Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How important is bicycling to you?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How important is bicycling to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 05:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
We can't afford a car, it just put's too much stress on our meger budget, I have two very mean forms of arthritis and it makes walking a chore. Although it still hurts to ride a bicycle, I can actually get somewhere at a distance in a decent time frame and I REALLY do not like riding the city bus due to bladder control problems in my being 50+. I totally MISS owing a motorcycle so we could do "longer distance touring" in a much shorter time span than trying to do it via bicycles. Motorcycles are VERY expensive, upkeep wise, tire's are insanely priced for the few miles you get out them, maint. shop time is close to $100 an hour, nowadays and accessiories are even more expensive. The bicycle is the ONLY "moving vechical" that works for us, we can get to work, get food, haul stuff, ride across town in a fairly short time. Without the bicycle I'd have to walk to the store, haul the food in a two wheeled cart, hassle getting that kinda load on a city bus, we'd be STUCK to this area only for recreation, ect. My bicycles are extremly important to ME!
Not sure how cycling and arthritis play together. Since it's generally how impact, it's easier on your joints. But there are some cycling styles that might not work too well. If you have to do a lot of hills, good idea to get really low gearing and spin up the hill.

I have some arthritic pain in my hands from time to time and if you do, might be an idea to have a more upright riding position... although that will slow you down in wind and even just regular pedaling.
Old 10-04-12, 12:30 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Ice is easily avoided. Don't ride after ice storms, or any time when you think it might be too slippery. Or you can stick mostly to riding on the arterial roads and intemediate roads that are scraped and salted, and walk your bike on the little side streets. If you follow this plan, you shouldn't even need special tires and riding will be possible many days of the winter.

However, you might find that riding a bike (with studded tires) is easier than walking when it's slick--especially if you're a klutz.
Black ice anyone? Ice is not always predictable.

A coworker rides her bike all winter. Last year she lost control of her bike on a hidden patch of ice, fell, and cracked two ribs. Ouch.

(I'm guessing her situation isn't all that unusual; it could certainly happen to me....)
Old 10-04-12, 03:48 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gerv
Not sure how cycling and arthritis play together. Since it's generally how impact, it's easier on your joints. But there are some cycling styles that might not work too well.
I suppose it depends on the individual, but my orthopedist told me bicycling is the best thing for arthritic knees.
Old 10-04-12, 06:21 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleobsidian

A coworker rides her bike all winter. Last year she lost control of her bike on a hidden patch of ice, fell, and cracked two ribs. Ouch.

(I'm guessing her situation isn't all that unusual; it could certainly happen to me....)
True black ice is fairly rare, there is plenty of glare ice that is hard to see, however studded tires and careful riding make that a non issue IMHO. If I lived some where ice was a seasonal thing, like Minneapolis I would definitely have a second set of wheels or a second bike set up with studded tires.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-04-12, 09:14 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleobsidian

Black ice is not some mysterious thing like black holes. It's ice that freezes clear, so it's a little harder to see. Usually you can see it fine from the seat of a bike, if you're paying proper attention. It's less visible from a car seat. A small patch of black ice usually won't affect bike handling.

But actually, like I said in an earlier post, my suggestion was for you not to ride in icy conditions. That would be a few days out of the entire winter--possibly more in the mid-southern latitudes. In areas that get a lot of snow, side streets may not get plowed, so they can get icy when the cars pack down the snow. But main streets and intermediate streets are plowed and salted in most locations. 24 hours after a winter storm, they are typically passable by bike or car. Usually in the city or suburb, it's just a matter of walking your bike a couple blocks to a more major street, then riding most of the way to your destination, maybe walking the last couple blocks.

It's up to you, of course, but I think it would be fun and convenient for you to cycle--even on only half the winter days. You seem to have a sense of adventure, so I bet you could really get into it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-04-12, 11:37 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Black ice looks just like wet pavement. Which around here, generally surrounds it. We don't get it enough to make me invest in studded tires, thankfully. But it's nasty.
Old 10-04-12, 05:51 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
True black ice is fairly rare, there is plenty of glare ice that is hard to see, however studded tires and careful riding make that a non issue IMHO. If I lived some where ice was a seasonal thing, like Minneapolis I would definitely have a second set of wheels or a second bike set up with studded tires.

Aaron
+1Many of us do. Mine is luxuriating in the living room as I write this.
Old 10-04-12, 08:47 PM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know bicycling is important to me and since my car bit the dust i would love to get ahold of a recumbent trike instead of a bike i'll ride what i got but that is what i want i figure since i'm gonna stay riding this time i might as well get something i would like to ride yeah they are different riding and some are hard to peddle but i think it would be a lot better ride for my situation
Old 10-05-12, 12:13 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 855 Posts
Cycling has exceeded any reasonable expectation I might have had when I started, with a vague goal of getting fit. I lost over 100 pounds, I saved enough being carfree to buy my condo, I set and acheived some lofty goals, like a triple century this year.

