Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 rubber hood twists out of place - fix?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-12-21, 01:47 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

My right rubber hood on my 105 shifter keeps working out of the little notches. Pretty clear it's from gripping and twisting when I shift and it slowly works out of place until it stops me from shifting.

I can pull it back into place but it doesn't stay put - should be be glued down somehow? Or am I just not pulling it back into place tightly enough?

Some other solution? It's a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.
Old 07-12-21, 02:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Replace them.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-13-21, 06:30 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
This happened to me with a Shimano Sora hood after I installed new bar tape. After examination, I determined it had wrapped the bar tape too far up on the shifters and this was covering a couple of the cut-outs where the hoods sit. After re-wrapping the bar tape to make sure the cut-outs were not covered, the hoods fit securely and snuggly and the problem went away.
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 07-14-21, 02:12 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Replace them.
Yep, they stretch over time. And, they are inexpensive (or at least used to be).
Old 07-14-21, 08:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
What model 105 shifters are these, 7,8,9,10,11 speed? Are you absolutely certain that the hoods are mounted on all the shifter tabs that hold it in place. Some need to be checked carefully that the rubber is locked into the tabs. Of course, as mentioned, they just could be worn out.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-14-21, 08:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Better buy some extras and keep them in a cool, dry place if you're planning to keep the bike or shifters more than a few years. Shimano will change the design and orphan the spare parts (again).
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-14-21, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Better buy some extras and keep them in a cool, dry place if you're planning to keep the bike or shifters more than a few years. Shimano will change the design and orphan the spare parts (again).
Nonsense! Shimano will keep on producing brake hoods for years!

Just not the ones you need. But the ones you DON'T need, they'll keep making forever.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-21, 06:47 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Replace them.
Anyone know a good place to purchase?
Old 07-18-21, 08:39 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
This happened to me with a Shimano Sora hood after I installed new bar tape. After examination, I determined it had wrapped the bar tape too far up on the shifters and this was covering a couple of the cut-outs where the hoods sit. After re-wrapping the bar tape to make sure the cut-outs were not covered, the hoods fit securely and snuggly and the problem went away.
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
What model 105 shifters are these, 7,8,9,10,11 speed? Are you absolutely certain that the hoods are mounted on all the shifter tabs that hold it in place. Some need to be checked carefully that the rubber is locked into the tabs. Of course, as mentioned, they just could be worn out.
Thanks - I took another look at it seems like the bottom part wasn't hooked tightly around the raised part near where the brifter (11 speed) meets the handlebars. May have been partly bar tape to blame. Pulled it over that and got it snug and that lasted for 50 miles today . . . hopefully it will continue. If not, I'll look to replace.
Likes For drewguy: