Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice on improving brake performance?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-24-22, 09:53 AM
Cnguyen323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have a new Poseidon X gravel bike. It’s currently slated to get compressionless housing to improve the performance of the tektro mech brakes.

I was wondering whether or not it’s significant to replace the section of cable under the bar tape?

and also would it be better to just upgrade the rotor size from 160->180? Both of these options seem like good bang/buck upgrades.

I mostly ride pavement and flat gravel/smooth mtb trails. I’m also a bigger guy (250lbs) which makes brake performance more important I assume.
Old 05-24-22, 10:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Can you fit larger rotors? If these are flat mount calipers, I believe 160mm is the largest they will accept. As to compressionless brake housing, yes it will improve braking and I would replace all of the older housing with it. If you remove the bar tape carefully you should be able to reuse it after the housing change.
Old 05-24-22, 12:14 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
Agree with HillRider. Compressionless brake housing is an amazing upgrade. It significantly improved the responsiveness of my road bike brakes.
Old 05-24-22, 12:46 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Absolutely replace all housing with compression less. It makes no sense to replace only some of the housing. I do not know what Tektro calipers you have, but it is quite likely that 180 rotors will not fit. Maybe someone will chime in with that info, but you should be able to find that with a google search.
Old 05-24-22, 02:35 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Right. Thank you guys. Spoke to the LBS and they echoed y’all’s advice. Will definitely replace the entirety of the housing.

If that doesn’t give me the braking power I need, I’ll see if upsizing rotors is possible. I suspect it’ll be plenty of power for my riding style though.

thank you all!
Old 05-24-22, 02:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Like I say every time, get good cables and housing ideally Jagwire Elite or Pro. get good pads ideally SwissStop or KoolStop and in your case good rotors (Shimano Ice Tech, Magura...)since they are disc brakes. If you have the ability to fit larger rotors certainly go for it but don't exceed spec of the frame and know you might need an adaptor. If you find the braking still poorer you might consider good hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 05-24-22, 08:12 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Compressionless won't really raise your brake power. But it'll make the feel at the levers a lot nicer. As in firmer with very little give as you squeeze harder.

Since you're using cable brakes I'll assume that the caliper itself has one fixed (but adjustable) and one movable pad. When I was using cable discs I found that stopping power was raised strongly when the fixed but adjustable pad was set up to run as close as possible to the rotor. This means fairly frequent tuning but it makes a huge difference. When set up really nicely you can get almost hydro brake like power from your braking effort.

The why of it is that when the fixed pad is running too far away the movable pad has to use up some power just to flex the rotor over to pinch it against the fixed pad. And when it flexes like that it only touches on the outer edge while the movable pad only touches on the inner edge. Then as you squeeze harder you flex the rotor more and more until it's has an "S" bend in it with the pads in full contact. But it takes a fair bit of your effort to do that flexing. And that's effort which isn't going towards stopping. So the closer you can get the fixed pad to the rotor the less power needed to let the rotor flex to full contact.

If all this sounds like a lot of fussing with the brakes? Yep, it is. But after a few times and some initial tuning to tweak the rotor so it runs super true it's pretty quick to do.

And when you match up a nicely set caliper AND the compressionless housing you'll really smile at how well the brakes do work.
Old 05-24-22, 08:44 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Compressionless won't really raise your brake power. But it'll make the feel at the levers a lot nicer. As in firmer with very little give as you squeeze harder.

Since you're using cable brakes I'll assume that the caliper itself has one fixed (but adjustable) and one movable pad. When I was using cable discs I found that stopping power was raised strongly when the fixed but adjustable pad was set up to run as close as possible to the rotor. This means fairly frequent tuning but it makes a huge difference. When set up really nicely you can get almost hydro brake like power from your braking effort.

The why of it is that when the fixed pad is running too far away the movable pad has to use up some power just to flex the rotor over to pinch it against the fixed pad. And when it flexes like that it only touches on the outer edge while the movable pad only touches on the inner edge. Then as you squeeze harder you flex the rotor more and more until it's has an "S" bend in it with the pads in full contact. But it takes a fair bit of your effort to do that flexing. And that's effort which isn't going towards stopping. So the closer you can get the fixed pad to the rotor the less power needed to let the rotor flex to full contact.

If all this sounds like a lot of fussing with the brakes? Yep, it is. But after a few times and some initial tuning to tweak the rotor so it runs super true it's pretty quick to do.

