Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Ride-shares/Taxis w Bike Racks

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Ride-shares/Taxis w Bike Racks

Old 10-01-15, 05:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
All vehicles should come standard with bike-racks that extend out from the roof frame, imo.
No thank you.
Old 10-01-15, 05:55 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
TP you are going way out on a limb on this one. The manufacturer will charge for everything extra over a bare bones car. Bikes do the same. Add a sun roof or a built in bike rack or a trailer hitch and you will get charged for it.

Chrysler used to charge extra for the car radio as an option. They got hammered for it and so they made them standard, and tacked the price on at the base price. That is just how it works.

No one would be happy to pay for a bike rack that 99 percent of the owners would never use. It would be like making a car free person buy an oil recovery pan in case they ever helped someone change their oil.
Old 10-01-15, 06:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

All vehicles should come standard with bike-racks that extend out from the roof frame, imo.
Incidentally, you'd also have to change the law regarding bicycle racks on vehicles.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-number-plates

Among other things ...

You can be fined if:

• the rack is not removed when the vehicle is being driven without a bike being carried.
Old 10-02-15, 03:02 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would you even use personal information about your mother like this?
Why not?

I don't think your mother needs to buy a bike rack if she won't use it, but I don't think it would hurt her to have one built into a car she buys if it doesn't add significantly to the cost. Many standard items are included on cars that aren't really necessary. Why does everyone need to pay for carpeted floors and ceilings, for example? Why not just leave them bare? Rivets? Why not just spray-coat them? What about having non-upholstered seats made out of flexible plastic? Glove boxes? Why? Molded dash board, consoles, steering wheels, etc.? The price of cars/trucks could be much lower if none of these items were included standard.
The reason unnecessary items are included for everybody is economy of scale. If nearly everybody needs or wants an item it will often be more economical to include it for everyone rather than tool up to make it optional and deal with the impact in terms of administrative overhead, assembly procedures, etc. It's not up to you to tell the world what should be standard on an automobile. Auto makers have been making those decisions for years and years and have all that worked out pretty well including various factors of which you are probably not even aware.
Old 10-02-15, 03:35 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Because the vehicle has various desirable features other than the potential to tow a load.
That's just a fancy way of saying, "because they want to." If desire was a sufficient reason to do anything, then nothing anyone ever wanted to do or have would be unreasonable.

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
TP you are going way out on a limb on this one. The manufacturer will charge for everything extra over a bare bones car. Bikes do the same. Add a sun roof or a built in bike rack or a trailer hitch and you will get charged for it.

Chrysler used to charge extra for the car radio as an option. They got hammered for it and so they made them standard, and tacked the price on at the base price. That is just how it works.
That's another good example of something the comes standard not everyone needs or wants.

No one would be happy to pay for a bike rack that 99 percent of the owners would never use. It would be like making a car free person buy an oil recovery pan in case they ever helped someone change their oil.
An oil pan has no use on a bike whereas a bike does have utility used in tandem with a car.

Originally Posted by Machka
Incidentally, you'd also have to change the law regarding bicycle racks on vehicles.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-number-plates

Among other things ...

You can be fined if:

• the rack is not removed when the vehicle is being driven without a bike being carried.
You didn't read the post where I said that poles could extend and retract from the roof of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Walter S
Why not?
I told you. Because it puts me in the awkward position of retracting my position in order to avoid offending you personally regarding your mother.

The reason unnecessary items are included for everybody is economy of scale. If nearly everybody needs or wants an item it will often be more economical to include it for everyone rather than tool up to make it optional and deal with the impact in terms of administrative overhead, assembly procedures, etc. It's not up to you to tell the world what should be standard on an automobile. Auto makers have been making those decisions for years and years and have all that worked out pretty well including various factors of which you are probably not even aware.
Debating who should or shouldn't have decision-making authority is useless. Anyone can voice any opinion, thought, or idea and any decision maker is free to reason that the idea is good or bad and employ it if it's good. The only reason people resist adopting good ideas, as far as I can tell, is because they get caught up in personal rebellion against others purely because they don't like hearing suggestions. It's like some people can't get enough autonomy so they keep fighting and fighting to silence others so they can make decisions in a vacuum.

All I'm saying is that it would be a good idea to build bike racks into car/truck frames because the roof/chassis already has structural longitudinal beams that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof. That way, instead of having to mount and dismount a bike rack on a trailer hitch or from a luggage rack, etc., the bike rack would only consist of straight poles that extend directly from the body frame. Manufacturers could build these things into all roof frames and then just bury some of them under the roof panel and charge extra to have them accessible for people who don't want to cut holes in their cars' roofs to gain access to the bike rack built into the frame.
Old 10-03-15, 11:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
All I'm saying is that it would be a good idea to build bike racks into car/truck frames because the roof/chassis already has structural longitudinal beams that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof.
Any pictures or drawings of modern cars with "structural longitudinal beams" in the roof/chassis that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof and safely support a bicycle? Or is that feature only found in the props of a movie or screenplay to be released at some date after you become head of design at an automobile manufacturer?
Old 10-04-15, 05:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
All vehicles should also come with "stealth camping kit and a small wood burning stove ".
Seriously, majority of people are not cyclists and have no use for a bike racks. Car manufacturers would also have to charge extra. Re-designing a vehicle frame to have a permanent retractable rack is not as simple and as cheap as you think.
Old 10-04-15, 05:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any pictures or drawings of modern cars with "structural longitudinal beams" in the roof/chassis that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof and safely support a bicycle?
All the drawings, designs and technical info for those racks can be found in TPs imagination.
Old 10-04-15, 07:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
All the drawings, designs and technical info for those racks can be found in TPs imagination.
I doubt if any realistic drawings, designs or technical info about "structural longitudinal beams" in the roof of cars can be found there either.
Old 10-05-15, 09:13 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any pictures or drawings of modern cars with "structural longitudinal beams" in the roof/chassis that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof and safely support a bicycle? Or is that feature only found in the props of a movie or screenplay to be released at some date after you become head of design at an automobile manufacturer?

