Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Perineum issues. INSANELY frustrating

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Perineum issues. INSANELY frustrating

Old 09-05-21, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Measuring sit bones is questionable to me. The structures that we call our sit bones narrow as the pelvis leans forward. So the saddle profile has to match that.

I'd wonder if part of the OP issue is that they are being pulled forward on their saddle still from a poor fit and as another mentioned simply sitting to heavy in their saddle. A slow rider will sit heavier than a fast rider in the saddle, IMO.

It might be that the OP needs a different style bike for their riding if they are just out for a long leisure ride.
Old 09-05-21, 08:39 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Yes, could be very frustrating.
I was married less than a week and the saddle coming out of adjustment on the way home from work made it so my second favorite sport was not happening for most of that night. I was able to solve the problem with a new seat post and didn't have to choose which sport to get rid of. I'm still married after nearly 38years.
Old 09-05-21, 09:12 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I was married less than a week and the saddle coming out of adjustment on the way home from work made it so my second favorite sport was not happening for most of that night. I was able to solve the problem with a new seat post and didn't have to choose which sport to get rid of. I'm still married after nearly 38years.
That was quick thinking. She must have loved that seatpost.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-05-21, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Measuring sit bones is questionable to me. The structures that we call our sit bones narrow as the pelvis leans forward. So the saddle profile has to match that.

I'd wonder if part of the OP issue is that they are being pulled forward on their saddle still from a poor fit and as another mentioned simply sitting to heavy in their saddle. A slow rider will sit heavier than a fast rider in the saddle, IMO.

It might be that the OP needs a different style bike for their riding if they are just out for a long leisure ride.
If everyone measures them the same way, the measurement you get might not be the exact functional width between the ischial tuberosities, but it will tell you whether you need a narrow, medium, or wide saddle. It's like an instrument that gives a consistent bias in the readings - you still get useful information.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-05-21, 10:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Most instructions take pelvic tilt in to account, whether by measuring while tilted or by compensating afterward.
Old 09-05-21, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
It's not that I'm opposed to getting sit bones measured. I just don't put much faith that that will be the miracle for the OP. Just trying saddles in general that have different widths and profiles will cover that with out even having to know what the sit bone measurement is.

Since the angle of ones pelvis on the saddle will make a difference, then I'm not certain that measurement even applies because when in my normal riding position on the hoods, I'm not even on the part of the saddle that they measure width at. So still it gets back to the particular profile of that individual saddle.

Perhaps the measurement should be made when in a more upright position. However just like measuring a person for the right size bike frame, this is measurement that probably doesn't work for all. There is still some judgement, artistry and hokus pokus that goes into suggesting the right saddle or bike for another.
Old 09-05-21, 12:49 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
At one point, I went with the recommendation based on the Specialized ass-o-meter. I did not hear or see anything that took into account anything about the pubic rami, the parts of the pelvis that come forward from the ischial tuberosities.

If it's not a prostate problem, it's probably excessive pressure on your pubic nerve and/or artery. I recommend reading the Selle SMP patent application and the material on ismseat.com on the design principles of their ,,,um... device (the one that fits on a seat post which is typically inserted into the seat tube).
Old 09-05-21, 10:10 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Tilt the nose of the saddle down just a hair. Keep doing that till you find your sit-bones.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 09-06-21, 12:53 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
It's not that I'm opposed to getting sit bones measured. I just don't put much faith that that will be the miracle for the OP. Just trying saddles in general that have different widths and profiles will cover that with out even having to know what the sit bone measurement is.

Since the angle of ones pelvis on the saddle will make a difference, then I'm not certain that measurement even applies because when in my normal riding position on the hoods, I'm not even on the part of the saddle that they measure width at. So still it gets back to the particular profile of that individual saddle.

Perhaps the measurement should be made when in a more upright position. However just like measuring a person for the right size bike frame, this is measurement that probably doesn't work for all. There is still some judgement, artistry and hokus pokus that goes into suggesting the right saddle or bike for another.
If you ride a road bike with the handlebars. lower than the seat height by some inches than a narrower seat and a different saddle angle is needed than on something like this.

I believe sit bone width can have some effect on the OPs problem but it is most likely more of a seat angle problem. The OP has declined to show pictures of the bicycle and there riding position, so we are just speculating about this.
Old 09-06-21, 01:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Maybe a recumbent bike if you want to stick with cycling.
Even a recumbent is no guaranteed fix. But yes, perineal problems with bents are extremely rare. Reason: You're sitting on a seat, not a saddle. There are several problems with bents:
1. They're an expensive 'fix.'
2. The common "slower up and faster on down/flats" story isn't entirely true, mostly because things aren't that simple. But it's safe to say they're different.
3. They take a different set of muscles and riding technique. Balance is different when you're more reclined.

