terrain their gearing can't match, forced into pushing). Come to Miami where there aren't any hills. Watch every road cyclist talk out of his butt like the Rickenbacker Causeway made him an expert on conquering anything with a grade.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-23-20 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-23-20, 01:03 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
Just wanted to agree with this. I see so many people riding on the streets here bent over needlessly wide straight bars, struggling to make sense of all the gears they don't need and will never use, often with disk brakes even though they'll probably never go faster than 20mph. It really is idiotic. Of course all those gears and fancy brakes are going to need maintenance and the owners will have no idea how to do it, so I suppose that's more money for bike shops.
i rode out to my gfs place of work to ride home with her today. it rained hard and a few blocks before home i had to panic stop with wet rims. Tektro 559s will lock up! Amazing how much i didnt need a modern bike.

Waiting for sarah to get off work.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-23-20, 02:42 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
So do y'all think Riv is a Lifestyle Brand, like Rapha? If so, my townie could check many boxes: 531 frame, chrome Nervex Pro lugs, 8-speed internal gears, longish wheelbase, 35c tires, fenders, North Road Bars, wide sprung Brooks saddle, cork grips, bell, lights, can be pedaled in any shoes with or without SPDs, basket, racks...and it commutes to work with my work stuff in the basket, brings home 4 grocery bags in canvas shopping panniers, gets locked up on city streets while I'm doing my errands, occasionally goes to cool paces like this just for the fun of riding this very enjoyable utility bike built for functionality, comfort and aesthetics.

Maybe I'm actually living the Lifestyle(TM), because I posted a picture of myself riding it home with groceries on Instagram 2 weekends ago and promptly received two inquiries from companies offering "collabs" with their product lines - one clothes, one men's watches.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 05-23-20, 03:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's just wrong to feature a pic of someone pushing a bike up a hill....
Nope; just means they're ambitious.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-23-20, 03:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by ascherer
So do y'all think Riv is a Lifestyle Brand, like Rapha?
Yes. And so is Velo-Orange. And Rene Herse/Compass. And any single framebuilder out there.

Whether they're marketing like so or not, they're selling very niche, high-priced products to individuals - or groups of people - who are looking to experience cycling in an extremely specific manner.

No matter how many euphemisms or perceptions one puts upon a "lifestyle" brand, that is what a lifestyle brand does.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-23-20, 03:28 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Yes. And so is Velo-Orange. And Rene Herse/Compass. And any single framebuilder out there.

Whether they're marketing like so or not, they're selling very niche, high-priced products to individuals - or groups of people - who are looking to experience cycling in an extremely specific manner.

No matter how many euphemisms or perceptions one puts upon a "lifestyle" brand, that is what a lifestyle brand does.

-Kurt
'Eh, that's not quite how most people would explain what a lifestyle brand is about. Advertising and brand image are important parts of the equation, and typically people who are attracted to brands for their philosophy as well as products are doing so consistently, hence creating a "lifestyle" around those brands.

Any good frame builder or bicycle company does not by any means cater to the same sort of people who are out seeking to support and show off the vision of a "lifestyle brand," such as we see with Rivendell.
Old 05-23-20, 03:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
'Eh, that's not quite how most people would explain what a lifestyle brand is about. Advertising and brand image are important parts of the equation, and typically people who are attracted to brands for their philosophy as well as products are doing so consistently, hence creating a "lifestyle" around those brands.

Any good frame builder or bicycle company does not by any means cater to the same sort of people who are out seeking to support and show off the vision of a "lifestyle brand," such as we see with Rivendell.
If you want to talk about the marketing perspective, sure - and you can find all of those elements with VO and RH too. Some framebuilders do the same. The lifestyle might not be identical among each example, but they're promoting specific philosophies none the less.

Grant's just got the OP and others pissed off because he's gone more mainstream.

-Kurt

Old 05-23-20, 04:34 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
There's nothing wrong with gearing that makes it possible to climb up one of these hills, nor does one have to apologize for pushing their rig up either.

