Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Before and after and then way after thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 06:11 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So here's a story of a bike in my collection that i got, it started me on this bike craze of C&V addiction.

The story was i originally bought this bike for my brother he started riding again and i wasn't on a bike at the time, i rushed out about 40 mins to get it, not knowing anything really about pinarello at the time, i just knew by looking at the sellers pictures and with my little knowledge of vintage bikes at the time, i knew it was worth more than what he was asking for. I was the second guy to email him, he said he had a guy coming but he could only come out at night. with my smooth talking i ended up being the first guy to see it. I ended up paying an amazing price for the bike, if i told people most of you would hate me.

I dragged it home to show my brother and he said it was slightly big. I ended up taking everything apart and doing a full clean and overhaul and it turned out way better than i though, i took her out for a spin and fell in love with the bike. It had a 105 groupset with brifters, (this bike is also reponsible for me not wanting downtubes on any of my bikes as well). Anyways, i fixed it up really nice, cleaned it up and the paint was way better than i thought it was on the bike, it had tons of black speckels and mud and stuff that i thought the paint would be horrid. Anyways to make a long story short, this is still one of my prized bike possessions to this day. I know it's not the top of the line in the pinarello line but i still love it all the same.

I have made some revisions to the bike lately that i've wanted to do for a while. It always seemed like it was missing something to me, but now if feels very complete with a couple exceptions, but i'm very happy with how it is now.

I've provided a "before", "after" and "after after" pictures, i would state all the different changes from "after" to "after after", but i'll let you guys do all the spotting, let's see who can notice all the changes.

A special thanks goes out to IRVRI, Drillium Dude, and Dave H from the Roadbikereviewforums.com

(I posted this bike when i first became a member of bikeforums.net so you may have seen it before, but this is the newest condition that it is in. I hope you guys enjoy it, and feel free to post your updated pictures of your most recently wrenched bike in your collection as well, i always enjoy seeing pictures)

One pinarello down, now i gotta worry about building up my pinarello montello frame.....

BEFORE:
I wish i took a picture of it when i first got it, halfway through taking it apart i realized i didn't take a pic, so this is it, after cleaning and some parts taking off.

AFTER:

Old 11-10-11, 06:13 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And now AFTER AFTER

I think i'm gonna have to reshoot the after after photos, the lighting wasn't all that great at the time but i couldn't resist putting them on the forum

Last edited by mapleleafs-13; 11-12-11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 06:22 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Looks amazing! I've been lucky enough to see this bike in person in most of its incarnations, and to ride it. I'm glad you've had the sense to hang onto your first love, considering all the bikes that have come through your hands. The Dura Ace looks great (the post finally matches!) and so does the Rolls.
Old 11-10-11, 06:27 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
That's a hot, ice blue steed! Nicely done.
Old 11-10-11, 06:31 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Edit: tires are looking a little dirty there, bud! if your looking for a hilarious experience, go for a ride with mapleleafs13 on a regular bike trail and watch his looks of misery and consternation at every single patch of dust and drop of water. He spends half the time walking and carrying his white tires over everything!
Old 11-10-11, 06:35 PM
pitbull007
Ban the Deed not da breed

Bikes: Fausto Coppi, Bianchi Limited, Manufrance, Panasonic, Gardin, Rossi, Miele, Carrero, Centurion, Nishiki tri A, Raleigh record, Haro Master bmx, Softride, CW Phaze 1 Bmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow Turned out amazing with the seat and dura ace,it must ride realllllllly nice
Old 11-10-11, 09:48 PM
Chef Bigs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
What bar wrap is that and where did you get it?
Old 11-11-11, 12:29 AM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Awesome. I love the dura ace.
Old 11-11-11, 03:35 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Beautiful bike, mapleleafs-13. Such fine upgrades. Elegant pimp.

(Tape is Pelten fade; they don't make it any more. )

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 11-11-11, 10:14 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Beautiful Pinarello! Likey likey.
Old 11-11-11, 11:05 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by devinfan
Edit: tires are looking a little dirty there, bud! if your looking for a hilarious experience, go for a ride with mapleleafs13 on a regular bike trail and watch his looks of misery and consternation at every single patch of dust and drop of water. He spends half the time walking and carrying his white tires over everything!
SHHHH....ur supposed to keep that between you and me, now all of C&V knows.