And when you match up a nicely set caliper AND the compressionless housing you'll really smile at how well the brakes do work.
thank you! I will keep this in mind. I’m sure it heavily varies with riding style, but how often did you find yourself adjusting the fixed pad? (Every X miles?)
Old 05-24-22, 11:51 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
If you haven't already, you'll also get more absolute power with metallic compound pads than resin, at the expense of possibly more noise and less progressive modulation.
Old 05-25-22, 05:39 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Do you clean the pads and rotors as part of normal maintenance?
If not the pads get covered in dust, etc. which reduces performance.
I spray a water/alcohol mix on a clean cloth, folded in half, and draw the damp, folded cloth back and forth between the pads. I repeat until the cloth is clean after running between the pads. I do the same to the rotors.
I do this every couple of weeks or so when performing normal maintenance...cleaning and lubing chain, etc.
Old 05-25-22, 06:32 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

That's correct but the improvement in feel and a solid, firm lever make it well worth the slight extra cost.

....you're using cable brakes I'll assume that the caliper itself has one fixed (but adjustable) and one movable pad. When I was using cable discs I found that stopping power was raised strongly when the fixed but adjustable pad was set up to run as close as possible to the rotor. This means fairly frequent tuning but it makes a huge difference. When set up really nicely you can get almost hydro brake like power from your braking effort.
The OP is using Tektro mechanicals which, I believe, are like my TRP Spyres. These have clearance adjustments for both pads and both move equally when the brakes are applied. That makes setting them up symmetrically quite easy and frequent adjustments aren't necessary.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-25-22, 02:47 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
That's correct but the improvement in feel and a solid, firm lever make it well worth the slight extra cost.

The OP is using Tektro mechanicals which, I believe, are like my TRP Spyres. These have clearance adjustments for both pads and both move equally when the brakes are applied. That makes setting them up symmetrically quite easy and frequent adjustments aren't necessary.
i believe there is actually 1 fixed pad and one moving. Single piston tektro mechanicals. I wish they were the type you have .
Old 05-25-22, 02:49 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Do you clean the pads and rotors as part of normal maintenance?
If not the pads get covered in dust, etc. which reduces performance.
I spray a water/alcohol mix on a clean cloth, folded in half, and draw the damp, folded cloth back and forth between the pads. I repeat until the cloth is clean after running between the pads. I do the same to the rotors.
I do this every couple of weeks or so when performing normal maintenance...cleaning and lubing chain, etc.
this is really my first time owning a bike long term. Learning how, what, and when to do maintenance. That’s good information I will keep in mind. I should be lubing my chain after every ride right? And less often for brakes as you said?
Old 05-25-22, 02:59 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnguyen323
this is really my first time owning a bike long term. Learning how, what, and when to do maintenance. That’s good information I will keep in mind. I should be lubing my chain after every ride right? And less often for brakes as you said?
You should not be lubing your chain after every ride. Excess chain lubing promotes accumulation of road grit, which works its way into the chain innards, promoting wear. If you want to do something to your chain after rides, wipe the chain with a clean cloth or equivalent to remove surface grit and excess oil.
Old 05-25-22, 04:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Go ride some old bikes with single pivot brakes and chromed steel rims. Then you'll have a better appreciation for just how good your current brakes really are.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-25-22, 07:47 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
NO !
It really depends on a variety of things including ride surface...dusty, dirty, wet, etc...means likely more often than normal.
I clean and lube my chain every two weeks...I ride approx 200+ miles per week.
It is as important to clean your chain as it is to lube it.
Just search YouTube for tons of videos on how to clean and lube, as well as general maintenance, for a bike.
Good luck
Old 05-26-22, 07:36 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
In addition to the compressionless housing you can also upgrade the calipers to cable actuated hydraulic like Juin Tech F1.
I upgraded TRP Spyres to Juin Tech R1 (R1 for IS/post mount, you will need F1 for flat mount for your bike), the difference is huge.

There was a recent video on cable actuated disc brakes:
Yokozuna Motoko that he mentions is a rebrand of Juin Tech.

There is also Yokozuna Ultimo/Juin Tech GT-F, but it is twice the price of Juin Tech F1.
Old 05-26-22, 08:10 AM
HillRider

Interesting video. Of course, he only evaluated the brakes he actually owns and has used, but there are two obvious omissions, TRP Spyres and TRP HY/RD cable/hydraulic.