The problem is when someone rags on another for choosing either option. Come to Miami where there aren't any hills. Watch every road cyclist talk out of his butt like he knows everything.

-Kurt
I have to say I do get off the bike and push it when needed (by me) and no rider has ever ragged on me for it in my whole life*. Its probably just an internet thing.

*except that one old lady who rode by me asking "are you ok dear?" but she was really just concerned not ragging on me.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 05-23-20, 05:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
waaait a minute...
long chain stays move the center of mass forward, not backward. The shorter the chainstays are, the more you unweight the front wheel, and have to muscle forward to prevent wheelies.
You're right. I was jumbling ideas in my head and somehow produced grammatically-correct rubbish.

I'd maintain the other points, though. Super-reclined fits are cumbersome for steep climbing, and a forward posture on a bike with super-long chainstays poses rear traction issues.

The hill-climb motorcycles you're referencing do use the huge rear-center to keep the weight forward. Although obviously the particular geometry isn't a good analogy to any style of bicycle; they're targeted at astronomically steeper hills than it's feasible to ride a bicycle up (which puts the bike at an angle that would otherwise put the rider's weight extremely rearward to the degree that they'd basically flip over backwards), and they're also not constrained to pedalable postures.

And Q-factor is the width between peddles, it’s affected by chain stays being placed further apart, but not by how long they are. In fact a longer chain stay let’s you put the wide tire further away from the BB, and can improve the Q factor making it narrower.
Yes, that's what I was saying. I was pointing out that it's normal for MTBs to aggressively prioritize short chainstays even when that demands a wider q-factor than a rider might want for pedaling.

Last edited by HTupolev; 05-23-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 10:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
And these crazy frames. Extra double top tubes. .
I never understood that one.
Maybe a double downtube on larger frames.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-24-20, 11:03 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I never understood that one.
Maybe a double downtube on larger frames.
Considering down tubes typically have a larger diameter than top, head, and seat tubes, you'd either end up with mismatching joints or else mismatching down tube sizes. An additional top tube (which has been rather common practice on tall frames more well over a century) negates much of the frame torque associated with the extra seat and head tube length, making the flex more like that of a much smaller frame. In theory it should work, though I'm not quite heavy or tall enough to test it out to any realistic extent. The fact that it's been done so long makes me think it probably works rather than not.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 05-24-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 11:30 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
We are all wannabe Grant Petersons.
Old 05-24-20, 11:30 AM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts

Grant's just got the OP and others pissed off because he's gone more mainstream.

-Kurt
Kurt, as the OP I can assure you I'm not pissed off, nor was this a troll. I genuinely can't understand the oddity of what they transformed into. Maybe I miss their original vintage aesthetic, which I see as slowing dying everywhere and less available to purchase without going custom/ hand built. Guess that's part of being a retrogrouch.

I'd argue that he's not gone more mainstream. We've all been in mainstream bike shops lately and you don't see what he's offering, at least not $3k hybrids. An that's okay, as this is a discussion forum, I was just adding my observations of Riv which nearly a hundred posters have loosely acknowledged.
Likes For uprightbent:
Old 05-24-20, 11:37 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by uprightbent
Kurt, as the OP I can assure you I'm not pissed off, nor was this a troll. I genuinely can't understand the oddity of what they transformed into. Maybe I miss their original vintage aesthetic, which I see as slowing dying everywhere and less available to purchase without going custom/ hand built. Guess that's part of being a retrogrouch.

I'd argue that he's not gone more mainstream. We've all been in mainstream bike shops lately and you don't see what he's offering, at least not $3k hybrids. An that's okay, as this is a discussion forum, I was just adding my observations of Riv which nearly a hundred posters have loosely acknowledged.
Fair enough. I tend to disagree on a few points, but I do respect your viewpoint. I won't go into detail though...no sense in saying what's already been done to death already (and not just in this thread).

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.