Generally i avoid anything dirty let along riding on grass with all my steeds, but with this one i have to be extra careful cause i hate cleaning the sidewall, yes i clean the sidewalls, doesn't take me long, but it completes the look. These tires have been ridden for a season on and off so they've kinda gotten that permanent dirt. but are still white, not the same shade of white as they were new though and yes i do pick up my bike and carry it over puddles on the bike paths.

Originally Posted by pitbull007
wow Turned out amazing with the seat and dura ace,it must ride realllllllly nice
Does she ever!, i always thought the 105 SC group with the beige finish was nice and functioned awesome, but i always thought the bike would could look better. i take her out for a maiden voyage soon.

Originally Posted by Chef Bigs
What bar wrap is that and where did you get it?
It is FUBAR handlebar tape, i think this company is geared towards fixie kids or whatnot but the tape was what i needed, Gaucho777 is right that pelten does make similar tape, i believe their tape is a little softer, the FUBAR stuff seems to be a little more dense and harder. BUT the nice part about the FUBAR tape is that it's not cork, so it doesn't get dirty easily because it's white, we all know how white cork handlebar tape looks after a while, blah....

here's the link for the FUBAR stuff:

this is the ebay search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=p3286.c0.m359

these next links are from jones bicycles:

https://jonesbicycles.com/product/f.u...-tape-1648.htm

They used to have red and purple on the site, but i can't find it

here's a link for the pelten stuff, pink anyone?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CYCLOLINEA-P...ht_1654wt_1163

test ride is today so i will keep you guys updated

Last edited by mapleleafs-13; 11-11-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 11:44 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
...test ride is today so i will keep you guys updated
I hope for your tire's sake it doesn't piss down with rain today

This is one beautiful build - particularly the paint. That's a fade job done just right! Parts selection is spot-on for the modern update, too. Fantastic final-final result, bud!

Glad I could help out, small as my contribution might have been.

Enjoy it in safety and good health.

DD
Old 11-11-11, 12:04 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks DD!

anyways here's the upgrades , it seems like most of you have caught the obvious ones.

the old bike had shimano 105SC group with brifters, The majority of the bike is Dura Ace 7410 groupset, the brifters, brakes, cranks, derailleur, seat post (i already had), and a NOS in box Dura ace HG chain, I have a headset from this series but i don't have enough stack height on the current fork, so i will have to keep an eye out for a NOS pinarello for on ebay or so, the current shimano 105 headset will do for now.
I do need a nice set of wheels with dura ace hubs that accept an 8 speed cassette if you guys have a pair for sale in good condition please let me know.

I will have to say that this is probably one of the nicest looking groups for anything 8 speed, i love that rear derailleur and crank i think it's much nicer than the dura ace 7400 groups, the major differences from the 7400 is the crank, dual pivot brakes, front derailleur, seat post, and i believe the brifters?

I believe i made a post here a while back asking about san marco supercorsa, rolls, selle italia saddles, and most of you voted for the turbo i believe, whatever it was i still went with a perforated san marco rolls saddle, i got ride of my fizik saddle cause after reading and learning a bit more on the forums i realied that fizik just wouldn't cut it but i do like the rolls a bazillion times better.

one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far was the cable housing. i changed it from black to white using shimano SLR brake housing and shimano SP-15 non compression gear housing, i even have Dura Ace brake cables (bike nerd alert)
Old 11-11-11, 01:22 PM
Dave Hickey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great looking build...That turned out fantastic......( and yes, I post over here sometime too:-))
Old 11-11-11, 01:42 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I'll pile on with everyone else here.. That's a great looking bike, and the tape(I'm normally a solid bland color guy) flows well with the bike. Nice work.

Here is my contribution.

Before: this was a day or two away from getting melted down( bought what you see here from a metal recycler for $8)

After: Had to source brakes and wheels, and a couple other things. I rode it through last winter and then hung it up until the end of summer.

I found a 6500 group for a good price, so I blew the bike apart and changed a few things

Last winter took its toll on the white fenders, so I looked around for a replacement set, and found these Honjos for $20 on CL. Here it is in current garb. I was thinking last night about what to do with the old parts from this(other than store them). I have a new project that will use most of the old pieces, and will compliment this bike at the same time(I hope).