I'm pleased with my Spyres. They aren't "power brakes" as hydraulics are sometimes described but they work well, are quiet and require no more hand effort than good double pivot calipers with Kool Stop Salmon pads.
Old 05-26-22, 09:50 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Those are cheap brakes with one pad moving. Nothing will help as much as getting TRP cable Spyres on one wheel at least. Doing both will be 1/3 the cost of that bike. I have one on my Rohloff14 IGH. It stops instantly any time, can't beat that. IMO, resin pads are the reason it grabs tight so well. It has 4,600 miles so far, ZERO squeaks. My front wheel is an awesome SA dyno DRUM brake, done 28,000 miles. Finicky hydro is NOT needed.
Old 05-26-22, 12:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Those are cheap brakes with one pad moving. Nothing will help as much as getting TRP cable Spyres on one wheel at least. Doing both will be 1/3 the cost of that bike. I have one on my Rohloff14 IGH. It stops instantly any time, can't beat that. IMO, resin pads are the reason it grabs tight so well. It has 4,600 miles so far, ZERO squeaks. My front wheel is an awesome SA dyno DRUM brake, done 28,000 miles. Finicky hydro is NOT needed.
TRP Spyres are great I have them on my touring bike but hydraulic brakes are not finicky. That is just poppycock. Maybe some older stuff or SRAM stuff might have some issues but I haven't done a thing to my Magura brakes or my XT 4 pots (aside from pads and a rotor but those are normal wear items) and we rarely deal with hydraulic issues at the shop at least nothing really finicky.
Old 05-26-22, 11:08 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
So nothing happens when you hang a hydro bike upside down for a month??
Old 05-27-22, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by veganbikes
TRP Spyres are great I have them on my touring bike but hydraulic brakes are not finicky. That is just poppycock.
I don't know if "finicky" is the right term but based on the number of threads here reporting problems with hydraulic brakes set-up, installation and maintenance difficulties, it's clear they aren't all that straightforward. It's like electronic shifting, they are great when they work right but frustrating when they don't and more expensive in any case.
Old 05-27-22, 07:51 AM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
NO !
It really depends on a variety of things including ride surface...dusty, dirty, wet, etc...means likely more often than normal.
I clean and lube my chain every two weeks...I ride approx 200+ miles per week.
It is as important to clean your chain as it is to lube it.
Just search YouTube for tons of videos on how to clean and lube, as well as general maintenance, for a bike.
Good luck
will do. Thank you! My surface is usually pretty dry but I live in a humid area. I’m only riding 50-100 miles a week. Though making the switch from riding an MTB to a more road capable gravel bike may increase that.
Old 05-27-22, 11:36 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
i believe there is actually 1 fixed pad and one moving. Single piston tektro mechanicals. I wish they were the type you have .
According to the specs you have Tektro MD-C510. The dual piston model is MD-C550.

Originally Posted by HillRider
Interesting video. Of course, he only evaluated the brakes he actually owns and has used, but there are two obvious omissions, TRP Spyres and TRP HY/RD cable/hydraulic.

I'm pleased with my Spyres. They aren't "power brakes" as hydraulics are sometimes described but they work well, are quiet and require no more hand effort than good double pivot calipers with Kool Stop Salmon pads.
I had TRP Spyres for a long time, I agree that they are very good brakes. Then people recommended Juin Tech in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...ngly-good.html
My experiences after the upgrade: definitely worth it, https://www.bikeforums.net/22150966-post50.html
The OP also has QR wheels, hydraulic system will better adjust to it. If the wheel is slightly off one of the pistons will just extend further.
I went with Juin Tech instead of the HY/RD because of the shorter level throw.
Of course there is price difference, a pair of MD-C550's will be $90-100 and Juin Tech F1's are $170-200 for a pair.
Old 05-27-22, 02:13 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'll never understand how people have so many problems with hydraulic dics brakes. I've never had an issue in over a decade of using them.

Now on to the point. Cable discs can be plenty powerful!. Everyone mentioned the housing which is upgrade one IMO, Next is pads. I don't care what anyone says, resin pads are crap ESPECIALLY OEM fitted on lower cost brakes. Now i'm hoping there was no realization that you cant get a metallic pad for your caliper that i missed in this thread. Assuming not, get metallic pads. I've ran cheap rotors and XTR rotors, aside from weight I don't notice a difference, probably would on an extended downhill where the heat dissipation can really come into play. If that's something you intend to encounter then by all means get fancy rotors. Bigger is better with rotors. but keep it within reason, again based on descending time,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.