Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What battery do I need for this?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 09:50 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a flashlight that I bought in error from Dealextreme 2 years or so ago. I meant to order an AA flashlight, but got the wrong option, and ended up with something that needed different batteries. Since it was only $15 or $20, I decided it wasn't worth shipping it back, and just ordered what I really wanted (the mistake was definitely mine, btw). At the time, i thought I'd ordered a light for 14500 batteries, and since I didn't want to buy a new charger, I never ordered any. However, this week, I ordered some 14500s for another purpose, and discovered they don't fit. They are too narrow, and whilst one is too short, two is too long (same story for AAs). 186500 (which I have for a P7 I bought later) look about the right length, but are too fat. It says on the side of the light "3.6v x 2". What do you think I need?
Old 10-12-10, 09:51 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Incidentally, the 14500s shouldn't go to waste, since they should work in the 1 x AA light I've ordered to use as a helmet light.
Old 10-12-10, 10:37 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2xCR123A lithium ion at 3.6v each?

Here is a list of battery size
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...edirected=true
Old 10-12-10, 11:24 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Blimey, I hope not. If that's the case, it'll never get used! Those chaps are expensive.
Old 10-12-10, 11:36 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
If it is CR123, you can get low cost house brand versions here: https://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm

I have used these with no issues.

I know a rechargeable is made in that size, but would need to do some digging to find it.
Old 10-12-10, 09:03 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmm. I'm certainly not about to start using primary cells. The only reason I even got this thing out is that somehow, over the summer, 4 (count 'em, 4!) AA led lights have managed to go missing on camping trips. However, it would be cheaper for me to simply buy another AA light than to start buying primary cells for this one.
Old 10-12-10, 10:19 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
would make a good emergency light for the car, the big advantage of cr123 primaries is that they have a super long shelf life, 7-10 years..

You can find some decent ones on ebay for about 1.00 each..