Here's a photo taken during the build of my avatar bike, to illustrate the seat. Lowracers are finicky beasts. But faster than stink.

Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-06-21, 07:05 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Tilt the nose of the saddle down just a hair. Keep doing that till you find your sit-bones.
And then tilt the seat back until you're not slipping forward, and you'll find the right position for the saddle.
Old 09-10-21, 06:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Just to close this out, OP has found a solution.
Old 09-10-21, 07:07 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
yup
Old 09-10-21, 11:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I don't understand ANY of this discussion at all. Really?

The OP complains of soft tissue pressure BETWEEN the supporting points of his pelvic bone(s). That means that it's not the pitch angle of the saddle, but the CROWN or CROSS-SECTION of the saddle between where the pelvis is supported. That's where the interference is. Too much contact where it's not needed at all.

So, OP, why don't you post a photo of the saddle that you're riding? I going to offer a blind guess that in cross-section at the seat area, it's bowed downward toward the sides or crowned. Also, it's likely that you have one that has gel padding or some such, so is too thick and/or soft. This spreads out the contact pressure, which you don't want.

You want a concave saddle, one with a pronounced channel that cannot give pressure. The sit points should be firm and flat, and as narrow as needed to support your pelvis at the tilt angle(s) where you will ride. Your fitter should have already explained this to you. A better anatomical saddle would be advisable.

Look at Kontact saddles, for example.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-11-21, 07:42 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
Stand more
Old 09-12-21, 12:39 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Entirely possible.
I wouldn’t go that far yet. Have you tried lowering the saddle 2 mm at a time? Improvement would be that you are able to ride a little longer before pain returns. Too much pressure can’t be relieved by raising the saddle. Also, try to feel if your sit bones are on the wide part of the saddle, and are staying there. You can sit on your finger to check this. If not, move the saddle a few mm forward. If you feel that you might be sliding forward just by sitting, raise the saddle nose just a millimeter at a time, or the smallest possible amount.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-12-21, 12:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ I don't understand ANY of this discussion at all. Really?

The OP complains of soft tissue pressure BETWEEN the supporting points of his pelvic bone(s). That means that it's not the pitch angle of the saddle, but the CROWN or CROSS-SECTION of the saddle between where the pelvis is supported. That's where the interference is. Too much contact where it's not needed at all.

So, OP, why don't you post a photo of the saddle that you're riding? I going to offer a blind guess that in cross-section at the seat area, it's bowed downward toward the sides or crowned. Also, it's likely that you have one that has gel padding or some such, so is too thick and/or soft. This spreads out the contact pressure, which you don't want.

You want a concave saddle, one with a pronounced channel that cannot give pressure. The sit points should be firm and flat, and as narrow as needed to support your pelvis at the tilt angle(s) where you will ride. Your fitter should have already explained this to you. A better anatomical saddle would be advisable.

Look at Kontact saddles, for example.
Kontact would not be a bad idea, nor would a Selle Anatomica or a Brooks Imperial. Also I beg to differ: I think perineal pain can be caused by a saddle of the shape you describe if the body is sliding forward off of the support points.
Old 09-12-21, 12:56 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just to close this out, OP has found a solution.
When I started to try to self-fit, I found I had to let any pains or injuries, like abrasion or excessive pressure, heal before testing out a new position. Because I had a target of an event ride and had to train for it (60 miles a day two days in a row), the first metric was to ride long enough and often enough to actually improve my distance at about 12 mph average.
Old 09-12-21, 04:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Kontact would not be a bad idea, nor would a Selle Anatomica or a Brooks Imperial. Also I beg to differ: I think perineal pain can be caused by a saddle of the shape you describe if the body is sliding forward off of the support points.
I agree.
Old 09-12-21, 05:24 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I really like the Specialized Power saddles, they come in wide sizes which allows most everyone to find a saddle width where the sit bones are adequately supported, and come with a cutout.

I angle it down a bit (designed to be done that way), set it low enough that it doesn't cause undue pressure or instability while pedalling, and basically it disappears under me, could and did go on basically all day without issue.
​​​​​
​​​​​​Basically the idea is to avoid contact between the perineum and the saddle. If the nose is sticking up, well then. Stopping sliding forward by pushing against the saddle with your sensitive bits doesn't sound like a capital idea.
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 09-12-21 at 05:30 AM.