I'm not burned out yet. I hope to continue into old age in some capacity. I think I'd even enjoy a career in some aspect of cycling, if I could get past the health insurance hurdle.
Old 10-05-12, 01:07 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate the stuff. The only time I ever came off my motorcycle was because of that stuff. Had 200kg of machine come down on my thigh and it was tender for weeks afterwards. As for biking.. if I can ride my motorcycle all through the winter to work then I can ride a bike. It will be warmer at least. If my wife were to say "Stop riding or I'll leave you." Then I guess I'd be single because there is no way I'm stoppping riding.
Old 10-05-12, 02:55 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding is very important to me. I turned 71 last month. I ride to keep fit and because I enjoy it. I hope to keep it up for at least another 20 years.
Old 10-05-12, 10:24 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Hate the stuff. The only time I ever came off my motorcycle was because of that stuff. Had 200kg of machine come down on my thigh and it was tender for weeks afterwards. As for biking.. if I can ride my motorcycle all through the winter to work then I can ride a bike. It will be warmer at least. If my wife were to say "Stop riding or I'll leave you." Then I guess I'd be single because there is no way I'm stoppping riding.
Me too, I low sided heading into a shaded curve. At least I didn't get hurt.

I've ridden my motorcycle on lots of ice. I've never felt particularly smart about it though.
Old 11-04-12, 11:48 AM
longhaulblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in defiance. In rage. In solitude. In despair. When I am blue. It restores me. To hear a little kid wave and say hi to me when I'm on my bike and she on hers with training wheels still mounted. To wander through streets unknown in the dusk of a warm summer evening.

Bicycling is very important to me.
Old 11-04-12, 12:02 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by longhaulblue
I ride in defiance. In rage. In solitude. In despair. When I am blue. It restores me. To hear a little kid wave and say hi to me when I'm on my bike and she on hers with training wheels still mounted. To wander through streets unknown in the dusk of a warm summer evening.

Nice post! It describes what many of us feel about cycling.
Old 11-04-12, 12:15 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by longhaulblue

WOW! I was going to say something like this and after reading your post realized I could not even come close to how you said it. Well said and right on the spot.
Old 11-12-12, 01:16 PM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike has replaced my gym and my car, if I need a car I have money to rent one. The cost of car ownership is not going down. I love having money in the bank, I love being in good shape. i see nothing but win win in this scenario.to sum it up Cycling is everything to me.
Old 11-14-12, 04:24 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've rode bikes for most of my life. Sometimes because I couldn't afford a car, but mostly just because I like the freedom of riding a bike. The government uses cars, and the so-called 'privilege' of driving, to intimidate, persecute, and take money from people. They can't do that if you ride a bike. I also refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for gasoline. I don't even have a Drivers License anymore (by choice...).

Riding is calming to me, and also satisfies my incessant need for adventure. Every little errand becomes an odyssey. I can go where I want, whenever I want, without having to have governmental permission, or worry about being detained because my papers, and car tags were not in order. I am truly free.....largely because of my bicycles.
Old 11-14-12, 05:28 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund

Riding is calming to me, and also satisfies my incessant need for adventure. Every little errand becomes an odyssey.
For me too.
Old 11-14-12, 05:41 AM
Singlespeed92
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm not riding,you can bet your chainlube that I'm THINKING about riding or bikes in general
Old 11-14-12, 04:30 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bicycle itself means nothing to me, its just that walking is too slow, cars are too expensive and public transportation usually doesn't go where I want it to go.
Old 11-14-12, 04:57 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a great antidepressant.
I defy anyone to stay glum on a bicycle.
Old 11-15-12, 02:23 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Biking is important to me because its my only transportation besides walking, it allows me to get food and supplies, exercise, explore different places and meet new people with out costing too much, and a reliable way to get to work and back.
Old 11-15-12, 11:15 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling is extremely important to my quality of life. It allows me to be independent and get to places I need to go. I don't like walking (a waste of time unless it is a romantic walk) to destinations beyond 5 blocks. I refuse to take public transit because it's crowded, stinks, expensive, full of loud mouthed a***h, and also a waste of my time. So, by bicycling, I'm independent, save a ton of money, stay fit, and avoid all the hassles mentioned above.

Being in the moment of bicycling is also one of the few moments when my brain isn't thinking. I get into the zone and just ride, and so bicycling for me is a form of meditation where nothing is on my mind at all. Just my legs and body are in motion, mind peaceful and calm (most of the time!). I can't sustain any inner dialogue or story or fantasy when I'm riding my bicycle. I really like this feeling of being completely free of thought on my bicycle. Sometimes I get sad when the ride is over because the thinking starts again!

I spend a lot of time reading bike stuff (news, advocacy, this forum), looking at new bikes, dreaming of new builds...

Last edited by agent pombero; 11-15-12 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-16-12, 10:55 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bicycling is the rock I hook my mental anchor to for my sanity.

Even if I don't ride ,at times, I still am involved with cycling in some fashion to keep me sane.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-16-12, 06:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
. It allows me to be independent and get to places I need to go. I don't like walking (a waste of time unless it is a romantic walk) to destinations beyond 5 blocks.
Yep. The bike is a great vehicle for anything over a mile or so. In North America -- with so many spread-out city layouts -- the bicycle is almost essential if you don't have a car.

If you were living in Manhattan though... that might be a different story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.