Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best place to ride in the world?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 09:59 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As retirement begins to creep over the horizon, I find myself more and more day-dreaming about the ultimate bike holiday, where I can ride all day on picturesque paved roads with little traffic (or at least traffic that doesn't try to run me over). Some place where the people are friendly, food is good, and the weather is warm and sunny (sounds like Heaven, as I watch the snow fall outside). Realistically, some place where I can do 100 - 200 km rides, and don't have to carry lots of gear, food or water. If it was someplace far away, I'd want to be able to do a number rides out of the same location to justify the time and expense of getting there.

I'm sure that there's people on the forum that can point me in the right direction, maybe even fine-tune my spec list for the best place to ride in the world.
Old 01-19-06, 10:09 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'd recommend the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (The BQE), but wait until 3AM on a weeknight to avoid traffic. And watch for drunk drivers going 110mph.
Old 01-19-06, 10:15 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Alpha Centauri.

I've been all over Europe and I think that southern Spain has the best overall weather, food, roads, and people.

And you can easily travel to southern France, Italy, Switzerland, etc from there.

Az
Old 01-19-06, 10:15 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It's not too hard to narrow things down, you got either USA, Canada, or Europe. It's all based on opinions but obviously you'd want something with beautiful surroundings and not alot of population. In the US I would have to go with the Colorado/Utah area, Central California, Sonoma (Wine Country) California, Northern California/Oregon.

You want to ride year round, go with California.

For the parts of Europe I've been to I'd say you can't go wrong with either France or Wales.
Old 01-19-06, 10:22 PM
Russ9000
Onya bike lad!!

Bikes: an old Jack walsh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The middle of Australia is the place your looking for...Just a bit warm in summer but lots of very long flat roads with little or no trafic and us Aussies are always friendly
Old 01-19-06, 10:46 PM
Litespeed35
I go both ways

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Tuscany; 1996 Prototype Aluminum / MTB: 2005 SC Superlight, 1994 Trek 970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
French Alps - tons of cyclists, and the people are (relatively) friendly. Better, the local drivers actually understand the concept of sharing the road, and the climb to Col du Glandon is amazingly pretty.
Old 01-19-06, 10:51 PM
climbo

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
It's not too hard to narrow things down, you got either USA, Canada, or Europe. It's all based on opinions but obviously you'd want something with beautiful surroundings and not alot of population. In the US I would have to go with the Colorado/Utah area, Central California, Sonoma (Wine Country) California, Northern California/Oregon.

You want to ride year round, go with California.

For the parts of Europe I've been to I'd say you can't go wrong with either France or Wales.
Wales ain't in Europe !!

Basically, you forgot Australia and New Zealand as 2 of the best places on Earth to ride and to visit.
Old 01-19-06, 11:10 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you're thinking about now, the san francisco bay area is a great place to ride, but weather is touch and go...it rained on wednesday and saturday. but in addition to great places to ride, there is lots of great food, lots of things to do, and lots of great places to visit.
Old 01-19-06, 11:13 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ9000
and us Aussies are always friendly
Not from a few of the younger members I have seen in here

― Bruce Lee
Old 01-19-06, 11:16 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. I'm a little biased but come here in the spring, summer, or fall and the beauty will amaze you.
Old 01-19-06, 11:29 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I lived in L.A., I always wanted to cycle the Northwest. Now that I live here, I can say I'm glad I did.

