Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking For Information on Campy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Looking For Information on Campy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 12:59 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Changing the bearings is easy. Remove the snap ring, pull the bearing, push the new bearing on, replace the snap ring. Takes about 5 minutes to do both sides, 10 if you need to pull the chainset. There are special tools out there to make this easier (I have the Park version) but any bearing puller that fits would work. I've changed the bearings with 2 small screwdrivers, you just need to be a little careful where you pry. The same Park tool will pull the PT arm if you have that version.

As far as finding Campag info, Campagnolo's website is best for the current parts, Branford bike has information on older Campagnolo (although they seem to a shadow of what they once had,) and the Eric Norris's long gone CampyOnly site had hordes of information. The good news is that the Wayback Machine did archive CampyOnly, but I haven't searched it to see how much information they actually archived.
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on getting a bearing puller at some point (Campagnolo specific or otherwise), but haven't had the need for one yet. I also found a lot of old catalogs and parts diagrams on the disraeligears website, which is pretty easy to navigate.
Old 06-10-20, 01:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on getting a bearing puller at some point (Campagnolo specific or otherwise), but haven't had the need for one yet. I also found a lot of old catalogs and parts diagrams on the disraeligears website, which is pretty easy to navigate.
Whether you need to change bearings on an Ultra Torque crank can depend. Just this spring, I installed a new Chorus 11 speed compact crank on one bike to replace a 10 speed Ultra Torque Chorus crank(yes Ultra Torque came out before 11 speed). The bearings on the old crank are still perfect, smooth and without any play on a 10+ year old crank
Old 06-10-20, 08:16 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Whether you need to change bearings on an Ultra Torque crank can depend. Just this spring, I installed a new Chorus 11 speed compact crank on one bike to replace a 10 speed Ultra Torque Chorus crank(yes Ultra Torque came out before 11 speed). The bearings on the old crank are still perfect, smooth and without any play on a 10+ year old crank
Oh, actually I didn't know that Ultra Torque proceeded 11sp. Cool.

On your old cranks, were you periodically flushing and re-greasing the bearings? Did you do a lot of riding in the rain?