Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 09-17-19, 02:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Had a doc appointment on the far North side of Peoria, today, so I decided to ride up the Illinois River for a change, something I don't often get to do.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-17-19, 03:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Thanks. Someone else on here has a Breville. Anyway, I'm still shopping and putt-putting along with my Nespresso.
Cool. My general advice would be:
  • No steam toys - the brewing pressure should be generated by a pump, not by boiling water
  • Heavier is better
  • Separates (grinding and brewing) are better
  • Parts should be reasonably priced and reasonably available
  • Having a timer or being compatible with a timer is huge
If you find yourself getting in to the $600+ region, start looking at specialty vendors such as Whole Latte Love.
Old 09-17-19, 03:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't know if anyone here is currently in the market, but CleverTraining is selling the CycleOps Hammer at $699. Awesome price for a wheel-off smart trainer.
Giving this serious consideration. Is it a good one and is it easy to hack for virtual doping?
Old 09-17-19, 03:47 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I frequented a local coffee shop for years and he employed a barista that was a coffee god to me. He had worked in a Cuban coffee shop for 10 years or more and could make anything and make it very good.

So, one dayI asked him what his favorite drink was and he took me to the back room and showed me a cheap drip machine, probably from Walmart or Target. He said that's all he drinks at home or at the shop. That's why the drip machine was hidden in the back so the customers couldn't see what he was drinking.

Burst my bubble!

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-17-19, 03:47 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

If you find yourself getting in to the $600+ region, start looking at specialty vendors such as Whole Latte Love.
That's where I've been online shopping.

Old 09-17-19, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Giving this serious consideration. Is it a good one and is it easy to hack for virtual doping?
Ha. As with all things trainer-related, I'd check the review on DCRainmaker. I would be shocked if it wasn't a viable choice among the ~$1k competitors, which would make it a great buy at $700.
Old 09-17-19, 04:05 PM
WhyFi

That's where I've been online shopping.
One thing that I really like about them is that they have a bit of a discount on good grinder/brew packages; for $600-700 you're looking at some great BFTB stuff.
Old 09-17-19, 04:13 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Ha. As with all things trainer-related, I'd check the review on DCRainmaker. I would be shocked if it wasn't a viable choice among the ~$1k competitors, which would make it a great buy at $700.
Saris bought Cycle Ops. They supposedly improved the Hammer and it's now called the H3.

https://www.saris.com/product/h3
Old 09-17-19, 04:31 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
Thanks. Someone else on here has a Breville. Anyway, I'm still shopping and putt-putting along with my Nespresso.

I have a Breville. Or maybe it's a Sunbeam (slightly different brand, almost identical actual machine). It's a basic thermoblock machine. works fine for my needs. I do have a seperate bench mounted grinder though. I buy beans that have been roasted locally and grind my own.

I have a pathological dislike of nespresso or other capsule machines: I dislike the idea of lots of wastefull and overpriced capsules.
Old 09-17-19, 04:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Only thing wrong with Nespresso is the cost of the coffee. The stuff is awesome.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-17-19, 04:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by gnome
I have a Breville. Or maybe it's a Sunbeam (slightly different brand, almost identical actual machine). It's a basic thermoblock machine. works fine for my needs. I do have a seperate bench mounted grinder though. I buy beans that have been roasted locally and grind my own.

I have a pathological dislike of nespresso or other capsule machines: I dislike the idea of lots of wastefull and overpriced capsules.
Nespresso capsules are fully recyclable by the maker. Stores that sell either the machines or the capsules will take the empties back from you and return them to Nespresso. Also Nespresso provides plastic bags that UPS will deliver back to Nespresso at no cost to the customer. The capsules are 100% aluminum like soda cans.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-17-19, 05:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
He said ‘no problem, he’ll bring some’. You like it black, right?
Yup, although in Spain I like "cafe con leche" which is half espresso and half milk. Is that what 'mericans call a latte?
Old 09-17-19, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Speaking of Spain, we booked our flight a few weeks ago and have a 3 hour layover at Gatwick. We just got an email stating that the connecting flight time has changed and we now have a 13 hour layover. And instead of arriving at 2PM we are arriving at midnight!