55/Rad
Old 01-19-06, 11:35 PM
formula4
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike the world!
Old 01-19-06, 11:38 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The area around Jackson Hole is one of the most beautiful places in the world in July. Unfortunately, it has gotten pretty crowded and very expensive.
Old 01-19-06, 11:58 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
We did an early retirement.. had thought California to be tremendous cycling. and it is. But now we are in Roussillon department of France. hills , plains, valleys, mountains, coastal rides. rural roads through vineyards, orchards. total respect by motorists, even a little awe. Roussillon. a cyclists heaven.
Old 01-19-06, 11:58 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say here ...
Old 01-20-06, 12:06 AM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lake District of Chile. It is a very large plain between the two mountain ranges. Mostly paved roads with very little traffic. You can rent a nice home for about 400$ a month. Temp is never over 27C and it does not drop below freezing.
Old 01-20-06, 12:13 AM
adxm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleFreakLS
I'd say here ...
Maui is totally awesome (and the go cycling maui folks are great..).. but they do have some horrendous winds, and the ride possibilities are limited (although having a 10k ft climb in your backyard is pretty cool). You gotta go with California for the year around excellent cycling. Bay Area or North Bay specifically. Not so stellar down here in San Diego..
Old 01-20-06, 12:43 AM
sbornia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bccycleguy
Realistically, some place where I can do 100 - 200 km rides, and don't have to carry lots of gear, food or water. If it was someplace far away, I'd want to be able to do a number rides out of the same location to justify the time and expense of getting there.
A decade ago, I lived in Italy for a few years (working for Ritchey, can you say "dream job"?) so will recommend a few great places there. What I really love about cycling in Italy is that just about every town has a fountain or two, so you can fill up your bottles easily. Drivers are respectful, and people are cyclist-friendly so you won't get harassed when you stop for a coffee mid-ride.

Here are some places to consider:

1. Lake Como. Stay along the eastern shore (Varenna is a nice town) and you'll have your choice of flat rides around the lake, or more mountain loops than you dreamed possible. The Madonna del Ghisallo cycling monument is nearby in Bellagio. You can also hit some of the great passes into Switzerland from here.

2. Tuscany. Pick a smaller town, say near Siena, and ride a different route every day for a week or two. Lots of rollers. Mid-April through May, then September-October are best times of year there. June-August is brutally humid, and packed with tourists. (Also consider doing Andy Hampsten's Cinghiale tour if you want terrific rides and one-of-a-kind Tour stories.)

3. The Veneto. My most recent trip was to the area near Bassano del Grappa, and I have to say, it's pretty spectacular. Flat valley rides, wine country routes, and, best of all, mountain climbs with hardly any traffic. Classic rides include climbing Monte Grappa (27km up), and the Croce d'Aune pass where Tulio Campagnolo brainstormed the quick release. Learn more on this excellent site: https://www.biciveneto.it/intro.htm

Beyond Italy I'd highly recommend the Basque Country in Spain -- stay in the captial of Vittoria, ride really quiet roads, and eat tapas every night.

Enjoy!
Steven
Old 01-20-06, 12:45 AM
Pontyboy

Bikes: Bianchi Carbon XL, Gazelle, Breezer Sky MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbo
Wales ain't in Europe !!

Basically, you forgot Australia and New Zealand as 2 of the best places on Earth to ride and to visit.
Wales was in Europe the last time I was there!!!
Old 01-20-06, 04:00 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by AppStateEvan
Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. I'm a little biased but come here in the spring, summer, or fall and the beauty will amaze you.
So will the kudzu. You do have a point though, very pretty country.
Old 01-20-06, 04:15 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wales ain't in Europe !!
What?

Anyway - I'd recommend the French Alps and Provence. Good mix of flat and hilly.
Old 01-20-06, 05:46 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=climbo]Wales ain't in Europe !!

QUOTE]

Really? Did it suddenly float away from the UK and end up in the tropics?

Europe is not just the continent...Rep of Ireland, UK, Iceland, Greenland to name a few are all in Europe.
Old 01-20-06, 06:54 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best place..............excuse me ladies. The best place would be where beautiful naked women would line the road and hand me refreshments and towel me off when done. Back to reality!
Old 01-20-06, 07:21 AM
rjtokyo
Just ride :-D

Bikes: Anchor RFX-8, Pedal Force QS-2, Bertoni Nuovitalia, Performance X-203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey bccycleguy- Cycling paradise daydreams- I like that . Here's one of my favorite places to ride:

Mt. Fuji and the surrounding mountains. The pic is of White Thread Falls on a 117 km route encircling Mt. Fuji. Then all the mountain rides in the Japan Alps just to the west and you can do lots of 100 - 200 km rides with good places to eat, hot springs, etc. What do you think???

- RJ
Old 01-20-06, 08:06 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
curiosity point about Maui.. we are Maui lovers. considered living there, if possible. but, sort of a circular repeat of one repeat ride over and over? but, the scenery! my question. how about the ride to Hana. pretty narrow and twisty in the car? noticed the Maui tour group did not go all the way to Hana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.