Look at the roof frame above the doors. Poles could be situated within or alongside those 'beams' in the chassis/frame and extended out so that the ends go just past the trunk. For additional support, other beams could extend upward (or flip upward) from the rear of the vehicle that connect with the ones extending from the roof. Then, you pick up your bike and hang the frame on the parts of the poles extending past the support poles coming up from the trunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chassis.jpg (34.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-05-15, 04:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Look at the roof frame above the doors. Poles could be situated within or alongside those 'beams' in the chassis/frame and extended out so that the ends go just past the trunk. For additional support, other beams could extend upward (or flip upward) from the rear of the vehicle that connect with the ones extending from the roof. Then, you pick up your bike and hang the frame on the parts of the poles extending past the support poles coming up from the trunk.
Have you gone and talked with engineers at a manufacturing company about your idea? Before you continue with speculation, I suggest you do. Find out what is actually possible ... or not.
Old 10-05-15, 07:13 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
Have you gone and talked with engineers at a manufacturing company about your idea? Before you continue with speculation, I suggest you do. Find out what is actually possible ... or not.
Engineers don't have the final say on whether anything is physically or mechanically possible. That's nature. Engineers might reject an idea for business reasons and attribute the rejection to mechanical non-feasibility. You have too much faith in people to be honest, either intellectually, socially, or just with themselves about their motives.
Old 10-05-15, 08:05 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Engineers don't have the final say on whether anything is physically or mechanically possible. That's nature. Engineers might reject an idea for business reasons and attribute the rejection to mechanical non-feasibility. You have too much faith in people to be honest, either intellectually, socially, or just with themselves about their motives.
I think it's more like the bean counters that have the final say mostly...
Old 10-05-15, 08:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 350htrr
That's more like it.

Good engineers will tell you whether or not an idea will work. They'll even get excited about it if they think it's an interesting concept ... even if it is completely unrelated to whatever they're currently working on.

Of course, that's just my experience after spending a lot of years working with engineers.
Old 10-06-15, 07:21 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Forget the engineers and bean counters -- talk with the marketing people...
Old 10-07-15, 09:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
My uncle always said this. He was one of the head bean counters at GM, and he said it with regret. He predicted the bankruptcy of GM long before it happened, and said it would be the fault of the bean counters who didn't listen to the engineers and marketers.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-07-15, 09:47 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
My uncle always said this. He was one of the head bean counters at GM, and he said it with regret. He predicted the bankruptcy of GM long before it happened, and said it would be the fault of the bean counters who didn't listen to the engineers and marketers.
I too predicted the bankruptcy of GM in 1994, after GM took me to court because I refused to pay for them fixing it as I believed it should have been covered by the warranty. I had a 1 year old 1992 diesel truck and the fuel injection died on it, they said it was my fault, water in the fuel.... I came out of the courthouse and the GM guy was parked right next to my new FORD and I said to him as I polished the blue oval, "GM is going to go bankrupt because of people like me who will stop buying GM because of people like you"... And the rest is history...
Old 02-27-21, 04:58 AM
JustinTimber12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't understand why people talk about axi like they are some heavy mover. Taxi service in Rowlett is only for moving from one place to another or you can book it for some professional work. It is not about moving your bike etc.
Old 08-11-21, 08:06 PM
Kingpoo

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who leaves a bike in my car I'd absolutely hate paying for a bike rack I'd never use. I think roof racks would be too tall for many people/vehicles. Also it's too obvious of a target for thieves. What you're describing seems to be a straight rod that pops up and requires another means of securing the bike, . I think the current cargo rack system on most SUVs that allows choice between various racks is the most versatile and appeals to the most customers. My parents just got a hitch bike rack, because they don't have to deal with lifting a bike over their heads with their diminishing strength. Actually now that I think about it many cars have hidden bolt holes to attach roof racks to now a days, and I support those because they give buyers multiple options at the very minimal cost of a few bolt holes and hinged plastic cover...

Last edited by Kingpoo; 08-11-21 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 08:08 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I use a Tern Joe to get around most times. Public transport just barely allows the size of the 27.5 wheels. With car rides in emergencies/bad weather, it can pop right into the trunk without too much fuss (except the economy small cars with tiny trunks). I can't say enough about this bike which I still have. Folding bikes aren't as rigid, but for commuting/touring, they work very well.
Old 08-15-21, 11:23 PM
Steeevo55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Once again, a folding bike is an alternate solution. If a taxi ride is needed or desired, no need that it have a rack, just fold the bike up so it fits in the trunk or with you in the back seat.
That's what I use, can't tell you how many times the rack on the bus had 2 bikes in them and if you have a regular bike the driver won't let you on the bus due to it being too crowded. I picked up a Dahon speed p8 used for 200 put on some schwalbe marathon plus tires and never looked back, there were times even on the train when the racks were full.......I fold up my bike and put it right next to me so far no problems.
Old 09-27-21, 12:30 AM
dallas007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taxi Service in Rowlett

Contact with the best Taxi Service in Rowlett. Dallas Taxi 247 is a well known Taxi/Cab service provider. it is the world popular and the famous company in Dallas, Rowlett, Dalrock and near by areas