I am going to try to change this but may have to suck it up. Sad.
Old 09-17-19, 05:18 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Saris bought Cycle Ops. They supposedly improved the Hammer and it's now called the H3.

https://www.saris.com/product/h3
Ah, just so, and < $600 at several other vendors, including Amazon, where it’s $413.
Old 09-17-19, 05:44 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by datlas
Yup, although in Spain I like "cafe con leche" which is half espresso and half milk. Is that what 'mericans call a latte?
I don’t think the original coffee and milk mixtures in Europe were made with espresso except in Italy. A latte isn’t half and half, because the espresso is too strong to use that much of it. It is like 80 milk and 20 espresso or even more skewed. And cappuccinos and lattes are very weak, very milky. I doubt the Spanish version is 50/50 if they use espresso. That would be hellishly strong for a coffee with milk. The French cafe au lait and Austrian halb und halb used to be made with strong drip coffee which you could use at 50%. That drip coffee was nothing like espresso. But nowadays all the real national coffee drinks have been replaced with espresso-based drinks like in Italy. I remember being surprised to hear the espresso machine working 15 or more years ago when I ordered a cafe au lait in Paris. Funnily the one place you still get a 50/50 cafe au lait made with drip coffee is New Orleans. That is one place where things just never change.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-17-19, 05:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

Also Nespresso has some coffees like espresso that can be made into cappuccinos/lattes and some that are more dilute and can be used 50/50 with milk to make a cafe au lait. The latter are called luongos and resemble Americanos, espressos diluted with hot water.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-17-19, 05:53 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ah, just so, and < $600 at several other vendors, including Amazon, where it’s $413.
really? I'm not seeing it, but that would be tempting.
Old 09-17-19, 05:54 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Only thing wrong with Nespresso is the cost of the coffee. The stuff is awesome.
Yes. Right now, my favorite is their Cuban and its 50% higher than their average pod. I complained to them and they said they would review the price.

One thing that I learned was to be sure and buy their expensive cleaner and use it. I kept blowing capsules and running the simple cleaning cycle fixed it temporarily but eventually, I had to buy their cleaning solution.

Old 09-17-19, 05:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Speaking of Spain, we booked our flight a few weeks ago and have a 3 hour layover at Gatwick. We just got an email stating that the connecting flight time has changed and we now have a 13 hour layover. And instead of arriving at 2PM we are arriving at midnight!

I am going to try to change this but may have to suck it up. Sad.
Depending on how many of you are flying, you may want to just end your US originating flight at Gatwick and pay extra cash for an inter-city shuttle to Spain. I do this sometimes when I use reward point to get across the ocean. For less than $100 each person we can change to a shuttle flight in from almost any European capital to other European cities. That is easier than trying to find a reward itinerary going exactly where you want to go. Question is whether those fly from Gatwick or just Heathrow. If bottom line I had that kind of layover at Gatwick, I would take the train into the city, see some sights, have a good meal, maybe even take an inexpensive hotel room to get a shower and a nap. The trains are so reliable, it is dead easy.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-17-19, 06:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

really? I'm not seeing it, but that would be tempting.
It was from the link in the DCRM review and it just changed to 565. Swear to God!
Old 09-17-19, 06:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Also Nespresso has some coffees like espresso that can be made into cappuccinos/lattes and some that are more dilute and can be used 50/50 with milk to make a cafe au lait. The latter are called luongos and resemble Americanos, espressos diluted with hot water.
Yep and yep. The coffee in the pic is two "espresso" caps (Nespresso Diavolitto) and hot water. Generally, I'll make my own "cortadito" with two Diavolitto caps, frothed milk from their Aerocino, and a two tsps. of raw sugar in the same 5.5 oz. cup above.

Old 09-17-19, 06:02 PM
rpenmanparker 

Yes. Right now, my favorite is their Cuban and its 50% higher than their average pod. I complained to them and they said they would review the price.

One thing that I learned was to be sure and buy their expensive cleaner and use it. I kept blowing capsules and running the simple cleaning cycle fixed it temporarily but eventually, I had to buy their cleaning solution.
Yeah, about once a year. Amazon has the authentic descaler in a two pack. Decent price.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-17-19, 06:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Latte is with steamed milk. Most espresso joints I've been to opt for French and call espresso with non-steamed milk cafe au lait
Old 09-17-19, 06:08 PM
rpenmanparker 

Yep and yep. The coffee in the pic is two "espresso" caps (Nespresso Diavolitto) and hot water. Generally, I'll make my own "cortadito" with two Diavolitto caps, frothed milk from their Aerocino, and a two tsps. of raw sugar in the same 5.5 oz. cup above.
The Luongo route is of course cheaper. 5oz of strong coffee for the standard price. You know, they also have double espressos for near the price of a single. That is a good deal, but no decaf in that size. As for frothed milk, I really don’t get it. Nasty cleanup. I just make the coffee , add cold milk to the cup and put it into the microwave. The crema is so thick, the appearance isn’t all that different from frothing the milk. Not the same, but close enough for me.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 09-17-19 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 06:19 PM
WhyFi

As for frothed milk, I really don’t get it. Nasty cleanup. I just make the coffee , add cold milk to the cup and put it into the microwave. The crema is so thick, the appearance isn’t all that different from frothing the milk. Not the same, but close enough for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.