Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whats your choice of saddle????

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Whats your choice of saddle????

Old 08-17-06, 04:03 PM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14max
I'm old school and ride the tried/true Selle Italia Flite. I have a Flite Ti on my Litespeed and a Flite Vanadium will be going on my Serotta...
Me too no issues with this saddle and its holding up well. So is my A$$.
Old 08-17-06, 04:05 PM
JohnV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see alot of people of Fizik, Brooks, SLR, but so far no one has mentioned Lance's favorite. The Sell San Marco Concor Light. $59.99 I am in the market for a Saddle as well and I really think the Fizik Aliante will work for me. It's a lot like the saddle on my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA bike. Bontrager Race Lux. But I would love to try the concor light...
-John
Old 08-18-06, 07:07 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnV
I see alot of people of Fizik, Brooks, SLR, but so far no one has mentioned Lance's favorite. The Sell San Marco Concor Light. $59.99 I am in the market for a Saddle as well and I really think the Fizik Aliante will work for me. It's a lot like the saddle on my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA bike. Bontrager Race Lux. But I would love to try the concor light...
-John
I used to ride the Concor Light (after riding S.I. Turbos for a few years) but found the width was slightly too narrow. I tried it again with the Cinelli I'd ordered a few months back and, yep, it was still too narrow for me...
Old 08-18-06, 08:31 AM
DesertRoller

Bikes: 05 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik Arione. Has made me set aside my Brooks research notes. Will probably throw them away soon.
Old 08-18-06, 09:39 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flites.

Always.
Old 08-18-06, 09:50 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I own two Brooks B-17's. I'm a believer that if you own multiple bikes, they should both have the same saddle. That way fitting is much easier.

The thing with Brooks is that they're not all the same (all cows are probably not the same, so that's why). Some are softer out of the box than others. I have one with less than 100 miles on it, and another with over 200 miles on it (I'm a recent convert) and the one with less miles is way softer than the one with more miles on it. And the 200 mile saddle is on my fixie, which is like having 300 on a regular bike.

Still, either Brooks was out of the box more comfortable than any other saddle I've used. The thing is that they are great if you have wide sit bones, and trouble finding a saddle that supports them.

The other thing is that even thought the saddle might seem hard as a rock, when you pedal, it does flex underneath you. I've reached under the saddle while pedaling and noticed that it does move with my legs. That is where it gets its comfort, I believe. No plastic saddle can do that without increasing the amount of cushioning.

If I could replace all the chairs in my house with Brooks saddles, I would.
Old 08-18-06, 11:43 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flites and a Brooks Swift.
Old 08-18-06, 12:26 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone else have any good experiences with their Storika's?
Old 08-18-06, 12:37 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Those rivets look so comfortable.

Flites are the most common pro saddle. Look to guys who spend 6 hrs/day in the saddle.

Anything works for an hour or two.

Old 08-18-06, 04:04 PM
JohnV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HWS
Terry Fly
"'Go drink some coke (or put a patch on your nards), because we're leaving on the first climb, if you want to come along." Floyd Landis, July 20, 2006. HWS, where is this from? I know it's from the Tour, but is there a story attached to the quote? I am dying to know the details.
-John
Old 08-18-06, 07:24 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arione provides me with the most lasting comfort.
Old 08-18-06, 07:59 PM
oneradtec
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Fizik Nisene w/ Ti rails.
It's not a beefy saddle at all. Just enough saddle to support...but makes room for my inner thighs so they don't rub when I'm spinning. I thought, at first, that is was going to be a little stiff...but after 300 miles I have no regrets. I'll probably buy several more to put away just in case it ever gets discontinued. I like it more with every ride.
Old 08-19-06, 04:27 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Idunno445
Someone's bound to mention Brooks saddles... might as well be me.
Nick

Me too. I use the Swift now but want to try a Swallow (the Swift feels just a bit too short, like a woman's saddle). I hate the weight penalty but with a good chamois (so far PI Microsensor/3d Pro is my fave) I think I found the right throne for me.

bottom line for me is match width to your seat bones and get the firmness & profile you like (for me that's 14cm and rock hard w/just a little dip in the SPAB). dial in the height and angle and you're good to go.
Old 08-19-06, 06:50 AM
Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on a Selle Italia Signo and it's because my friend sold it to me. It's a tougher seat compared to a Bontrager Select. I really like the seat but someone mentioned to me I should look into a Selle Italia Flite Trans-am, the one with the cutout. There's an SLR version of it and I'm thinking of getting that one. Unless of course, the SLR is basically the same as the normal version.
Old 08-19-06, 06:56 AM
counterman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Toupe for me. I agree tht the shorts certainly make a difference. This saddle and my pair of Georgiana shorts match up well for me.
Old 08-20-06, 11:57 PM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by counterman
Specialized Toupe for me. I agree tht the shorts certainly make a difference. This saddle and my pair of Georgiana shorts match up well for me.
+1 Although I wonder if it'd be the same without good padding in the shorts. First few times on it I thought it was going to be too hard. Then a while later I realized I never think about it anymore!