Last edited by Roger M; 11-11-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 02:45 PM
Bimdapogs

Bikes: 97 Merlin XLight, 99 Merlin XLM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
if your looking for a hilarious experience, go for a ride with mapleleafs13 on a regular bike trail and watch his looks of misery and consternation at every single patch of dust and drop of water. He spends half the time walking and carrying his white tires over everything!
SHHHH....ur supposed to keep that between you and me, now all of C&V knows.

Generally i avoid anything dirty let along riding on grass with all my steeds, but with this one i have to be extra careful cause i hate cleaning the sidewall, yes i clean the sidewalls, doesn't take me long, but it completes the look. These tires have been ridden for a season on and off so they've kinda gotten that permanent dirt. but are still white, not the same shade of white as they were new though and yes i do pick up my bike and carry it over puddles on the bike paths.
LMAO! Too funny!

test ride is today so i will keep you guys updated
I hope the weather didn't ruin you plan. It was too COLD this morning, I didn't end up riding as planned..
Old 11-11-11, 03:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Amazing builds. I thought I heard some wringing out there when the DA showed up on the Pin'
but I've got no problem with it.

I'll play.....

Before, by a barn in Montana. 2x6 NR, Ofmega and Universal parts, Sunshine skewers...
I sold everything but the frame and headset, stem and bars...and started looking around.

After, with a mix of Chorus/Veloce stuff, SSM sadle, Hope Tech/Ambrosios, generic stem (same bars/stem/headset)

After After, with Campy seatpost, better fitting Cinelli stem, all Chorus group w/Eurus wheelset, clinchers.
I've aged, however, and the 12-19 rear has had to give way to reality. I'm now running a 12-21. Humbling.

I'm working on a "final answer," which may well involve newer, but more traditional wheels and an upgraded group.
I'm also going to have the frame clearcoated for a little more durability and protection for the decals.
The "takeoffs" will probably go to another bike that will then qualify as a "Before, After, then After" bike.

I plan to ride it a lot more in 2012, as part of a "main" 3-bike rotation: Turbo, this, and a player to be named later.

Like our Toronto friend, I have a close relative of this bike in the works, but I have no "before" pics.
It came to me as a frame; I have about 25 sq cm of the frame left to scrub to bare metal, by hand, with steel wool.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-11-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-12-11, 01:38 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roger M and robbietunes, those are both beautiful bikes, i do quite enjoy both of them, i like robbie's better cause it looks like it's my size

UPDATE :

anyways took her out for a test ride yesterday and everything shifts and rides smoothly, the braking is phenominal.

The dura ace shifting is awesome, super smooth, slightly smoother than the 105SC group i had with brifters, but those were already amazing. I would have to say that 105 SC group is definitely underrated, if you guys were looking for a group to try out brifting with or for a cheaper setup, i suggest you get ahold of one of those groups cause they usually are fairly priced. Unlike the dura ace group on my bike right now, it was definitely more expensive to get a few of the parts i wanted, but it's the way i wanted. Once again i just gotta say that shifting is awesome with shimano, i will have to say it's better than campy of that era, even the c-record stuff with ergo brifters. It never misses a shift and shifts smoothly. Other than a minor derailleur adjustment the bike is awesome!!!!!

thanks for all the comments guys
Old 11-12-11, 03:07 PM
pinch1967

Bikes: Somec ,Eddy Merckx , Basso Ascot ,Specialized Allez pro , cervelo,

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
before
Old 11-12-11, 03:08 PM
pinch1967

Bikes: Somec ,Eddy Merckx , Basso Ascot ,Specialized Allez pro , cervelo,

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
after
Old 11-13-11, 11:18 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice Masi, why'd u repaint, i really liked the white color, was the paint bad?

Also i do have my bike poster on velospace.org so if you have an account on there please feel free to leave a comment, i see robbietunes has already found it, lol....here's the link:

https://velospace.org/node/39934

**** ON ANOTHER NOTE

i'm also looking for a pair of dura ace wheels with an 8 speed hub with cassette in the the 7400 series, if you have a pair for sale please feel free to PM me
Old 11-14-11, 08:23 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Before, as in, before it was even made, or sold:

After, as in, after it was made and ridden for 60 years, but before I'd done anything to it:

And after, as in, after I've overhauled it, put on some new (old) parts, including fenders, crank, saddle, bag, and wheels. I reused the headlights that came with the bike, which are not correct, especially now that I've converted them to LED's. Bright, though!
Old 11-14-11, 01:31 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Really nice work, rhm!

It is FUBAR handlebar tape...
Thanks for the info re the tape.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.