Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

maintenance and a bit of tweaking with the gears

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-22-22, 06:27 AM
MHunter91

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a while back i noticed my new bike had issues when downshifting from a lower gear ratio and sometimes even now (my bike has 3 front gears and 7 at the back) when im on my highest at the front most of its smooth but shifting down, sometimes it wouldnt shift till i shifted again then it'd shift all the way down to what i jus put it to, so i went to the place i bought it at and gave it to them, their solution?! lock up my 7th gear!!!! they pulled the shift wire thing i think and made it tighter but also made it so i cant shift to my highest gear, (when im on gear one the shifter is on 2 so when i got to 7 its at 6) i want to try and fix it but want advice first,
also, recently ive noticed that my front wheel is.... loose? kinda, it came loose while i was on the way to a class and i was able to ride it till i got there and then tighten it (it has a crank thing on the wheel so u can adjust it on the go) but recently ive noticed that theres kinda a pop to the tire, when its not in contact with the ground i notice it pops out towards the ground ( not too much but i notice the pop when i move from a pavement to the road, i can feel the wheel going down then popping back in once it makes contact, it might be that i need to oil my front shocks, but i notice it when i take my bike out of my house( i have to carry it out of the front steps cause the gate narrow af) im jus wondering what to check and if there are any possible fixes ( i cant post a pic cause i dont have 10 posts yet)
now finally!!!!! i think my bearing in my pedals are wearing out, cause sometimes when im going at a high gear i feel a pop from the pedals each time i do a full rotation, it feels kinda like a clock, like a tick tock kinda thing, is it my bearing? if so whats a good replacement, i would go to my bike shop, but they might give me another low quality one that wears out fast (each road to my house is an uphill so the bearings go under a lot of stress, so i prolly need something with high durability)
edit: i wasnt able to post cause of the 24 hour limit but i was able to get my rear derauiler model and understand one problem now
its the shimano tourney tz RD-TZ500-GS
they put a 6 speed derauiler on a 7 speed cassette

Last edited by MHunter91; 03-24-22 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-22-22, 07:18 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Each of your problems could have several different solutions. There are too many to propose without knowing anything about the bike.
Old 03-22-22, 07:18 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
It sounds like pretty much all of the bike could use a proper adjustment. Bearings, cable tensions, wheel attachments. Being a fairly new bike one would have hoped that the bike shop that sold it also did a professional job at its assembly and offered a free service as a follow up a few weeks/month after the purchase. What is described isn't that! One thing about these kind of situations is that the OP often doesn't know enough to even assess what is OK and what is a safety concern.

The park Tool Blue Book (seen at their site) and Sheldon Brown's web site are two good sources for learning about how bikes are assembled and serviced. Andy
Old 03-22-22, 07:58 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Front wheel must be firmly attached to the fork, for safety’s sake.
Video about how quick release skewer works. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...LB7gKP4o2oDA15

previously-mentioned Park Tool site full of useful bike maintenance info, too. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...YaAmbUEALw_wcB
Old 03-22-22, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What kind of place did you buy your bike from. The time to get your bike fixed is while it's new and not live with anything not working correctly. If the shop can't make it work, then is this a discount store you bought from that just happens to sell bikes or a bike shop with a real bicycle service department.

I don't have any of the hatred for discount store bikes that others do, but when you buy one, you do need to know how to do all of your on maintenance on them. And they need to be gone over and everything adjusted and checked on day one before riding.

If you bought this from a real bike shop then just keep taking it back and have them put the bike in the shape it should have been when you bought it. If they can't do that you might just have to go to another shop and pay for them to make it work correctly. Though you might want to let the manufacturer of that bike know that they have a seller of their bikes that doesn't know how to make them work correctly.
Old 03-22-22, 09:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
"New" or "New to you"?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-24-22, 08:33 AM
MHunter91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
funny thing is its one of the best for bikes in my country, they even sell giant bikes and service bikes from other countries, but ig they tried to scam me or something
Old 03-24-22, 08:34 AM
MHunter91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
"New" or "New to you"?
new, i got it brand new for 56k lkr