Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

looking for a water bottle that doesn't smell like plastic...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

looking for a water bottle that doesn't smell like plastic...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 08:07 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have plastic bottles from Specialized, because that's what's at the LBS, and I usually end up buying another as a token purchase whenever I spend a Saturday morning in the shop just BSing. I haven't noticed a plastic taste, but it wouldn't stop me drinking the water, if I needed it!
Old 02-24-16, 02:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Another in the many votes for the Camelback Podium Chill or Ice (which is more insulated)

I have tried a lot of cycling bottles because they are popular swag from a lot of companies and even if a company gave me a thousand free bottles I would still pay full price for a Camelback Podium Chill. I have not seen or tried a better bottle and yes I have used the Specialized Purist bottles. I have put tablets in and then rinsed the bottle and put fresh water in and no taste from that tablet. I don't really think you can beat that.

For non-cycling use I like the Klean Kanteen but I wouldn't want it cycling even with the sport cap.
Old 02-24-16, 02:46 PM
Blue Church2

Bikes: 2015 Trek Madone 62cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second (or third) the Purist Specialized bottles. They flow well and doesn't have the plastic taste with filtered water. It's also incredibly durable.
Old 02-24-16, 04:01 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Another in the many votes for the Camelback Podium Chill or Ice (which is more insulated)

I have tried a lot of cycling bottles because they are popular swag from a lot of companies and even if a company gave me a thousand free bottles I would still pay full price for a Camelback Podium Chill. I have not seen or tried a better bottle and yes I have used the Specialized Purist bottles. I have put tablets in and then rinsed the bottle and put fresh water in and no taste from that tablet. I don't really think you can beat that.

For non-cycling use I like the Klean Kanteen but I wouldn't want it cycling even with the sport cap.
The only cycling plastic bottle i have bought in my life was the camelbak podium chill and the taste was so horrible that it is the reason why i avoid plastic bottles at all cost. ( i got dizzy after drinking into it after a long ride in summer, i add no more water left in my other bottles. Don't know if it was because of the plastic taste or because i didn't drink enough, all i know is that the taste was horrible). I also have a klean kanteen bottle and the taste is bad as well (takes more time to be noticeable). Come on.
I don't know much about the specialized purist bottle though.

Last edited by erig007; 02-24-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 12:50 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I use the bottle water comes in at the store......They cost a dollar.....They come full of water....Every store has them if I need another.....They don't taste funky.....They fit a stock cage.....What's not to like?
Old 02-25-16, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
The only cycling plastic bottle i have bought in my life was the camelbak podium chill and the taste was so horrible that it is the reason why i avoid plastic bottles at all cost. ( i got dizzy after drinking into it after a long ride in summer, i add no more water left in my other bottles. Don't know if it was because of the plastic taste or because i didn't drink enough, all i know is that the taste was horrible). I also have a klean kanteen bottle and the taste is bad as well (takes more time to be noticeable). Come on.
I don't know much about the specialized purist bottle though.
That is very surprising. I have 5 different Podium Chills (ok ones an Ice) from them and have had no issues as you have described. I wonder how long ago that was, my bottles range from 3.5 years old to 1 year old. I have had some bad tasting water if it has sat in one of my bottles for a long long time which doesn't happen often. I have taken them on tours in hot weather, used them hiking and for all my rides. I am sensitive to bad tasting water so bad bottles don't fly well with me.

I would literally get in touch with Camelback and talk with them about the issue. I wish I had the contact for the Cback rep from my old shop. She was great and I am sure would have tried to figure out the issue right away and resolve it. In the one time I dealt with Cback directly they had great customer service.

The Klean Kanteen sometimes get a little more stale and is especially bad in the sun but most bottles are going to be like that.

You might try the Purist and see how that one works for you. I didn't dislike the water coming out if it was cool but I certainly didn't like the way it came out so that is why I wasn't a fan.
Old 02-26-16, 11:54 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
I use the bottle water comes in at the store......They cost a dollar.....They come full of water....Every store has them if I need another.....They don't taste funky.....They fit a stock cage.....What's not to like?
I have found myself doing this recently but do have a few issues with this. One, it's not snug in the bottle cage and rattles around a bit. Doesn't fall out but got close when going over rough patches. Two, not to environmentally friendly. I would like to do my part in saving the environment, thus, would like a recyclable bottle.

I found this store type water bottle that is sold by Propel that fits snugly in my cage but it has a screw in cap. I think I saw these drinks that comes in a pop-up type cap. Will check my local 7-11 store if they have any.

The Polar bottles look pretty cool for the price. Might ask my kids to get me one for my birthday at the end of this month. I think they can handle it...
Old 02-27-16, 05:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its partly the bottle and its you.

Just add a little something to the water and much of the "taste" will go away. There's no health rule that says "water only".
Old 03-01-16, 05:53 AM
chrislee99777
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use plastic bottle after cleaning with boiling water.But I prefer stainless bottle
Old 03-02-16, 04:59 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Its partly the bottle and its you.

Just add a little something to the water and much of the "taste" will go away. There's no health rule that says "water only".
Sure, plastic is good, it helps keeping the skin fresh longer. No need for a plastic surgeon
Old 09-03-21, 04:24 PM
mixte1906

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Fabrications Cleartaste Bottle. Still squeezable like you would want. Just thicker PET plastic. Other makers prevent their LDPE bottles from giving off a taste by adding a chemical coating on it. That coating eventually wears off though and i don't want to drink another chemical.
Old 09-03-21, 05:34 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Buy a stainless steel bottle.
Will it slow me down?

gm
Old 09-05-21, 09:42 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
There are plenty of ways to protect a glass bottle. For impacts the one that worked well for me was to go the helmet way: rigid outer layer-softer inner layer : duct tape-bubble wrap (+ a fancy cover) or plastic bottle-bubble wrap.... . Dropped the bottle a few times with no trouble.

If i remember correctly the studies i read a few years back plastics that got the best results against heat and UV were HDPE and PP.
Seriously? You'd really rather do all that than just buy a Camelbak that's made for cycling? I'm all for being thrifty, but some on here just really takes it to the extreme.
Old 09-05-21, 10:47 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
just piss in the bottle and let it sit for a few days.

it will never smell like plastic again.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 09-05-21, 11:31 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
A lot of the BPA (bisphenol A) and phthalate-free polyethylene water bottles are coated with silicon dioxide the make them taste and order free. The bicycle water bottle makers call this the Purist treatment. Silicon dioxide is found naturally in things like bell peppers and brown rice. I find these bottles to be taste free but there are some questions to the safety of using plastic bottles for drinking water. If you are worried about it use a stainless steel bottle. Most tin cans are lined with BPA so just avoiding plastic bottles doesn't make you BPA free. I'm OK with the plastic bicycle water bottles and only get the ones with the Purist treatment.
Cheers
Old 09-06-21, 08:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
Twist off cap cannot be manipulated easily while riding, unless you (1) sit up to no handed, or (2) use your teeth. The twist off cap is a no-go for me.