Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter compatibility for Sturmey Archer Sprinter hub

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-06-20, 03:43 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi All. Bit of a weird request, but having converted to 8 speed some years ago, I'm moving my Brompton back to the 5 speed Sprinter hub it originally came with. Long story short, I thought the SA 8 speed would be an upgrade and it wasn't.

Trouble is, I'm mislaid the old shifter, and I think I may have bought the wrong one. I've got an SLS 50 shifter, but I think that the more modern 5 speeds have different cable pull requirements for shifting. I can get a shifter that I'm sure will work, but I don't wanna spend more money if what I've got will do the job. Does anyone know?
Old 02-06-20, 06:55 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Here ya go.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shi...-thumbshifter/
Old 02-06-20, 07:11 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Dan - I know that one will work, I just don't want to spend another £15 if the one I have will work. It was your video comparing the ball lock and wide range hubs that made me think I had the wrong part, but the Sprinter is prior to either of those hubs I think, and I can't find any information on which hubs the shifter I bought is right for. My guess is that it's for the wide range type
Old 02-06-20, 11:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Thanks Dan - I know that one will work, I just don't want to spend another £15 if the one I have will work. It was your video comparing the ball lock and wide range hubs that made me think I had the wrong part, but the Sprinter is prior to either of those hubs I think, and I can't find any information on which hubs the shifter I bought is right for. My guess is that it's for the wide range type
The shifter in the link will work with either the Sprinter or the ball lock type. The wide range shifter is not compatible, and neither is the shifter for the new RX model.
Old 02-06-20, 12:11 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, I've got the wrong one then. Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated