Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim internal width 19mm, which size rim tape?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-15-22, 02:31 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

As per title, which size rim tape do I need to get ? Do I need to get something longer than 19 or shorter ?
Old 05-15-22, 06:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
You want the tape wide enough to fully cover the spoke holes, but not so wide that it interferes with mounting the tires.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-15-22, 07:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Are we to assume a tubed type set up? If so than John's answer is right. Andy
Old 05-15-22, 09:05 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by ev0lutionz
as per title, which size rim tape do i need to get ? Do i need to get something longer wider than 19 or shorter narrower?
ftfy.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-15-22, 11:17 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
FFWD specifies 25 mm wide rim tape for the 622 x 19C wheels I recently bought. As far as I know, rim tape must be wide enough to be completely pressed into the center channel and reach the side walls.
Old 05-15-22, 01:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
FFWD specifies 25 mm wide rim tape for the 622 x 19C wheels I recently bought. As far as I know, rim tape must be wide enough to be completely pressed into the center channel and reach the side walls.
You forgot to specify "for tubeless set ups". When using a tubed system one rarely wants the rim tape under the tire's bead. Andy
Old 05-15-22, 01:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You forgot to specify "for tubeless set ups". When using a tubed system one rarely wants the rim tape under the tire's bead. Andy
FFWD states: Use of 25mm tubeless rim tape is required regardless of standard or tubeless setup.

I was merely describing what I saw with my new wheels, that the rim tape is just wide enough to be applied into the center channel and still reach (but do not go up) the sidewalls. So it does not look like any rim tape would sit between the tire bead and the sidewalls of the rim.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-15-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 02:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Why?

In my experience, one nearly always wants rim tape under the tire's bead. Most rims are dimensioned for it, and can suffer from sloppy tire fitment otherwise. Tape that only covers the middle can also be prone to lateral crawl; I've been in situations where a rim had to have its tape re-set when repairing a flat, which isn't a huge deal, but it's an easily-avoidable annoyance.

The main situations that come to mind where tape should be excluded from the bead seat shoulder are if you're using single-wall rims (where the tape is intended to be well-contained by a steep-sided center channel) and some rims with no spoke access holes in the tire seating bed (if they're intended to be used with no tape at all).
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-15-22, 02:43 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Add about 2 mm to the spec inner width, so the tape snugs up against the wall without climbing it.

Lately I've been using tubeless rim tape, two wraps for my high pressure tires. Works great, and makes tire removal easier.
Old 05-17-22, 08:10 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I would add 4mm to the inner (hooked) width. So a 19mm rim would need a 23mm tape. You can probably get away with +/- 1mm. The advantage of wall to wall tape for TL is obvious, but it helps with tubes as well because it means the tape is way less likely to get damaged from removing/installing tires.
Old 05-17-22, 08:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
For tubed tires I'm with JohnDThompson--I use rim tape just wide enough to cover the spoke holes--nothing more. Velox is the tape I prefer.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-17-22, 12:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Why? In my experience, one nearly always wants rim tape under the tire's bead. Most rims are dimensioned for it, and can suffer from sloppy tire fitment otherwise..
Tape that extends to both walls of the rim...especially thick tape like Velox...increases the effective bead seat diameter of the rims and most rims I own definitely don't need more in this area -- the tires seat pretty "firmly" on their own! My experience is apparently not universal, but I specifically avoid the bead seat area when fitting rim tape. Not directly related to the original question, but I've gone to using the very thin mylar type adhesive tapes and I do two wraps, covering the spoke holes (of double wall rims) only. I do use Velox with single wall rims, where the spoke nipple ends must be contended with and where the rim has a clear channel for the tape, avoiding walking up the side.

I will say that I'm sure the very thin mylar/tubeless type rim tapes don't increase the bead seat diameter appreciably...my practice of avoiding the bead seat area comes from when I used to use Velox on everything.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 05-17-22 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-17-22, 12:59 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Tape that extends to both walls of the rim...especially thick tape like Velox...increases the effective bead seat diameter of the rims and most rims I own definitely don't need more in this area -- the tires seat pretty "firmly" on their own!
That's contrary to my experience. The issue is even seating: the symptom of loose bead seat fit is that it's harder to get tires to mount without twists or hops.

my practice of avoiding the bead seat area comes from when I used to use Velox on everything.
On rims of what type and age? Using cotton tape wall-to-wall can prevent tires from seating on modern rims that were designed with thinner tubeless tape in mind. But that's a poorly-behaved solution, it's far better to just use a correct tape.

On older non-tubeless double-wall rims that were designed for use with cotton tape, a wall-to-wall wrap of cotton tape usually works great. Actually, cotton tape can be more convenient with these rims than tubeless tape, because it can take multiple wraps of tubeless tape to achieve sufficient bead seat shoulder height. The Rhyno Lite rims on my gravel bike have either 3 or 4 layers of tape (can't remember), because any less and the tires simply would not mount without a bit of ripple, no matter how much I massaged them or tried to snap them in place with high pressure; cotton would have been an easier solution.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-17-22, 06:51 PM
hokiefyd 

I have a set of double wall Trek Matrix rims from the '90s that are my most difficult to mount tires to. I presumed that it's because they're just a slight smidge larger than my other rims (in terms of bead seat diameter), and the tire doesn't seat evenly around the circumference without a lot of coaxing. I have other rims where the tire seems to simply mount itself...and airs up straight the first time without a lot of air pressure.

The same tires I had trouble mounting before seem to mount easier since I removed the old Velox (which did wrap up towards the rim wall) and replace it with mylar/tubeless rim tape. I chalked this up to reducing the rim diameter as much as I could (especially down in the spoke valley) by using thinner rim tape. My experience is apparently not universal. Studying the theory of what should and should not work best, regardless of anyone's lived experience, is pretty interesting to me.
Old 05-17-22, 06:56 PM
hokiefyd 

Thinking more about what you're saying HTupolev I see what you're saying -- tires that mount with a hop or sag aren't non-uniform because the bead isn't getting up on the bead seat area itself...they're non-uniform because the bead isn't coaxed to "sit up tall" against the rim hook -- and this is where the extra thickness of something like Velox should help? Interesting... Maybe I need to re-examine what I thought I've learned over the years.
Old 05-17-22, 07:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
As per title, which size rim tape do I need to get ? Do I need to get something longer than 19 or shorter ?
What rims do you have? Without knowing the type, we'll just keep chasing our tails in here.

It's too bad more (non-tubeless) rims weren't made like these Araya 20As. They're double-walled rims, with a shallow 10mm channel for the rim tape. The tape stays put and doesn't interfere with the mounting of the tires at all. They're a joy to use.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-13-22, 03:53 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
bumping this up so what size Velox tape would be best on this wheel, 16mm or 22mm? tube type 18.6mm inner width. my gut says 16mm but brain says 22mm.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Old 09-14-22, 06:21 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
bumping this up so what size Velox tape would be best on this wheel, 16mm or 22mm? tube type 18.6mm inner width. my gut says 16mm but brain says 22mm.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Did you read anything in this thread? We can't tell you how to do everything. Everyone has different opinions. I run my tape as narrow as possible-just enough to cover the spoke heads and rivets. Others run their tape up the sidewall, for reasons known only to them. What do YOU prefer? Will 16mm tape cover the spoke holes/rivets? I can't see your rim, so I don't know. If it does, that's what I would run. What you do is your choice.
Old 09-14-22, 07:56 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Ask Velocity. Most mfrs have a recommended size for their rims and would make the choice simple.
Old 09-14-22, 08:06 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Ask Velocity. Most mfrs have a recommended size for their rims and would make the choice simple.
already tried that.....crickets....that is why I asked here.
Old 09-14-22, 08:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
ftfy.
Originally Posted by jadmt
already tried that.....crickets....that is why I asked here.
Velocity offers two widths of Velotape and lists the rims each is suitable for on their website.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...ries/velotape1
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 09-14-22, 08:52 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Velocity offers two widths of Velotape and lists the rims each is suitable for on their website.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...ries/velotape1
thank you
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-14-22, 10:45 PM
jadmt

Velocity got back to me and recommended 18-20mm wide tape.
Likes For jadmt: